1. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

Gargoyles to Similiar to Vampires

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by J.P.Clyde, Aug 12, 2011.

Boy, do I write a lot of threads.

In my tales of Sydonia, I have the story of Gargoyles. Well more like the plague of the Holy Church. Gargoyles had always been used by the churches as a way to convey messages of the Holy word.

In my story Gargoyles atop churches can be controlled by certain priest and priestess to bring them alive, but only during the night. As one tale goes that gargoyles sleep during the day. Also these priest and priestess have the power to curse people, almost like witches, into gargoyle statues. Using the power of the divine church to awaken them.

It seems that these holy churches want to bring down the government. To give rise to their own king. Whom was not voted upon in Sydonia. This king the church wants to elect is one governed by the holy word of their god.

The tale has a lot of adventure, mystery, action, and suspenseful moments.

But are my gargoyles to similar to vampires?

In one rare case, a noble parliament John Crusitoff von Trieste had fallen in love with a woman whom he didn't know was a Gargoyle. Since partially still being human, she was able to give birth to the noble lord Valeran von Trieste. A half gargoyle. His father afraid of such an abomination locked the child away in a small house on his mansion grounds. Valeran eyes are sensitive to the light and he prefers the dark. But he doesn't burn into ash or turn into stone when he sees the light.

Once the holy church conveys your mind and curses you into a gargoyle. You are both human and stone. So inhuman and non human.

The gargoyles do not need blood. However, they die by silver. Because silver in this story is considered an evil substance that stops the flow of the holy divinity words in their blood.

Also the gargoyles are active during night and rarely during day. Simply because when touched by light they are turned back into stone. Except for the hybrid child Valeran.

I have some lore from everywhere in here.

2. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

This sounds just fine to me. Reminds me more of the kids show Gargoyles than vampires, though I'm guessing this will be more mature.

Anyway, you seem to have a good grasp of English and writing, so I'm gonna assume this is just something you've missed, but please learn the difference between too and to. This bothered me in another thread you started as well. It should be "too similar to vampires". I'm gonna put in a smiley so you know I'm not an a-hole :)

3. J.P.Clyde

Sorry Spklvr. My brain is not always the best neither is my own reading at best. Sometimes when black is on white backgrounds, words tend to fuzz or blur. But thank you. I will try better next time.

Yes, the gargoyles sunlight was inspired by the kids show. But yes this is more mature.

Grimoire [spell books] are bibles, monsters, ghouls, zombies, and gargoyles. Curses. Heroes. Knights.

A strange hybrid world I made up. Kind of like if the Renaissance and Victorian era had a baby with the modern world. They dress and behave Renaissance and Victorian, they have guns, tvish things not really though and no computers hard to explain what I created. But electricity.

They have a king and nobles of each part of the land of Sydonia that rule over peasant land.

Oh yes and sanitation, which would be another more modern part.

4. Rassidan

Rassidan New Member

By far does not remind me of vampires. How many creatures only appear at night in horror anyways. It is not like everything in this world is diurnal and I would not expext a gargoyle to be anything but nocturnal and still maintain a semblance of secrecy.

5. J.P.Clyde

Well it isn't that they are nocturnal. Just that the curse turns them into stone when the sunlight hits them. It's so that they can be controlled by magic. And magic is more powerful with moonlight.

6. Rassidan

Rassidan New Member

Yes but the same premise still applies that if they could be in the daylight it would be significantly more difficult to conceal them. I too know the gargoyles show and it was a curse that made sense in a lot of ways

7. lemurkat

lemurkat New Member

If they don't drink blood, they don't remind me of vampires at all. Sounds awesome. And yes the "too" thing erks me too. But then again, I'm the person that asked that they alter a thread title in another forum because the grammar was wrong and I grimaced everytime I saw it.

They didn't :(

8. J.P.Clyde

I wrote a blog recently on this. I have a word fetish phobia thing going on cause I'm nuts in the head.

I think people need to be more understanding with those with small or large disabilities.

@Rass: I understand.

9. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

You keep calling the gargoyles statues, so why not go all the way and make them more or less made from stone? The priest can still curse people into gargoyles by transfering their souls into the stone gargoyles, and silver can be the only thing that can seperate the soul fro mthe stone. I mean if you cut the head off a statue, the soul still remains in the body of the statue and keeps it alive. It would be a pretty badass story, and it would help keep the gargoyles very different from vampires. As an extra bonus, it means the gargoyles could be alive in the daytime as well, only inactive unless the priests needs them to come alive in a dramatic finale or something.