1. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Genealogy Software for Keeping Character Timelines Straight

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Catrin Lewis, Jun 4, 2014.

Trying something new: using the genealogy software I already have to keep my characters, their relationships, and their life events straight. Having brought up a preview of the Events report for one of them, I'd say it looks promising.

I know some writing programs can do something similar, but why not use what you've got?

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Interesting. I've been using an EXCEL spreadsheet.

3. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

I ended up getting Aeon Timeline to keep track of my character's memory history. It's a good tool and not expensive.

4. purplehershey

purplehershey New Member

I'm old fashioned. Paper and pencil for me.

Lemon flavoured likes this.
  5. Aurelius Arram

Aurelius Arram New Member

I'd really love to get some software that could map my character's relationships, whether family tree or otherwise. Any suggestions? Does any writing software have this integrated?

6. nekoenko

nekoenko New Member

I found XMind pretty decent. Using their template for the Org Chart I have created the timelines for characters and connected different events in their life when more than one person is involved...

Attached Files:

7. Baron Frosti

Baron Frosti New Member

You can easily create family trees in ancestry.com. I don't see why it cannot be fiction.

8. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

What'd be funny is if somebody thought they recognized one of their ancestors and wanted to contribute to your fictional character's tree. :supergrin:

Baron Frosti likes this.
  9. Rosacrvx

Rosacrvx Contributor Contributor

Oh, but I did try to use one of those online family tree sites to create a family tree for my character. The site I used has the option to keep it private.
    I was censored, though. The character's family tree has direct cousins marrying each other and the site didn't allow that. :D

Baron Frosti likes this.
  10. Raven484

Raven484 Contributor Contributor

WriteItNow5 has this. It is very helpful with timelines, relationships, tree outlines for characters. I use it daily and love it. Look for it to be on sale, I think I got it for 19.95, it is usually 40.
    The scene outlines are also very helpful. You can map pretty much everything you want with it.