1. njwh

njwh New Member

Genre Help?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by njwh, Jan 24, 2013.

Hey, I'm new here.

I was looking for some advice on choosing a genre. I know it's generally something which you must stick to once you start publishing to develop a fan base but can't decide what I like the most. Why do you write the genre you write?

It's basically a tossup between Sci-Fi, Mystery, Heist/Criminal and Adventure. Yes these could all be squished into one über-genre but is that a good idea?

If this helps some of my favourite movies are:
    -Fight Club
    -Star Wars
    -Snatch
    -Oceans 11/12/13
    -127 Hours

And TV shows:
    -Modern Family
    -Seinfeld
    -Doctor Who
    -Adventure Time
    -Misfits
    -Breaking Bad
    -Game of Thrones
    -Misfits

I don't have many favourite books (good for someone who wants to right, I know) but film & TV mostly cover the same areas regarding genre and plot.

Thanks!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Just write what inspires you, and figure out what genre it belongs to when you are selecting agents or publishers to submit to.

3. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

The genre should be a natural occurance, not a specific selection. As noted above, write your story and let it naturally fall into a genre.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto all of the above!

5. PhilipJLeae

PhilipJLeae New Member

So, genre doesn't matter. If it's a good story, people will read it, but, from what you sort of described, I'd say that genre would be Sci-Fi Mystery. But, that doesn't mean you have to do all this research and figure out exactly what goes into that section. The best thing to do would be brainstorm an idea, make the essential frame, leaving plenty of room for bits that you think of while writing, and staaaart writing. Don't stop and go back to mess with the storyline while still writing. Just finish the story and then re-read it a few times before going and editing. Don't erase anything, just lightly cross it out in case you want to use it later in a re-write. Some of this may help, some may not. Remember, nothing works for everyone! Hope I helped!

6. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Don't worry too much about what genre you want to write. Just think first of all of a plot that you would like to write, then from that you should be able to realise what that plot falls under, genre wise. And anyway, Iain Banks writes general fiction under the name aforementioned, and science fiction under the name Iain M. Banks.

So don't sweat it.

7. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Write a Western...okay thas my secret plan...but there's genre rules to give you arc help and the Western section down below is completely empty, there's a real cowboy recession going on, join me brother, c'mon, ditch all that Dr. Who rubbish, those years are behind us. Let's kill Indians (and non Indians, geesus ffff), drink whisky, shoot our guns about, eat cactus, is the life for me.

***Euch, Tarantino just made, AND stole Django, dreadful theft of cinema masterpiece***. How about romance? You need to squish your fist up and give her a kiss, and you're away, is easy stuff.

'I love you fist.'

'I love you, OP.'

'I love it when you call me OP.'

8. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

I will admit, people are far too concerned about "pigeonholing" people and their works. Many feel frustrated when their expectations are not confirmed by your bearing, attitude or sincerity.

For example, I am a baptized Christian. But that is not who my congregation thought I was when my wife and I walked through the door. In fact, both my pastor and I took open criticism when it was learned that I actually got additonal "Bible classes" when we went to the target range together.

(Hard as it might be to believe now, Seventh Day Adventists had problems with things like television back then. My wife and I had a VCR, and so after dark my pastor and his wife would sneak over to my house to watch 'suspect' movies and eat treats. The outlawed objects? The pastor's wife brought over "Amadeus" and some chocolate mints. No kidding.)

I often jest that my book is "semi-autobiographical religious action adventure." Yeah, some folks roll their eyes. I figure it this way, if I hit the jackpot and sell the story, these same folks will want to help me spend the money.

But that's people for you. After all, I read "The Little Red Hen" as a boy.

9. matwoolf

Tourist, you inspire x peace, love brother

SCENE: GUN RANGE

<peow, peow>

:You hear Bobby's been watching those damn Family Park cartoons

<rat dat dat dat>

:Satan's teeth, somebody needs to get a handle on that kid.

<woomph!>

:AWAY Great arm action Marie

:You got any stuff?

:I got a sackful in the trunk, pastor

: VHS?

: The best

:Cage Aux Folles?

: Get out of here. You make me sick. AWAY Ranger!

10. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Thank you. I do try to make stuff like this life lessons and a bizarre ministry. I think the OP should write what he feels, I believe that sincerity bleeds through your prose that way. If you write for money and fame parts of the work read like Mr. Data was your ghost writer.

11. matwoolf

hah! I misread your gun range anecdote, yos...back to OP. Well, every dog says 'write what you know,' just wish I could find publisher for my pet autopsy guide. I don't know if advertising is allowed?

OP, yes. Write the wizzbang stuff in a flourish, intense two weeks, return a month later, then six months later, and you might have perfect 1000 words. Ach, that's too downcast, perhaps live in a character, write some scenes, then live in a female character and introduce them...

Prison. Prison's always good? Mixed prison of the future, equality prison.