1. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

Genre specific groups

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Scarecrow28, Sep 16, 2008.

I know somebody suggested having seperate forums for specific genres in the past, but I was wondering if their was any way to set it up so we could have clubs for groups specific to each genre. They wouldn't have any forums or anything, but just like a clan kind of thing. Like were it could say on your member page "member of "insert club name" group" This would provide members with a better idea of what other members write in the same genres as you and shared interest in terms of writing. I'm not sure if theirs already something like this that I just have somehow missed or if their is some reason we can't, and sorry if I have. Thanks!

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

There's no reason why you couldn't set up something like that. To my knowledge, there is no such thing in existence at the moment, but if there's support for it, I don't why you couldn't.

3. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

that would be nice to have:)

4. Thagryn-Sylrand

Thagryn-Sylrand New Member

i would support it

5. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

Cool :) Should we put up another thread to vote for if people want it or not in the general section or the lounge? Or will we just see if they find this thread?

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Why do you need a vote? If you want to form a group, form one. But you don't need a group to ask a genre-focused question, just mention th egenre it relates to in the subject line of the thread.

Any such thread should go into the forum you would post to if it weren't genre-focused.

If you want to invite people to form or join such a group, the Lounge seems a good place.

7. Rio Moss

Rio Moss New Member

Here's another vote for genre forums.

8. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

I just think it would be great for, in the case of Rio and I, forum members that write in the thriller genre to meet and discuss things pertenant to the thriller genre. Its great to talk with writers of all genres, but its also great to talk with others that have a specific interest in the same kind of writing.

9. Cogito

Sure, but that's a pretty narrow subset of members to dedicate a forum for. Isn't it enough to create threads with that focus?

Adding forums increases the clutter on the home page and other container forums, and increases load time. Adding forums is usually done based on a broader need for those reasons.

10. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

I think a label underneath the username somewhere would suffice.

Cogito
    Reviewer, Super Moderator
    [genre(s) of choice]

etc.

?

Then maybe set up something where you can search for members that are geared towards that genre, or genres, if they like writing in more than one genre.

11. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

Thats exactly what I'd originally had in mind.

12. Cogito

The last thing I'd like to encourage is for people to pigeonhole themselves into one particular genre. If you have a preference in some genre, it will show up soon enough in your postings, but to figuratively stamp that genre on your forehead is tantamount to defining your limits.

If you want to define yourself in terms of one genre, that's your prerogative. But to expect software effort to be expended to support that on the site? I really don't think much of that idea.