Get fit thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LordKyleOfEarth, Apr 2, 2010.

1. jacklondonsghost

jacklondonsghost New Member

Hey, anything you do in the Corps has gotta help. I'm trying to do some cardio too but I have to be careful with that, 'cause with my body I loose any weight I manage to put on just by stepping on a treadmill :mad:

2. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

Lol, yo need to EAT, alot! Eat eat lots of carbohydrates like pastas, potatos, stuff like that. You need proteins too to build muscle, but eat some carbs!

3. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Jack, do squats, deadlifts, pullups and hand-stand pushups. You will be built well in no time.

Lack of testosterone will make muscle development difficult, but not impossible.

4. Evil Flamingo

Evil Flamingo Banned Contributor

I started this biking regiment a few weeks ago, and it's helped me substantially. I started with going six miles a day fairly slowly, since I hadn't biked very much for the past two years before, but now I'm up to doing ten miles a day fairly quickly. I know it's no marathon sprint, but it's a good start to a guy who doesn't exercise.

5. LordKyleOfEarth

I'm starting to see definition in my abs :)

Also, while at the gym doing bent over rows last night, a guy walked by and gave me knuckle taps. He said 'not many people do that exercise'. Felt really good man.

6. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I swam 3/4 of a mile last week (unwillingly). Me, my sister and 2 cousins paddled out with a paddleboat to this island on the lake, and then when me and 1 of the cousins got out, my sister and the other cousin stole the boat, so we had to swim back. xD

7. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I did my first workout in weeks today... :redface: It was a pyramid-style HiiT workout that I do quite often. It usually wears me out and makes me feel done for the day, but today was brutal.

I cant believe how much I can let myself go in just two weeks! :eek:

Between all of the obligations I've had and all of the niceties to observe that come with graduating (as well as the fact that some family from abroad are coming in and going out of town and my father prepping for his WPT and my placement exams and this and that and that and this...), I have put exercise on the backburner. So, naturally, my weightloss goals are going very well! :rolleyes: Not.

But it stops now. Back on track!

8. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Ah, every time I tell myself I'm gonna work out, I do so for a few days, but then I'm too busy (well, not really, but that's what I tell myself) to keep up with it. And I'm still stuck at 1-minute-and-something planks... :(

9. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

after a while of doing it you become an excercise junky. On some days I am just really tired (like today), on others if I don't get to go out and run I get cranky:rolleyes:

10. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I was like this before I had to work 30 hours a week. If I don't get my cardio, I feel really fatigued and unclean. A good exercise session really helps cleanse the body of accumulating toxins. I miss not having the time to work out more. I guess I'll need to learn how to wake up earlier.

11. HelloWorld

HelloWorld New Member

I can't stress this enough--STRETCH BEFORE EXERCISE. I didn't stretch before a training session, and the next day, when I went for a run (again without strectching), I slipped and broke my growth plate (rare occurance for a healthy teenage male). I lost about ten weeks of precious training time.

12. LordKyleOfEarth

[​IMG]
    I never limber up. Ever. Does a lion stretch before it chases a gazelle?

2 people like this.
  13. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I used to be like that, too. I ruined it like a month before my wedding, when I was too busy with wedding-related stuff to really fit in a good, consistent workout. And then right after that, I moved. And now I'm moving again.

Look at me, so full of excuses. :rolleyes:

14. Mercurial

I would call myself an exercise junkie; ever since I started up again in February, I've rarely taken a day off. But I had to take off the week two weeks past because of graduation and stuff... the week after that was no excuse though. :rolleyes:

My butt hurts very badly today.
    I missed that feeling. ;)

15. Evil Flamingo

YES! You have made my day. Just thought I'd let ya know. haha

16. LordKyleOfEarth

:)

I'm a total junkie now too. I get upset if I don't get to the gym 3 times in a week. I push until I injure myself, then recover and ease past that point.

It feels so good to look in the mirror and see defined muscles.

17. thesims

thesims New Member

Well that's a coincidence, I suspect the slipping had to do with it. You should never, ever stretch a cold muscle because you risk tearing it. Instead, you should warm up for 3-5 minutes and THEN stretch if you really need to. ;)

I bought a gym subscription a few weeks ago and haven't gone many times, but I intend on working out three times a week. I want to bulk up a little and make the abs pop out, but my main focus is on cardio. I do competitive ballroom dancing and I really need to improve my cardiovascular endurance so I hit the treadmill for 30 minutes. Eventually I'd like to do HiiT and simulate a competition by running for 90 seconds and recovering for 30. I don't have the capacity yet.

18. LordKyleOfEarth

Just jump into HIIT. Its much more effective than straight running (if you want to build endurance and improve cardiovascular health)

19. Mercurial

I agree; I didnt do any preparation for beginning to do HiiT workouts, and I am definitely not the fittest person on this thread. If I can do them, so can you. :)

If you need to stop, then stop. Eventually you'll workout up the endurance to do the whole routine start to finish. I do 30/30, 40/20, and pyramid style Hiit routines and the only one I find challenging (but still doable) is the 40/20.

xx

In other news, I am finally back on my fitness quest. :) I did a straight cardio workout today, and tomorrow it's going to be upper body, abs, and cardio. Love.

Now if only I could say no to bad food. Repeat it over and over again, Mercurial. "Sugar is the Devil. Sugar is the Devil. Sugar is the Devil... :rolleyes:

20. LordKyleOfEarth

http://www.idealsweet.com
    Its pretty good stuff. I tried a running change to some of it (just started to use it in place of sugar) and my girlfriend (who HATES artificial sweeteners) was none the wiser. Apparently the Xylitol used in it has some pretty good health perks (see wikipedia) too.

21. Mcarpenter

Mcarpenter New Member

My get-fit plan:
    Drink organic fruit smoothie.
    (Drink coffee)
    Drink water
    No/low salt (unless sea salt)
    No sugar
    No gluten
    Eat mostly fruits and veggies
    Consider exercising in near future
    Drink more coffee (anti-oxidants are good, right?) :p

22. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

I really need to get exercising again. This weekend, I swear to Odin, I will get out and jog. I gained back those 5lbs I lost during my last exercising episode, haha.

23. Suomyno

Suomyno Member

Is it too late to join in? I've always carried extra weight, but first year of university is definitely showing itself. This summer I need to readjust my eating habits and start building up my cardio an muscle tone again so next year I can get back to training (swimming) and cut off those last few seconds/milliseconds keeping me from competing internationally.

24. Evil Flamingo

Funny, my first year at college led me to lose fifteen pounds. haha.

I feel I should join in also do to my need to up my cardio level. At the moment, it's just above average, but still not nearly enough.

25. Suomyno

Suomyno Member

Hehe, you were one of the lucky ones. I didn't actually come back too bad according to most people. About the same weight, but my cardio and muscle tone leave a lot to be desired now.