1. ∊η∊ηra

∊η∊ηra Smoke and Mirrors

Getting Paid to Write Articles?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ∊η∊ηra, Mar 12, 2018.

How would one go about getting paid to write online articles for various websites? Is there any kind of listing for writing jobs? Topics don't necessarily matter, but I enjoy politics, current events, history, and video games.

I don't have any delusions of it turning into a full-time job, but it could be a way to supplement my income while also doing something I enjoy.

Not sure if this is the right place, but I figured who better to ask than a community of writers? lol

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

No idea as regards the actual answer, but I can tell you it certainly is something people do seek to do. We get hit with incoming requests all the time from people looking to have us commission their services for articles. The nature of our particular venue is such that, while we do have an area for Articles, we reserve it for use by our own citizenry, not outside entities. How to monetize such an endeavor in the grander scheme of things....? *shrug*

∊η∊ηra likes this.
  3. SkinnyPuppy

SkinnyPuppy Contributor Contributor

I see offers for this kind of thing in the Craigslist gigs section under writing all of the time. Ive pondered it, but have also been leery of legitimacy with most of the postings.

∊η∊ηra likes this.
  4. ∊η∊ηra

∊η∊ηra Smoke and Mirrors

Yeah, I see click-baity ads on Facebook from time to time. Usually, they just want you to sign up for a newsletter of some kind so that they can sell your email address.

Sometimes there's just a lot of shit you have to wade through online in order to find something relevant and useful.

5. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I've got some experience with this, and it worked out pretty well for me. The number one thing you have to do is come up with a good story idea, some fresh angle. Then you write a short pitch letter. I would keep it to under three paragraphs. Sometimes you have to do a little of the work and/or interviews before you can write this short pitch letter. You need to show that you're really on top of this. Then send it to newspapers and sites you know to be reputable. You have to be smart about this and do your homework. I never sold articles to some job posting on Craigslist where the pay was a joke. I sold my articles to national publications that paid a few hundred dollars per article. A lot of these places will have submission guidelines on their websites. If you don't see that, look at the master head. The managing editor is usually a safe one to pitch. Or if you are trying to write for a specific section, you should be able to find the editor of that. If you don't have experience, say you are willing to write on spec. Writing on spec means that the editor is interested but doesn't want to commit to publishing it or paying for it until after he reads it. It's risk free to the publication, and it gives you a shot to prove yourself. I always offered to write on spec even once I had more experience. I think it will work to your advantage more times than it won't. Hope some of this helps.

PennyDreadfully and ∊η∊ηra like this.
  6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Special knowledge is another way in . My sister, who is a Cambridge PhD, is making about a grand a month both writing science articles for websites and/or editing translated articles to make sure the translation hasn't destroyed the science. She went through an agency.

∊η∊ηra likes this.
  7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Is this "Bears R Us magazine" :D

Wreybies likes this.
  8. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

No... I’m quite fastidious as regards keeping my various forum presences separate. :whistle:

[​IMG]