Getting personal with critiques.

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by live2write, May 3, 2012.

1. GaleSkies

GaleSkies Active Member

Holy shit that is a good idea. I'd read that. Well... only if the vampires didn't glitter in the sunlight and the zombies weren't zombie/werewolf hybrids.

Although, I'd have to disagree on the point. I enjoy a small bit of Fanfiction from time to time. Especially when its well written. However, there are some really really really bad story lines that would have been better off going through a meat grinder than whatever process the author used to develop it. However, I'm am absolutely positive it is all within the authors intention. Not everyone writes to be original or make a best seller. There is an audience that enjoys the forced and contrived scenarios of fanfiction Regardless, of how much sense it makes. I guess what I'm getting at is critiquing is a case by case type thing, and one should tread very very carefully when telling the author what they "should or shouldn't do".

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Very definitely. The author and the beta need to understand just what it is the author is looking for in a critique, and what the beta can or cannot do for them. And over my own years in fanfic, I've developed a sort of mantra for "You did what?!?" types of stories - I can believe anything if the author makes me. And I think that's the crux of the matter - regardless of how saturated the market may be with any given story type, a really good storyteller can work wonders. The critique is designed to help them do just that.

3. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

You also have to recognize that the critique must allow for the style of the guy reading the story.

For example, Shadow, if you and I read the same treatise, our responses would have differing tones. They wouldn't be wrong, just different.

Ever see a coach "encourage" a recalcitrant player? Trust me, there's not a lot glad-handing, self esteem issues and concerns about fiber in the player's diet.

You and I are the products of diverse lifestyles. So are the numerous readers who will ultimately buy the book. They will face the music when their book is released.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Critique is every nit as creative and individual as primary writing. Even if two critiquers home in on the same falws, they will prioritize them differently, and often will recommend different solutions.

This is another reason getting critique is far less valuable than learning to give critique. Once you learn to see the problems in writing, and have a methodology for finding solutions, you will become adept at critiquing your own writing. Your critiquing style will be in harmony with your writing styyle, and will become more so over time. And by critiquing other people's work, you will learn both new problems to look for, and new possible solutions to problems.

5. shadowwalker

Yeah, I've seen those coaches. Bit of a misnomer IMHO. More like bully or arrogant p***k. And if that's the 'style' of the person giving the critique - well, my skin's pretty darn thick, so I suppose I'd tell him (or her) where to put their 'style' rather than whimpering away. And I'm equally sure any future comments from them would go in the bin. But besides that, critiquing is not supposed to be "Do it this way, you idiot!" or "Don't pull that crap, you numskull!". A critique is more of a partnership, not a way for someone [with ego issues] to bully you into doing something you don't want (or need) to do.

I repeat - we are writers. We should be able to be honest without being nasty. Words are what we do.

6. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

I understand. Then again, I offer that you must know where your critique is headed.

For example, I'd be proud to have critque my work. I've read your posts, I understand you slant on the prose used for this OP. But let's face it, you know enough about me to know that blunt honesty isn't going to hurt my feelings at all. I'm sure you've heard the phrase, "kick in the ass." Well, forty years ago my mentors would really kick you in the ass.

Now, lets suppose I sent you a heapin' helpin' of pure drek. And you responded, "Tourist, I've seen better writing on a bumper sticker! When I refer to 'syntax' I'm not talking about a levy owed to a hooker! Your plot development needs to be buried in a real cemetery plot. Your characters come off as demented robots! In reading your stuff I have now invested an hour of my life that I will never get back. If this is your best, get a ghost writer..."

I'd probably respond by telling you a re-write was on its way, along with an apology for wasting your time. However, if you sent the same critque to a little teenage girl here, she'd cry her eyes out and you'd get a 'warning' by PM.

If you strip off the varnish of pefumed words, you still have truth. The problem is that many only smell the scent of the perfume and send you more drek.

7. shadowwalker

Some will only smell the perfume, sure - if it's there. I happen to detest perfume in this manner. If you were to talk to any of the authors I've beta'd, rest assured they know exactly what I meant. And that if they came back with more of the same, the comments would be stronger. Yet, I have never had an author, new or seasoned, say that I was ever hurtful, nasty, or bullying in manner. They don't always like what I have to say - but they know I'm saying it to hopefully help them become better writers. (And I've never been afraid to back down if the discussion shows I was off-base, either.)

Frankly, when I read the critiques some people give (not speaking of here, because I haven't gotten into those areas as yet) I really have to wonder if they're trying to help the author write the author's story or their own. And for that reason, I simply cannot trust those who get nasty or pushy in critiques.

8. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Again, that is admirable. But as you know, I don't like people who sponge off of the hard work of others. That opinion should be resolute.

However, just as there are things that must be defined in that tone, I have also read some things here from younger writers that broke new ground. One in particular got niggling comments, while the overall work was original and showed some real promise. I think those comments are worse, cruel even. Probably salted with jealousy.

As a parallel, look at the comments made by resident curmudgeon, Len Goodman, on DWTS. He's hard, but everyone wants a "ten from Len." And my wife would never miss it for that reason!

Raise the bar. The good ones will knock themselves out striving for excellence.

9. shadowwalker

Raise the bar. Sure. Just don't hit the author over the head with it.

10. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

LOL. Don't worry, if I ever got that mad over a piece of fiction typed into a server it would have to be the worst piece of drek ever written, including pre-Columbian. Truth be told, I'm actually amazed at the quality and dedication of some of the writers here.

To be fair, I try to be a good friend and a bad enemy in the real world, as well.

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Raise the bar for yourself as a critiquer. Instead of looking for the things you have seen dozens of times before, look for something that is "off" that you have not pointed out to anyone before. Analyze it, put together a recommendation, and put it out there, even if you aren't sure. Let the other person know you are breaking new ground, lest they're tempted to take every critique as gospel.

Stretch yourself. Tackle a piece of writing that looks solid, and find a new way to improve it.

If you play tennis, or hoops, against a superior player in the sport, your game will be better as well. The same works with writing and critique.

So raise the bar. And buy the next round.

12. Youssef Salameh

Youssef Salameh Senior Member

Dear Miss. Live2write, of course, with all respects to our friends, a critique is a human being who has the right to say his opinion. He is one of us. people's taste and sense differ from one person to the other; and there is logic in everything. I mean a successful writer will be declared by his own work. If its successful people will hurry to read it. If not, then it will appear. From here the personal relationship between the writer and the critique appears. It does not develop in a matter of seconds.

13. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I've always struggled with the fact that I am a ruthless, and harsh, critic, and I can get very personal. I generally do feature script editing and go through with a red pen, making comments about my genuine reaction or feeling towards dialogue, descriptions and plot. These can be very aggressive. A note I wrote in a recent script went something like this:

and

I can't really quote the other lines due to severe profanity.

I do understand though that I need to be more subtle in my approach. But I do always state as a rule that I will be completely honest and they have every right to completely ignore everything I say. This way I can be brutally honest and they can decide for themselves if my comments are of any use to them. Because as a critic I am NOT always right. I often have writers in strong debates with me about what I think is wrong. However I always debrief and talk through the entire script, offering suggestions on plot and character problems that they can either use, change, or ignore.

Strangely, many of my clients are very happy after I 'rip their script to shreds' and like to come back for more of my mad method. One said that after my criticism he should just give up on screenwriting. But I helped him out, we kept at it, and eventually he made his film.

14. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Live2write - I find this; going through your closet thing and 'There is no way he would let me go dressed in something that would either not be flattering or would not be appropriate.' uncomfortable (controlling).

Do you really want a father figure - would you not be happier with an equal.

15. alexa_

alexa_ Banned

At the very beginning of my writing career, it was very hard for me to receive critique, as I thought that I was the smartest one and wasn't interested in any other's opinions. Now I understand though how important it is for my skills and quality-of-my-works development.

16. steve119

steve119 New Member

only answer to that comment is Lovecraft did it lol

17. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

I mix technical advice and correction with opinion. I will make a note of each technical problem in the writing, and I have no problem critiquing on the basis of my own preferences, too. It's important, if I do so, that I make clear that those are preferences ("I prefer stories which move quicker with less description").

I also make sure that I don't confuse honesty and rudeness. I will point out every mistake, but I don't see that there's any point to belittling the author as I do so. My job is to critique the writing, not come up with inventive insults. I'll do the latter in online forums, and such. :)