1. sashas

sashas New Member

Ghosts

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by sashas, Jun 6, 2007.

I'm not sure if this should come here, but can anyone tell me of any books that had a friendly ghost as the central character? Or maybe a friendly ghost with a romantic angle...
    I have a plot that I like a lot, but I'm not sure if it hasn't been done already. I would just like to hear from you guys if you've read any books or stories with a friendly ghost theme.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

No books come immediately to mind, but what about the movie Ghost (Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore)?

3. EyezForYou

EyezForYou Active Member

Casper?

How about The Lovely Bones...

4. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Reese Witherspoon did one like that recently.

Also, Casper would be the ultimate example (I mean, the effing TITLE is "Casper, the Friendly Ghost.")

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

wilde's classic 'canterville ghost' was friendly, in the end...

then there's 'the ghost and mrs. muir' and the 'topper' series of novels... as well as wilkie's 'woman in white'...

6. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    "The Witch Doctor" by Christopher Stasheff has a ghost with a romantic angel. Decent, light hearted and easy reading fantasy novel.

I can't really recall any others, most just have ghosts making minor appearances, or telling their life stories. If I think or find anymore I'll let you know.

But I would recommend looking up some movies. Ghosts are a little more common in movies it seems. Some movies that I know star ghosts or ghost like characters are, "Sixth Sense", "The Invisibles", "Ghost Dad" (Bill Cosby comedy, good for kids), "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" (Also a novel apparently), and finally a Bollywood movie "Paheli".

7. sashas

sashas New Member

Wow...how'd you watch the Bollywood movie? I haven't seen that one, even though I'm from India...it was actually based on a short story...

8. sashas

sashas New Member

Hmmm...
    From what I see here, I think the ghost story's been done quite often. I actually had something of a nightmare regarding the ghost, and I woke up thinking that it might not be that bad a plot...it won't be thrilling or scary, but a very deep examination of relationships...

Thanks for the responses guys! Appreciate it...

9. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I actually never watched this movie. I went to the Rotten Tomatoes site and typed in a search for ghost movies. This was one of the ones that came up. After reading the synopsis it looked good so I mentioned it.
    I've only ever watched one Bollywood movie, on satellite. It was some James Bond spoof, and I didn't understand a word of it.
    Glad you thought these were useful.