Ghosts

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, Oct 27, 2006.

1. zerobytes

zerobytes New Member

Makes you want to look over your shoulder every now and then, doesn't it? ;)

2. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

Not really.

3. holacik

holacik New Member

I don't really believe in ghosts, but i'm certainly open to the idea. I would have to experience something first-hand though.

4. PencilJockey

PencilJockey New Member

The idea of spirits watching over you or spirit guides as they're typically called is very interesting. Did either of them ever say why the female assassin followed you and why she was the only one that comes into your bedroom?

5. Laimtoe

Laimtoe New Member

I do however believe in a FORM of "supernatural" stuff. There are indeed some crazy things that DO indeed happen. But I don't pretend as if I fully understand it.

You see -- you can wrap rubber around a cord that has an electrical current running through it. But there's some out of this world statistic that says something like one volt out of ten google volts (or something) can leap through the rubber. And eventually that very unlikely volt WILL jump through that rubber.

So basically... I guess if I want to talk like Mr. Trecky I could say that some odd thing is going on in subspace and eventaully a spark flies through the veil or wierd substance that seperates this form of space to the other forms of subspace and something wierd happens... I wonder if that made any sense....

Anyways -- moving on.

There's also my second theory, which happens to be my favorite theory.

You've all seen the movie I Robot right? Well -- Isaac Amove was a actual scientist and he knew what he was talking about in every one of his books.

In I Robot there's a point where they describe something called a free radical in computer code.

When typing in computer code the computer sometimes sneacks little hidden bits of code on its own which cause it to behave in an unexpected manner. Computers are governed by science and math. Life is governed by science and math. Hence life can equally have Free Radicals, the same as any computer has them as well. I don't belive in QUOTE: 'MIRACLES' I believe in Free Radicals, fragmented equasions inserted inside what's actually supposed to be. I don't believe in Mysticism.

Also -- Happen to think that everything isn't as PERFECT as people think it is. Essentially, when playing a game and you shoot a guy in the head. The way he falls and how his body limply bobbles around is depicted by Ragdoll-geometry.

Basically, the way things react from getting hit at specific speeds at specific angles are very difficult equasions to constantly calculate, so the computer is told to simply round the solution to a rather broad number -- but to a number that is close enough to realism.

I think there's a little bit of rounded numbers simply because of these free radical eliments in the world.

Of course -- none of this is spiritual or worth worshiping, in my opinion.

To do so would be like worshiping your computer or your math book -- it's a waste of your time.

Anyways -- what do you think of that?

6. Raven

Raven Banned

A ghost is an alleged disembodied spirit of a dead person. Ghosts are often depicted as inhabiting haunted houses, especially houses where murders have occurred. Why some murder victims would stick around for eternity to haunt a place while others seem to evaporate is one of the great mysteries of the spirit world.

Many people report physical changes in haunted places, especially a feeling of a presence accompanied by temperature drop and hearing unaccountable sounds. They are not imagining things. Most hauntings occur in old buildings, which tend to be drafty. Scientists who have investigated haunted places account for both the temperature changes and the sounds by finding physical sources of the drafts, such as empty spaces behind walls or currents set in motion by low frequency sound waves (infrasound) produced by such mundane objects as extraction fans.

Some ghost experiences are attributed to sleep paralysis.

Ghosts may have a scientific explanation after all _ and it is not all in the mind. New research into a real-life haunting has revealed that all the classic signs of ghosts can be explained as the result of very low frequency sound waves trapped inside buildings.

Capable of being triggered by nothing more than the wind passing over walls, the sound waves cannot be heard. But scientific tests have revealed that they have effects on the human body that can account for the wraith-like appearance of ghosts and even the feelings of cold and terror that accompany them.

The explanation emerged after a chance discovery by a university academic who found himself involved in a haunting in a laboratory. AE One night as Vic Tandy worked alone he began sweating despite feeling cold and then he noticed a figure in the room. ``The hair was standing up on the back of my neck _ I was terrified.''

The explanation emerged the following morning. Mr Tandy, a fencing enthusiast, had left a foil clamped in a vice. ``When I returned, I noticed that the free end of the blade was frantically vibrating up and down.''

A trained engineer, he realised that the blade might be receiving energy from very low frequency sound waves filling the laboratory _ so low that they could not be heard.

Tests duly revealed the existence of a ``standing wave'' trapped in the lab which reached a peak in intensity next to his desk. ``It turned out to be caused by a new extraction fan ... When the fan's mounting was altered, the ghost left with the standing wave.''

Working with Dr Tony Lawrence of the university's school of health, he has now discovered the significance of this rate of vibration. In research published in the latest issue of the Journal of the Society for Psychical Research they reveal that ``infra-sound'' around this frequency has been linked to a whole host of physiological effects _ including breathlessness, shivering and feelings of fear.

While acoustic experts have known about the health effects of infra-sound, until now no one has made the link to ghosts. Mr Tandy said that he has since come across two more ``hauntings'' where low-frequency sound may be to blame.

"I ain't afraid of no ghosts!":eek:

~Raven.