1. Gottagocit

Gottagocit Member

Giving credit where credit is due?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Gottagocit, Mar 6, 2011.

Ok board here goes another basic question from a newby who is in the edit phase of my first book.

My fiction novel begins during the civil war and follows rather accurately some of the events and battles in the later half of the war. Eventually the story moves to present day.

Some of the descriptions I use to explain a few skirmishes and battles are based on well known historical events mostly put into my own words. However I did read accounts from various online sources to develop some of the early scenes.

My question is should I give credit to the sources I've read even though I don't use them word for word and given they are based somewhat on actual known war time events? If so how do I best do so?

Thanks
    Chris

2. Holden

Holden New Member

For a fictional novel, you do not need to cite or credit sources. However, many authors add a page of acknowledgments or sources that readers can go to for more information. However, that page would (I assume) only be added when the book is certain to be printed. I wouldn't think there is a need to include that information when sending it to publishers.

3. Gottagocit

Gottagocit Member

Interesting.
    Would that still be the case if someone used information directly from a source for use in a fiction novel?

4. Leonardo Pisano

Leonardo Pisano Active Member

Shamelessly copying is plagiarizing, no matter whether it is fiction or non-fiction. As Holden said, keep book of your sources.

5. Gottagocit

Gottagocit Member

I had assummed that was the case but had to ask the later question. It only makes sense.
    Thanks
    Chris

6. Gottagocit

Gottagocit Member

I had assummed that was the case but had to ask the later question. It only makes sense.
    Thanks
    Chris

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

first of all, all 'novels' are fiction!... so don't call anything a 'fiction novel' if you don't want to be considered a clueless amateur... you must learn the lingo, if you want to be taken seriously as a writer...

novelists don't usually list all the places they've gotten background info from and don't have to cite sources that aren't quoted directly...

if some particular source [person or otherwise] was particularly helpful in writing the novel, that's dealt with on the 'acknowledgements' page, which doesn't get written till you've got a publisher on board...

8. Gottagocit

Gottagocit Member

Gee thanks.

I could not have more clear in my op that I was a newbie and based on others using the same 2 word phrase on both this board AND this thread I am not the only one.
    Since I appreciate the fact you eventually did get to your response to my question I will attribute the first few lines of blather in your reply to your high volume of "mentoring" posts in this virtual world where every posts is written by a clueless, nameless and faceless surrogate being. It seems to be an unfortunate consequence of our time.

1 person likes this.
  9. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

your sources a non issue in fiction....simply the part of the iceberg not seen ya dig

10. Mxxpower

Mxxpower New Member

No, do not cite sources.

Many reasons...but for starters, if you gather your research on the internet, theres is almost a 100% chance the internet site got their information from somwhere else.

Second, history is pretty much interpretation of events. Interpretations are of course done by the winners of any military conflict or in charge of popular opinion.

I can interpret anything I want from history, about any person, act or event, and no one can prove me wrong.

Example: "The US deliberatly allowed planes to crash into the world trade center..."

So prove me wrong...

It can't be done, so unless you are telling the story of some obtuse events in WWI that tells the story as a first hand account by one guy... there is no point to list sources.

11. Gottagocit

Gottagocit Member

I'm convinced!
    It seems there is no requirement to reference sources for a "fiction" (better mammamaia?) if one doesn't just simply copy someones work.

Thank you all for the help
    Chris