1. Kaite Nyx

Kaite Nyx New Member

Godly names

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Kaite Nyx, Jan 16, 2021.

Hey everyone! This is my first post and I wasn't sure where to ask.

I am working on a modern day mythology based story and the main/modern characters are gonna be connected to the old gods (Of literally EVERY culture) right now I just want someone to brain storm names with me. Names either related to a myth, god, culture anything. I understand that not all characters will have special names but I am just brainstorming right now. All names/ideas are welcome.

At this particular moment I am looking for a modern day young boy's name who is connected to Freya/Norse mythology.

~Thank you :love:

2. Kehlida

Kehlida Member

Currently Reading::
    The Shining / Carrie by Stephen King
    I found a list of Norse boy names. I think the following could be used in a modern context
    Alvis
    Arkyn
    Broderick
    Delling
    Durin
    Eric
    Olen
    Osborn
    Tor

Kaite Nyx likes this.
  3. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

20000-NAMES.com is my go to when i am stumped on what to call a character. They have names from around the world. In their "special categories" they have names that mean certain things... Like a list of God/Goddess names for example. Or a list of "strong" names or "color" names etc.

4. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

All of what you're asking is available on the internet. If you want particular names then just use google and do your own research. Look for the names from the mythology you want and put a spin on them.

5. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

God of music?

SethLoki likes this.
  6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Or really old cars https://www.thealviscarcompany.co.uk/

Kehlida and Naomasa298 like this.
  7. Fervidor

Fervidor Senior Member

Look into Proto-Indo-European language and mythology.

Turns out that a whole lot of mythology can be traced back to the PEIs. As in, they probably came up with the original concept of Thor and Zeus, and we've figured that out mainly via linguistics and comparing notes.

Not sure it will help you with the name thing, but it's damn interesting.

8. NWOPD

NWOPD Administrator

I actually turn to Wikipedia for this type of stuff, reading up on old mythology. My strategy is reading Wikipedia pages and browsing based on “See Also.” Sometimes you can find minor mythological characters mentioned, often someone demigod or man who interacted with a god.

I spent a little time reading and there are many many goddesses and Valkyries, but that doesn’t help since your writing a male character.

Jötunn, which can be friends, lovers, family members of the gods, or other ambiguously defined creatures. My understanding is they are a type of creature, so maybe look for stories involving them to find a name.

Freyr, which is Freya’s brother, but as a name may be a little too close to a primary deity.

I did enjoy reading
    this site, and it has a great list that summarizes what various Norse gods are known for and is a great point to dig deeper in to specific mythological stories.

Bolverk - alias of Oden attempting to win Mead of poetry.

Bragi - son of Oden.

Rig – Pseudonym of Heimdall and the creator of three races of men. (From cite I linked above.)

Some other gods with names I like:

• Idun
    • Narvi/Nari
    • Vali
    • Ve
    Good luck!