1. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Good Dark Fantasy Titles?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Killer300, Jan 4, 2012.

Well, after reading a Song of Ice and Fire, I mainly felt... disappointed. I only finished three out of the series, and then, I just couldn't STAND the writing style anymore. Namely, the lack of any momentum as any energy gained is immediately lost because the plot has to stop to catch up the other characters. This is a shame, because otherwise, I really did like the darker elements that really made the world much more appealing to me a genre I usually hate, fantasy.

So, are there are other Dark Fantasy titles you guys would suggest? Because, I really did like A Song of Ice and Fire, just a shame with the whole momentum issue.

2. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

David Gemmell doesn't really write Dark Fantasy... I wouldn't call it that, but it's not High Fantasy, either. It's definitely more on the side of Dark Fantasy... so here we go.

He has four individual fantasy titles: Knights of Dark Renown, Morningstar, Dark Moon, and Echoes of the Great Song.
    Those first three are darker than the other. Morningstar in particular is great, as is Dark Moon.

Next, the Drenai series. All of it. Read all of it. There's no chronological order, but for the best reading experience, I've found that you want to read White Wolf and The Swords of Night and Day together, since they're both about a guy named Skilgannon. The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend is amazing, and it's followed by The Legend of Deathwalker and then Legend. Of course, Legend was the first novel David Gemmell wrote (while in hospital with cancer - it's analogous to his condition), so technically it comes first, but it's set after those other two. The Waylander trilogy (Waylander, then Waylander II: In the Realm of the Wolf and finally Hero in the Shadows) is absolutely amazing. It's probably slightly darker than the rest.
    There are three other Drenai novels I haven't mentioned, but that's only because I don't really remember them.

Now, if you've read or have heard of Stephen King's The Dark Tower and you like it or like the sound of it (go! Go read it now! If you want Dark fantasy, it's goooood), then David Gemmell's Jon Shannow series is very similar.

Either way, those are my suggestions. Go for it, sonny.

3. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Ah, thank you.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Read Joe Abercrombie's BEST SERVED COLD. It is pretty down and dirty.

5. ENJOY

ENJOY Member

It depends on age if under 15 I would recommend Skullduggery Pleasant or the changeling seris if not then I would recommend David Gemmel Greek series of book which contain: The Lord of the Silver Bow, The shield of thunder and the fall of kings

6. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

I second anything by Joe Abercrombie and Scott Lynch. I'm surprised you didn't like A Song of Fire and Ice but still want to give Dark Fantasy a go. Anyway I would definitely try those two authors. Joe Abercrombie is definitely one of a kind...his work is quite gritty, comical and gory...oh and the sex scenes are so clumsy and awkward. I'm probably not making it sound very appealing, but he does give an amazing portrayal of the antihero.

7. Hellchoseme

Hellchoseme New Member

I agree, however the first book in the series the gunslinger frankly was awful and you'd just be better off to start from drawing of the three, which is brilliant.
    Also (you'll hear me say this alot) try Clive Barker. He has many Dark fantasies that have never once disapointed me.

8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Also, take a look at C.S. Friedman's ​Cold Fire Trilogy.

9. Superevil225

Superevil225 Member

Name of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is stunning. It is by far my second favorite book behind The Hounds of Baskerville.

10. Amphigory

Amphigory New Member

The Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson, perhaps?

11. richardclayton53

richardclayton53 Member

Yes yes yes, Steerpike and Daydream have it spot on! Joe Abercrombie is AMAZING, and you cant really get much darker in a fantasy setting!

I cant recommend his books enough! :)

12. BlackCatMagick

BlackCatMagick Member

The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward. It's technically a romance series, but there's so much more to it. There are several arcs going on in each book along with the main love story. There is some explicit sexual content, so if that kind of thing bothers you, I'd steer clear.

If you like badass vampires, I'd highly recommend it. :cool: I'm on the fifth one, and totally hooked.

13. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Gah, didn't take this warning to heart. I couldn't make it through the first one.:( I'll try its sequel, see if its better.

Did try a book of short stories from him once. It seemed good at times, but other times... I don't know, some of the plots could be a little frustrating.

14. Hambone

Hambone Member

I would have to disagree. Although it may be awful, the first book of The Dark Tower is important to introduce the conflict between Roland and The Man in Black. It's a short book anyway. But then the fun begins with Drawing of the Three.

15. Quille

Quille Member

I haven't read a Song of Ice and Fire (and won't until it's finished) so don't know how dark it is. I agree that King's Dark Tower series is good dark fantasy and that The Gunslinger is worth reading, although it was one of King's early books and not up to his later efforts. A lot of King's other books touch on the world he created for the series, such as Insomnia Additionally, I'd suggest Steven Erikson's series The Malazan Book of the Fallen it starts with Gardens of the Moon and the 10th and final book came out last year. Erikson made me both laugh and cry.

16. C.J. Hadwin

C.J. Hadwin Member

I seriously thought someone would bring up The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman. One of my favorite fantasy series of all time, I've re-read them several times and they never lose their edge to me. Dark at times, light at times, beautifully written.

17. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Imo, The Dark Tower series is amazing up until the Wolves of the Kalla.

Abercrombie is good if you don't care about the I'm-trying-to-be-realistic-though-I'm-really-not -aspect about his works. Most people aren't. He's got a whimsical writing style that's cracked me up several times. Best Served Cold I couldn't finish (the female characters were awful), but the First Law series is amazing.

Other recommendations:
    The Steel Remains by Richard K. Morgan.
    The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. (Somewhat cliché-ish, but he's a good story teller).

I haven't encountered anything spectacular myself, so this is a useful thread to me too. I'll make sure to check The Dragonlance Chronicles.

18. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Conan the Barbarian by Robert E. Howard. It has some dark tones in it.

19. Kaga

Kaga New Member

I think Conan is more Sword & Sorcery than dark fantasy. I still like him, though.

Also love the Night Angel trilogy KaTrian mentioned. For a gaming nerd like me it's like Assassin's Creed in book form. Minus the Animus, of course.

20. Alan Lincoln

Alan Lincoln Active Member

Steven Erikson Malazan book of the fallen series is amazing! I would say its pretty dark and dirty fantasy reading. I read G.R.R.M and loved his work but when I finished I needed something in the same or similar vein. I read the first, 'Gardens of the Moon', and didn't realize it spanned over 10 to 15 other books!! so... I had alot of reading to do, haha. Joe Abercrombie is annother great writer with a brilliant series of books.