1. NorthernGuy

NorthernGuy New Member

Good guides or threads on self publishing?

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by NorthernGuy, May 18, 2021.

Good afternoon everyone,

This is my first post and I do apologize if this has been discussed to death. I've never written anything to completion before but am in the process of getting my memoir finished up currently. My issue is that I'm not writing this book for fame\fortune, it's at the request of my family\friends and extended fans I have out there. That means I'm not shopping around for full publishing companies to take my book on.

I assume that means self publishing is the way to go for me and maybe get a hundred books printed. With that, I'm looking for new\up to date information on self publishing but whenever I google anything I just end up being sucked into websites who sell self publishing and I'm leery on trusting their services and advice as they obviously have a dog in the race. I'd prefer to find independent opinions and advice on the process since it's all new to me. Any information would be appreciated.

2. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

You could try the selfpublish subreddit. It might have some people who have experience with the same thing: https://www.reddit.com/r/selfpublish/

Try searching memoir/autobiography or they also have a wiki with basic self publishing information.

3. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

The best source I can think of is here: https://www.thebookdesigner.com/

Mr. Friedlander passed away recently, unfortunately, but his work survives him. He also collected the advice from all these posts into a book called Book Construction Blueprint, which I think used to be available as a free download, but I can't find a link to it.

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

i recomend the podcasts by Joanna Penn ( The Creative Penn) and Mark Dawson/James Blatch (self publishing formula)