Google Docs for writing...

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by VynniL, Jul 9, 2016.

1. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

Thanks Steerpike, I'm working on a Science Fantasy where the science is rather dubious, so this looks like a good community. ;-)

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Well, I wouldn't have anything synched to anything because I actually work on my desktop computer and don't carry other devices around with me. (I know, old fashioned ...when I'm out, I'm out—living in the moment, as they say.) So if I can work Google Docs offline on my computer, that means I can also save offline, onto hard disks or flash drives?

I use mechanical backups because I simply don't trust the Cloud or the net to save my stuff properly. All the net has to do is goof up one time and I've lost precious work. If I save on multiple devices in a stepped sequence, then I've got a better chance of hassle-free recovery, if it all goes south.

3. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

I don't know if you can transfer it to hard disks, all I know is you can access the files from any device offline if you just fiddle with the settings. But if you don't like cloud services, then perhaps not. Check Steerpike's link on the previous page to get a more informed explanation than mine.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I save my Google Doc files to a flash drive all the time.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  5. VynniL

@jannert - from what I can see and I could be wrong, Google doc files (.gdoc) are not actually real text files. They are pointers to the files saved online. You have to embrace the idea of the masters or at least working copies being online to really appreciate its value. So when the Google server do and will go down, expect to be get a little cranky. This is where it is good to have some sort of a backup strategy.

For you, if you only care about the collaboration aspect. It would be a case of still working in Scrivener or Word locally on your machine but come time you want to do some collaboration with other folks, you would export your work files (.rtf or .docx files) and save them to your Google drive and convert them to Google Docs. I like the convenience of all this. Then you immediately have access to all the features of google docs has to offer as far as security and collaboration and you are unlimited in how many versions of the same file you want to send out. I would think it would be handy for handling of alpha/beta readers and your own notes.

And if you want to work on the google doc file itself, you just need to get used to the idea you are working in a browser, even offline.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2016
    BayView and Oscar Leigh like this.
  6. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

You can save to your computer in a variety of formats. I frequently save spare copies as word.doc

Oscar Leigh and VynniL like this.
  7. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I like Google Docs because my wife and I can edit the same document at the same time on different computers. I like Pages for when I'm trying offline or want good formatting. Pages allows for complex formatting very easily, but of course it doesn't compare to the LaTeX typesetter.

Oscar Leigh and VynniL like this.
  8. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

I don't live in the country (yet, but I'm working on it) but I distrust our Internet connection, so I'm with you. I use an old version of MS Word, the 2003 release, because I want access to my word processor even when the Internet goes down or gets laggy. Hell, Word is laggy enough on its own—although that might be the fault of Windows 10.

I'd switch to LibreOffice Write if they'd get rid of that all-in-one UI... and I could be sure I could still reliably exchange marked up files with publishers.

9. Sack-a-Doo!

After reading this thread, I was ready to try out Google Docs. So I went to do a bit of reading up on it and one of the first things I saw was that it only works with the Chrome browser.

Now, I only have one thing against Chrome: they removed the bookmarks-in-the-sidebar feature. Worse, the replacement someone wrote is clunky, ugly and hard to read/navigate. I was ready to switch from Firefox to Chrome until I found that out.

So, looks like I'm sticking with MS Word and Firefox for now. You guys have fun now, ya hear? ;)

10. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

I've got two bookmark sections on my Chrome and neither of them is much different from other browsers I've used. I quite like the bookmarks system I've got set up. I' don't really understand what you're talking about.

11. VynniL

I just checked, the doco I saw says it works in FireFox. I played with my test google doc and confirmed it does work in Firefox.

Sack-a-Doo! likes this.
  12. Steerpike

Google Docs will work in pretty much any browser (all of the ones I've tried it in, both in Windows and Linux). But if you want to run it in offline mode, I think you need to have Chrome.

VynniL likes this.
  13. Steerpike

Of course, if you're in offline mode it doesn't make much difference what your bookmarks are doing since you're not connected to the web.

VynniL likes this.
  14. RichieMarcus

RichieMarcus New Member

Ever since I discovered Google Docs for school writing, I haven't even bothered with other word programs (except occasionally Notepad when I need to jot down some quick notes). As well as all the features mentioned before, I personally love the ability to get a definition to a word without opening a separate tab. I just highlight the word, right-click, and hit 'define'. Real handy, considering I often use words without fully knowing what they actually mean. Also handy for getting some synonyms if I find I'm using a word too often.

VynniL likes this.
  15. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

You can save a step ... no need to highlight the word if you just click the cursor anywhere in the word you can right click for define.

VynniL likes this.
  16. Sack-a-Doo!

@Steerpike & @LennyV:

How odd that it works in Firefox. I got that tidbit from their website. Perhaps it was an old page.

VynniL likes this.
  17. Steerpike

I think they're probably talking about offline mode.

VynniL likes this.
  18. Sack-a-Doo!

Ah! Okay. Still, if I have to use it in a browser I'm not too keen on that. I already own Celtx which can be used for prose and I don't even use it for screenwriting.

VynniL likes this.
  19. VynniL

I think it's just useful to be aware of it. I like to see it as an alternative to just backing up things to a drive. I see having something online as a handy alternative. We've all had situations when our PCs die on us unexpectedly and in a world where we have other devices, things like google docs/drive are a good secondary option. It will stop us crying from the urge to keep working on our creations while we shop for another machine or wait for its return from the repair shop.

I was writing on my phone in bed after I woke up the other day. I had a dream and it had to be written down. Google docs app on my iPhone did the trick. It was just getting my head around the idea it is worth using, because when I get back to my desk and refresh my google drive, it will be there waiting for me to continue. :)

Anyway, I also wanted to mention, one of the things that I really have to get my head around is PRIVACY.

By default, it is set to private to only the owner. -- Makes sense and thank goodness...

Regardless, it still freaks me out. I say this because I am using this against my personal account. And as I am practicing my smut writing lately, it never ceases to worry me that friends and acquaintances that don't know I write will mysteriously be alerted to my rather graphic text! So I still keep checking the sharing permissions, paranoid. It is still set to just me... Phew!

Sack-a-Doo! likes this.
  20. VynniL

And to the people who really, really freak out about having things online... Really, it's no different from all our emails. Yes, we can download it to our PC, but most of us have online email accounts that would store a lot of our correspondence and important details. Occasionally, the email servers are unavailable...we still survive.

Google docs is no different in my mind, eventually, we'll get access again. :)

21. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

Gonna pull a slight @Cave Troll and bring this thread back from the dead here. I was doing some editing in doc`s today when a shiny new feature popped up telling me to check it out. The explore feature keeps track of what you're typing and comes up with a list of topics you can search as well as a list of related research. I can see where this may come in handy for story research here and there, could be a useful new feature.

Oscar Leigh and Cave Troll like this.
  22. Vagrant Tale

Vagrant Tale Active Member

That does sound quite useful for fiction writing, and actually for homework too!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  23. antlad

antlad Banned

Why not just create a different account, at Yandex or somewhere, and use that? call it smutwriter@yandex, then it isn't tied to your google account.

24. VynniL

Never heard of Yandex. In the end, it's about convenience. I don't want to log in and out of multiple accounts. I do now anyway and I get lost. It becomes an overhead.

25. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

I use gdocs a lot. Mainly for work projects. The collaboration features are pretty wicked.
    Though it's not good for formatting and writing scripts. MS Word lets you save styles
    which speeds up productivity. But gdocs doesn't seem to have that feature.

Though recently I discovered the Doc Outline tool which detects headers and
    lists them with each item anchored to the relevant section.
    Fucking awesome. Wish I found it earlier lol

VynniL and Oscar Leigh like this.