Tags:
  1. Rumwriter

Rumwriter Active Member

Grand Romantic Gesture

Discussion in 'Research' started by Rumwriter, Oct 22, 2017.

Looking for a movie or novel in which one character travels a huge distance to be with another character and show up unexpectedly at their door. I need my character to reference it, eg "Wow. You're just like so-and-so from so-and-so."

I should add that the line is spoken by a woman in her 70s. It's definitely meant to be an elegant sort of thing. So, I need a Cary Grant or a Humphrey Bogart or Clark Gable or something.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Movies /Books are difficult as you need something most readers will have heard of , if you use say Rob in Free to Trade (Micheal Ridpath) hardly anyone will know what you are talking about

Songs might be a better bet, e.g The Proclaimers 500 miles , Cyndi Lauper I drove all night

3. Rumwriter

Rumwriter Active Member

But surely there must be some classic film. It seems like a trope to be avoided these days because it's been done in the past. I just can't think of specific examples somehow.

4. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Radar Love?

Also, Road Trip. The late 90's movie with Tom Green, yeah that one, is basically that but with a sex tape or something. I dunno, not a great movie, but it was the only one that came to mind.

5. Rumwriter

Rumwriter Active Member

Oh, so I should add that the line is spoken by a woman in her 70s. It's definitely meant to be an elegant sort of thing. So, Tom Green won't work. I need a Cary Grant or a Humphrey Bogart or Clark Gable or something.

6. Rumwriter

Rumwriter Active Member

An Affair to Remember is the closest I can come up with at present, so I'm gonna go with that for the time being, but would still love other suggestions if anyone has them.

7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

How about Odysseus? Doesn't get much more classic than that.

Night Herald and OJB like this.
  8. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

The fourth book in the 'Filthy-beautiful' series by Kendall Ryan does this. It's a solid read, but I would warn you -should you choose to read it- it is a very adult book.

9. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Apparently when it happens in TV series felicity its one of the grand romantic gestures of all time .... acording to Mr Google ... personally Ive never heard of it which illustrates your major problem

10. OJB

You know, I'd love to read a Romance that has a contemporary ending of the Odyssey with the massacring of unwanted guests in a banquet hall.

11. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Right? That would be awesome!

I was thinking more about the high school version where they don't really mention the bloodbath. They made it sound like Odysseus showed up, strung his bow, and the suitors slunk away slightly rejected, but no more worse for wear. Only later did I learn that Odysseus went Chuck Norris on they ass.

Catrin Lewis and Shenanigator like this.
  12. The Dapper Hooligan

Homer Potvin likes this.
  13. big soft moose

You'd have to lose the deux ex machina very end bit of Athena just telling everyone to be friends when the suitors families show up

14. OJB

I could live with this loss.

15. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Movie Ending Spoiler alert!!!

There is a Bogart-Bacall movie where her character joins him on the lam at the end of the movie. I think it was Dark Passage. It's been a while since I've seen it, but if I recall, Bogart's character was innocent, but he'd been framed and the evidence was stacked against him, so he knew he was going to hang for the crime he didn't commit. She helps him escape, and he phones her and tells her he's going to Peru and that he won't call her ever again but asks her to meet him in a waterfront cafe in this little town when the heat's off "if you can see your way clear." End of the movie, you see Bacall dressed to the nines meeting Bogie at the waterfront cafe in the little town.

Not what you're looking for, but the closest I could come up with as a lover of classic films of the era you're wanting.

ETA: Oh! Maybe Gable in It Happened One Night. Still not the exact scenario, but he goes to huge lengths to be with her when he realizes he's in love with her. Cute movie. Check it out.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  16. The Dapper Hooligan

There's also the Sleepless In Seattle final meet up and the movie they were always referencing in it. It's been a few years since I've seen it, though, so it might not fit exactly.

17. big soft moose

that's 'an affair to remember' which is what rum writer is currently using

18. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

It was An Affair to Remember, although it's been so long since I've seen it, I can't remember which version the characters were referencing.

Although I'm a Cary Grant fan, I prefer the 1939 version with Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer. To me it had more emotional impact than the 1957 Grant-Kerr version. (Cary Grant and Irene Dunne would have been fantastic.)

ETA: Sorry, Moose! I misread your reply.

19. Skibbs

Skibbs Member

You might want to try music alongside this scene. For example, if the characters were talking - the song 'We Have All The Time In The World' by Louis Armstrong could be playing in the background, which foreshadows to the reader what you want to do next.