Gratitudinous Thoughts

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GrahamLewis, Oct 31, 2021.

1. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Currently Reading::
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    I mostly rake leaves, mulching the last few into the grass, but I am a bit surprised that you rake them at all; I would have thought with your agricultural and naturalist background you would mulch them all, or leave them for the little critters to hide in.

2. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Astute of you.

Leaves get raked under the hedges or dumped in the compost pile. If we didn't get them off the grass, over the winter they'd form a thick impenetrable brown mat that would smother every other living thing. This is dry country and vegetation doesn't degrade quickly. In the spring, we move the semi-decayed leaves into the flower beds and mix them into the soil. No leaves leave the property in plastic bags. I chop up the remains of my bedding plants and perennials and spread the mulch back on their bed. The only things that get picked up by the side of the road are woody branches and rose canes. They go to the city landfill where they're turned into mulch for people to pick up in the spring for their gardens.

Have I renewed your faith in my green witch nature?

3. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    I never doubted you.

Catriona Grace likes this.
  4. Catriona Grace

Thank you.

5. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Grateful for my recent opportunity to edit a serious law article and to realize I still got it. Grateful that the bitter winter weather is still in hiatus. Grateful to have the opportunity and desire to be grateful.

Madman and Louanne Learning like this.
  6. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    From Bringing Yoga to Life by Donna Farhi: "Of all the qualities that can transform a life practice, gratitude and faith stand supreme. . . . Spend a few moments contemplating these truths. First, you are alive. It could have turned out differently! Second, your life circumstances are such that you could afford to buy the book, and you are educated enough to read it. It is likely you have shelter, a place to sleep, and food to eat."

Actually, I was given the book instead of buying it, but I could have done so.

7. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

I would say that the most important faith is faith in yourself.

8. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Grateful for the first snow of winter, because that's the way it ought to be in November. Grateful that my snowblower started up (though I probably will not need it for now). Grateful for a furnace that works reliably (knock wood).

Louanne Learning likes this.
  9. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Grateful for any days I have left with my mother as she gradually slides into her ending. Grateful to have discovered today that my long-time friend is also a great yoga teacher (and a bit disappointed I left for so long to find out). Grateful that the snow has held off on my way down and is likely to on my way back. And a 4th one: grateful that my old car seems to be holding up fine (knock wood).

10. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    And grateful to be safely home again.

11. Catriona Grace

At this moment, I'm grateful for a birdseed-filled heating pad and a grandson who is willing to heat it up in the microwave repeatedly and bring it to me. Sometimes I get cold and cannot warm up. This is one of those times and wrapping my hands in a hot pad helps immensely. No fire tonight because the chimneysweep comes tomorrow and the chimney needs to be cold for his/her visit.

12. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Grateful that it's above freezing outside (for a few hours); grateful to have ten working fingers; grateful for all the experiences I've had (and survived thus far).

13. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Fresh cold water in a real glass (not plastic). A good coat on cold blustery day. The ability to walk upright, to sit, to type.

Madman and Louanne Learning like this.
  14. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Grateful that it's cold and spitting snow outside . . . . because I'm in the airport terminal and on my way to a Florida beach for a few days. More seriously, I'm grateful for the opportunity to travel, and grateful to the vast infrastructure that makes it possible (and for the fact that no one, as of yet anyway, has been able to sabotage the American airline network).

Louanne Learning and Madman like this.
  15. Catriona Grace

Every time I'm forced to fly I am convinced of the exact opposite.

16. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Last night I went to a college basketball game with two guys, long-time friends to each other, all of us about the same age, me a year older. One of the guys had been a software engineer, and is sliding slowly into dementia; the other had been an insurance lawyer, now retired and dealing with Parkinson's disease. I found myself feeling grateful that I have thus far been spared both of those fates, though I also know that life rarely presents a bed of roses, at least without thorns. For what I have had thus far, much thanks.

I was also grateful that the winter weather was gentle last night, making it easier for me to adapt from Miami hot to midwest cold.

And I also grateful, in a sort of frivolous way, that my adopted home team won a close game. And for that matter, that my lawyer friend offered me a ticket and drove.

AntPoems and Louanne Learning like this.
  17. Catriona Grace

I'm not in the mood to go to work today, but I'm grateful I have a job to go to.

18. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    "Often we do not see that we have all the conditions necessary for happiness, and we go looking for happiness in another place or in the future. To be able to breathe can be a great source of real happiness, but often, unless we have a congested nose or asthma, we are not able to realize that. To be able to see beautiful colors and forms is happiness, but often only after we have lost our sight do we become aware of this. Having sound and healthy limbs to be able to run and jump, living in an atmosphere of freedom, not being separated from our family -- all these things and thousands more can be elements of happiness." Thich Nhat Hanh, Transformation and Healing.

AntPoems, Louanne Learning and Xoic like this.
  19. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Grateful to walk into a supermarket, select whatever I reasonably want, insert my debit card and be told I am "approved." Grateful for a gray sky over white snow. Grateful for a reliable car.

20. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Except at the grocery store this morning they were out of fresh thyme for my soup!

So I'm grateful for bay leaves.

21. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    There's always time for soup.

22. Louanne Learning

I'm a big soup eater. I make a big pot and we eat it for three days.

23. Catriona Grace

We do the same thing. I made green chili last night. Next on the menu is ham soup.

24. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

the oceans are a large soup stirred by the wind and currents. Therefore soup is the most fundamental dish.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  25. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    With beans or noodles? Both are good options IMHO. My mom has passed down to us an old family recipe for ham soup with navy or northern beans.