1. jtorsch

jtorsch New Member

Greetings from Maryland

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jtorsch, Dec 6, 2008.

Hi everyone, my name is John and I'm 24 years old. First a little about myself. I love my current job, I am a regional manager for a surveillance company and travel between my 5 surrounding states quite often.( MD,VA,PA,DE,WV) I go into the little back woods towns and see alot of Americana that most people will never see. I was cook/chef for about 8 years before I changed careers 3 years ago.

I have a real passion for food and cooking as well as travel. I've traveled to several countries, more than 20 states and lived in Jamaica for a short time. While on the road and in my travels I keep a detailed log on where I stay and where/what I eat. I eat 90% road food (mom & pop shops) and try to stay away from chain restaurants. I really want to get into food/travel writing but I'm not sure how to go about it. I've been reading up on the subject and have found several helpful resources but I'm hesitant on submitting my work because I don't know where to start. The only things I've ever had published were 2 recipes in cook books and a poem in highschool. I'm looking to start this as a hobby but put some real time and effort into it. What should I do? Any input is appreciated. Thanks

2. Sonshine

Sonshine New Member

Hello John and welcome! That's a pretty interesting story you have, travel is great but I'm always glad to come home :)

I think the best thing you can do to start is write something you are thinking about, see how it comes out, work on it a little, and if you like it, submit it here! The review system here has also helped me be more conscious in my own writing so try that out too to help yourself! I think you could fabricate a pretty interesting story with all the information you've gathered from your travels and explorations.