Grind My Gears, Rant Off!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Megalith, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Exactly. If you complain your job is boring and you don't want to do it, your boss will very likely just show you the door, and find someone else who will do it. I'm sure it'll not take long for that boss to find someone who actually appreciates just having the work, no matter what it is.

I have a very relaxed teaching style. I generally don't mind what happens in my classroom so long as the work gets done. I've had the learners put music on, I've had one A-level student dance around the room because he said it helped him think. Just as long as the work is done I don't mind, don't really care what happens to be honest. Yes, I am paid to be there, but I also enjoy being there for them too. It gives me a lot of satisfaction helping people develop their skills.

2. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

People who tell atheists they're going to burn in Hell forever and then expect us not to criticize their beliefs. They have no evidence for that awful doctrine, but they throw it in our faces as if were absolute truth. How do you know? How do you know that the Bible and the idea of Hell came from God? Were you there when it was written?

Just another brand of bigotry.

outsider and Lemex like this.
  3. croak3r

croak3r Member

The worst part i find about religious people who insist on forcing their beliefs onto other people is that they usually have no idea about their own religion. Hell is a good example, there is no mention of people being sent to hell if they sin and it's just an interpretation that has evolved over the years, but most Christians are completely ignorant of the fact.

4. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

How do you know evolution actually happened? Have you seen the fossils and made DNA comparisons yourself?

5. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I hate that my mind is so damned analytical all the damned time. Don't get me wrong, it's served me well in my college career and may it continue to serve me well in the years to come, but there are times when it needs to shut off. I feel like there's a court in my head analyzing, re-examining, cross-examining, and discussing every little minute thing into making a decision. I don't mean big decisions, I mean little decisions like what to eat or what hobby I'd like to do first, etc.

Don't even get me started on how bad its gotten with my creativity. Everything from the world building down the period has to be analyzed. Is this right? Is this OK? What if I did it a different way. It's pretty aggravating.

6. Adenosine Triphosphate

I know that the basic process of descent with modification is valid because I know that various diseases can run in families, that dogs can be selectively bred for different traits, and that bacteria can over time develop resistance to antibiotics. While small, those events are examples of evolution, and I can look around and see them happening. I cannot look around and see Hell happening, and if anyone else can, they don't have anything to show for it. Nothing scientifically reproducible, at least.

Aren't you an atheist?

EDIT: In any case, if someone managed to invalidate the Theory of Evolution, I would toss it aside. My belief in it is not absolute, and my hypothetical error would hardly justify such a barbaric doctrine as eternal damnation... actually, what do they even have to do with each other?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  7. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

What grinds my gears? This. All of this. You, for posting this.

It's not YOUR JOB to criticize the beliefs of Christians. It's not YOUR JOB to tell them how awful their doctrine is. Its not YOUR JOB to prove to them that what they believe is wrong.

If a Christian comes up to you and says, "You're going to hell," by all means, tell the, you don't believe in hell and move on. But those people aren't the definition of Christianity. They are angry people who feel they are better than the non-Christian population and need to "save them." Those people are sick. So when you encounter them, you should pity them, not sink to their level and try to make them feel shitty because they don't believe the same thing you do. Because that is incredibly hypocritical.

Atheists get angry at Christians for belittling them, then Christians get mad at atheists, then they get mad back, and it's just a never ending fucking cycle that has to stop. It's ridiculous and immature and classless. I have ZERO RESPECT for people who GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to belittle others because their beliefs are different. ESPECIALLY when it comes to religion. Religion is the most personal experience in fucking world, and NO ONE, not ONE DAMN PERSON, has the right or the "TRUTH" to tell them they are wrong.

I am not Christian. I am pagan. And I bet many people would laugh at me and tell me how fucking stupid my beliefs are and try to prove that what I believe in is bullshit. But you haven't experienced what I've experienced. So while it may be bullshit to you, it's not to me. And nothing you say is going to change that. Period. And I can guaran-damn-tee you that Christians feel the exact same way.

Save your breath. Save the anger. Stop giving a shit about what other people do, think, or believe, and focus on your damn self.

Link the Writer likes this.
  8. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Senior Member

I hate it when the one soda dispenser that you want is out of order. There's a cherry limeade one at our local station that never works. Quit your jabbering about racism, politics, etc. This is the real issue in our country. Where's the soda, Obama?

9. Link the Writer

@Lea`Brooks , @123456789 ,@Adenosine Triphosphate = Look ladies and gents, please don't take this the wrong way, but I, as the Agnostic, was interpreting Adenosine's post as 'I don't like how some Christians go around saying that I'm going to hell, then get upset when I strike back by questioning their beliefs'. I mean, belief or not, to go up to someone and say, "Because of my belief/disbelief, I'm going to judge you for having your own belief/disbelief." is...prejudice I guess? I mean, let me put it a different way: if I went up to you and said, "I am judging you because of things that are none of my business" you then have every right to retaliate.

Also, just for clarification: there are shitty people in all walks of life, and y'know what? Those who aren't the shitty people from within that very group hate them. Plenty of Atheists hate Dawkins who goes around calling believers delusional infants. Plenty of Christians hate Christians who malign Jesus' words to fit their own bigotry. Why? Because it makes the actually decent, compassionate Atheists and Christians look bad.

We need to send a memo to the President at once!

10. Adenosine Triphosphate

I'm actually an agnostic atheist. I don't believe in religion, but I'm not completely closed to the general idea of a creator. I doubt it, but I'm not sure. The list of options on my profile made me choose between atheist and agnostic, and I went with the former for a variety of reasons, but I'd still ideally prefer to put both.

11. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Senior Member

Link the Writer,
    It touches me deeply that we can have a cooperative rant together. In a thread that is causing much empty division, we can band together in a spirit of unity. I send you my warm regards.
    Sincerely,
    Masked Mole

12. Adenosine Triphosphate

Your anger at me for expressing my views contradicts your message of tolerance. You tell me not to insult someone for holding the insulting belief that me and everyone who doesn't share their faith is going to burn in Hell, but you insult me for insulting them. I fail to see how they are more deserving of tact than I am.

That said, I feel any further posts on my part would be wasted, and so I am not going to address everything in yours. This will be my last message on this subject, at least in this thread.

In the meantime, I suggest you consider what many of the people you are defending from me think of non-Christian faiths like your own. Their extremism paints both of us in a similar light.

13. Adenosine Triphosphate

On a lighter note, Florida weather is the pits.

14. Lilly James Haro

Lilly James Haro The Grey Warden

I really hate having to be the better person to someone who is always being an ass to you.
    I mean I can handle being polite and cordial to someone I only see occasionally but having to deal with the same ass at school everyday for 9 years is too much. Especially if they always find new ways to be rude and criticise you. I am so sick of being called an idiot for being Christian, wanting to study English at university, for being bad at Japanese, for dropping Math, for having a speech impediment, etc. and having to just smile and be polite. I don't have good patience and it should not be constantly tested.

15. croak3r

croak3r Member

I disagree. When a religious person comes up to me and tries to put their beliefs onto my lifestyle i am within my rights to argue against them.
    I have to say i was born into a christian family and raised as a christian, but i decided to look at the facts and arguments against religion and then decided i didn't believe in it. Thats not to say that i will force my opinion onto every religious person i see, but if they try to do it to me then i have no problem having a discussion with them on why their beliefs in my views are nonsense. I find that it's generally religious people who want to belittle atheist's for their beliefs without reason anyway.

16. Link the Writer

Unless it's asked for, our opinions on someone's belief/disbelief is none of our damned business! That goes for both sides, I would think.

And I have had Christians try to hand me flyers in an attempt to 'save me', but I don't lump them all in the same category as those particular Christians. Way I see it, there are pricks in all walks of life, in all different categories. Doesn't make 'em all bad, and the actually decent ones hate them just as much as anyone else would.

<--- Agnostic, just so everyone knows.

But we're getting way off topic. Let's not summon the Angry Unicorn via our in-fighting about different beliefs that everyone should have the right to have, so long as they're not shoving it in people's faces/using it to justify personal bigotry. I may not believe in a particular God/Goddess, but I'm not about to call anyone a delusional infant for believing in one. The only reason I'd even ask about it is when I'm curious about what they do and why they do it. Why do Jews and Muslims consider pork unclean? Is there a 'coming of age' for Jewish and Muslim faiths? Are there foods Christians consider unclean, or is that exclusively Jewish/Islamic tradition? Those sort of questions I would ask because I'm just curious and want to know about different cultures around the world.

17. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

I apologize for being so angry/insulting. Discussions of the religious freedom variety always light a fuse in me and set me off in a way nothing else can. Just to clarify, that post wasn't directed at you in particular, but all atheists (or other non-Christians) in general. So when I said "you," I didn't mean you personally, but atheists as a group, if that makes sense...

Again.. My apologies. I lost my head a little bit there..

18. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Pork has worms.

19. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Yip, I have. I'm a country boy - a child of rural England. I've seen, just as Darwin saw, generations live and die within a short time thanks to Pigeon Fanciers.

20. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

And this song is already playing in uncounted, sundry, ever multiplying, ever replicating, tedious, tiresome, ridiculous numbers of threads in the Debate Room. Go get your dance cards stamped yonder, folks.

:closed:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.