1. I Am Vague

I Am Vague Active Member

Guns blazing or a touching finale?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by I Am Vague, Jan 28, 2015.

In my WIP, I nearly have it outlined to the very end. However, I can't decide which route to take for it to reach the end. Two boys are "feuding", I guess you could call it, because of drugs, trust, and more importantly revenge, but I don't know if I should make that their main motives.

Their common enemy has already been dealt with shortly before the intended ending, but I don't want it to be as simple as ONE planning to get revenge for all the misdeeds that have happened because of TWO. I don't know how to bring the conclusion of them both unless it's through a 'guns blazing' standoff. I'd rather it not just be as simple as ONE going out to kill TWO because of he wronged him. It's boring, and no one should ever intend on it being a decent way to end a story.

The question is: Is there any other way to possibly end this story without a scene of mundane bloodshed? I don't want all this work to wind up ending with a simple death match between them. Either can die, but I don't want it to be as simple as that, seeing how they're both main characters. HOWEVER, one must meet his match from the other. Above all, I want it to be creative, and I want it to mean something, whether it be a personal revelation by the remaining main character, or stand as a message to the reader.

Thanks guys!

2. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

How about ONE going in with the intention of killing TWO, only to find that someone else has got to him first. ONE can choose to 1) walk away 2) watch and enjoy 3) offer to help 4) try to save TWO and succeed 5) try to save TWO and fail.

RachHP likes this.
  3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Were these two boys friends before the feud?

4. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Why don't you write the whole story and when you actually get there, see what comes out? Sometimes the ending writes itself.

matwoolf likes this.
  5. RachHP

RachHP Senior Member

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but something to think about (even just to dismiss it!)

What if each guy decides the only way to end this is bloodshed, but they decide to ultimately 'forgive' the other/punish themselves and both of them die - but by their own hand.
    Their own, self inflicted deaths, would be a chance for contemplation and could make an ending that's both gory but also focussed on their personal revelations.
    Some readers would be seriously pissed off, but at least it's a strong reaction ;)

6. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Whenever I hear "should I do either X or Y," my knee-jerk reaction is always "Why not both :cool:"

(of course, sometimes there ends up being an actual reason not to do both :( but even then, I still think it's good that I at least tried)

The boys' camaraderie wears off, the feud comes back, and they shoot each other. They don't deal enough damage to kill either instantly, but it is enough that neither can shoot again. Now that both are dying, they independently decide that it wasn't worth it, and they both end up trying to help each other to an underworld doctor that can fix them up without going to the cops.

Even if you think that "they tried to kill each other but then saved each other's lives instead" would be too "after-school special", then maybe the story could end before we find out whether they made it or not? That way, readers could decide for themselves whether to interpret the ending as "heartwarming redemption, human decency won out over hatred" versus "too little, too late, the damage was done."

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  7. I Am Vague

I Am Vague Active Member

Thank you all for your suggestions. All of you gave me some unique way to take the ending.

Bryan, I cannot take this path because their common enemy has already seen his ending by this time. They have no one else to fear but each other this far into the storyline.

Mckk, that strikes me as being a pantser. A lot of people don't like that style, but personally, spur of the moment writing gives me some of the best scenarios and lets me write their reactions in real time instead of pre-meditated time. It makes it seem more realistic. I use this method when I'm blocked, as it's an easy way to get the ball rolling. I see what you mean, but I'd prefer to use it at a point that isn't the climax/resolution every event's been building to.

RachHP, your ending reminds me of a certain show I watched recently. (I mentioned it on another post a while back) and a lot of people were upset with how it ending, although I found it to be fitting. It was a depressing ending, but all loose ends were tied; they were at peace in the end because of it. I like the idea of it, but the problem is, they're both too stubborn and obsessed with winning and getting out alive than being noble. They are definitely not noble people. They'd rather see the other one dead if it came to it.

Simpson, your suggestion I seem to like the most, because what better time to have a collective catharsis of all your actions and all that has happened than when your life is nearly over, and at a time you didn't see coming/ didn't want to happen. Being defeated will bring out emotions they've never felt, and one seeing the other suffering will bring even more to the table. Letting their rage subside and sadness take over will definitely take it a new direction. Thank you! A+

Thank you all for your suggestions! I appreciate everyone's help

Simpson17866 and RachHP like this.
  8. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Good luck!