Guys, Please Describe Your Ideal Woman.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Vacuum Eater, Feb 10, 2010.

1. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

Yeah, never in my life heard a guy say he wanted to go wife-hunting.

Some guys have a very specific idea of who they want - this sharply defined image of a One True Love whom they haven't yet met. These are the guys who die alone.

Then there are those who take whatever action they can get. No regrets.

Somewhere in the middle, there's the rest. Those who have ideals but are able to compromise, improvise and adapt.

"Hey, I wouldn't mind a Jessica Alba, but now I met this girl down the corner store and she's kinda nice too. Probably less trouble than a Jessica Alba, anyway."

2. Atari

Atari Active Member

Physically? That one Asian chick that came to the establishment wherein I work. Man. NOTHING could be more attractive than that.

Regarding personality, I really know not.

3. architectus

architectus Banned

Jessica Alba with better boobs and nose. That covers it for looks. The intelligence of Michio Kaku and the humor of a mix between Dean Koontz and Woody Allen. The gentleness and morals of the Dalai Lama. Throw in a dash of Marilyn Manson.

4. architectus

architectus Banned

Oh, but my true ideal woman is probably an andoid.

5. Forgetmenot77

Forgetmenot77 Member

I respect her for her honestly she speaks her heart.

6. jacklondonsghost

jacklondonsghost New Member

I'm not a guy, so maybe my opinion won't be as useful to you, but I what I like in a woman is somebody who is on my level, and who enjoys having thoughtful conversations. I like someone who can contribute to conversations, not just nod and smile and change the subject. I also look for somebody who likes to go out and do things; I am very sick of dating people who never get out and who sit on the couch like it's a recreational activity. It's important that the person be independant and not rely on me to keep them entertained. I like for them to have their own interests and things to do. Also, cleanliness is really, really important. I could date someone who is messy, like leaves things lying around the house, but I don't think I'd ever date someone with greasy skin or someone who doesn't make an effort in regards to their appearance. And not that I would NEVER date someone bigger than myself, but I tend not to because I like to be the "protector" in the relationship, and that's hard if the other person is physically bigger than me. But that's not a hard and fast rule I have, it's just a pattern I've noticed in myself.

A love for music is also pretty important to me. I find I have a hard time connecting with women who don't listen to music, or who have poor taste in it.

7. Cosmos

Cosmos New Member

I think the word I'm looking for is...word. xD Generalizations of a gender is just so last century, you know?

Anyways, no idea what guys look for in a woman, sorry. (yeah, I think the cat's out of the bag on my gender now, seems the icon never got removed after). I've been the madonna, the whore and everything in between and some guys like it and others didn't. Like the others said, you're best off discovering the personality of the character and base it off that.

If we're doing it in the reverse my personal tastes involves someone who's clever but not arrogant, sweet but not a total pushover, has a lot in common with me, shares my dreams and someone who respects and is honest with me. The one thing that's probably the most important is honesty. Without trust there can be no love and with no love there can be no committed relationships.

Fortunately the one I got is pretty much all of that and hawt to boot, so bonus! :p

8. ronmatt

ronmatt New Member

You do know that Marilyn Manson is a male, don't you? I'm just sayin', but whatever floats the 'ol boat.

9. DvnMrtn

DvnMrtn Active Member

lol x 3. I think he meant Munroe

10. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

After a few days of consideration, I realize there might be a caveat to the answer I originally provided. My initial response was that guys simply do not act that way...they don't go "looking" for a wife. However, that response assumes a typical Western culture. It may not be true in other societies where arranged marriages or female shortages might exist.

For example, when the communist Chinese government decreed that couples could only have one child, the male to female ratio changed. Normal is around 108 boys for every 100 girls born. The Chinese culture valued male children over females so some couples found ways to make sure their "one" child was male. I read that it was not uncommon in rural areas for peasants to drown infant girls shortly after birth. Over time, this government restriction produced a rate of 120 boys to 100 girls. Today in China, this imbalance means women for marriage are a premium. In such a society, it would not be surprising if a group of young men decided to look actively for wives. Here's an old article about the male:female imbalance in China and its consequences:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5953508

In another culture, one where arranged marriages still exist, I could also see where a group of young men, rebelling against tradition, might act in the same way. The act of finding their own wives would satisfy a common male need to rebel against the system.

Both these instances reflect cultural influences that could result in a group of young men making some kind of pact or joint effort to find wives. However, I still think it is pretty much unheard of in western society.

Just had an afterthought--a story about a group of Chinese exchange students living in America or the UK could successfully introduce the notion about a group of young men seeking wives. It would be entirely consistent with the shortage of women in their homeland, and might involve some fascinating cross-cultural conflict...might even work as a humorous novel.

11. DvnMrtn

DvnMrtn Active Member

But maybe a story about them acting that way would work. It is fiction after all and partly the reason we read it is to escape the norm. I think a story about guys going wife hunting could be funny. The author would just have to make sure they give the feeling that it is out of the ordinary because by writing under the assumption that it is normal the reader might just be thinking "um wtf"? But if it's pointed out that is different.....who knows

12. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Actually, DVN, that has some potential. Guys will do just about anything to win a bet. Maybe a bunch of beer-drinking, college frat boys make a bet. Then, the story follows each member as he struggles with the reality of such a bet. Some actually find love (not really expecting it), while others feign love in an effort to win the bet. Conflict can take many forms...hurt feelings of women who discover the "bet", guys who thought of it as a joke but really did fall in love. This could evolve in many directions, a chick-flick romance, a great comedy or an insight-provoking, character-driven classic novel.

The key to making this work is exactly what DVN said. The author must invent a believable situation where such a premise (group wife hunting) would play off as realistic, especially in western society. Might also work with a group of Mormons looking for 2, maybe 3, wives each, or some other subculture like the Amish where the boys seek a wife, but require applicants to send a picture of her horse and carriage first...LOL

13. achen9660

achen9660 New Member

I look for a girl thats attractive, interesting, unique, and intelligent.

14. DvnMrtn

DvnMrtn Active Member

Dibs

15. ronmatt

ronmatt New Member

I suppose these attributes are more desirable than; ugly, dull, average and dumb. Unless you want to keep them for life. If they're ugly, dull, average and dumb, they're not gonna leave you.

16. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

That remark may have been tongue-in-cheek, but it reflects an attitude that some men really hold. It's an attiitude which is really demeaning toward women.

Besides, what does it say about you if after all that, she does pack up and leave you?

17. Flame

Flame New Member

Umm... how's about one of the guys is a openhearted man looking for love and he meets a Slovenian woman who isn't really very attractive... at all... but she's a good house cleaner?

18. Irish87

Irish87 New Member

I don't think I'm really fit to answer this question, but I think it's mostly universal when it comes to men. Right now, at this moment in time, I want sex and, if I'm feeling up to it, somebody to tell horribly offensive jokes to. Then again, I'm twenty-two and my idea of a relationship is In-N-Out Burger.

Now, if I were to sit down and honestly think about somebody I want to spend the rest of my life with, then quite honestly I would probably pick somebody (incoming cliche!) who completes me. I know, I know, that sounds ridiculous. Still, when I think of somebody who I want to spend the rest of my life with I am thinking of somebody who makes me happy, somebody who can joke and somebody who I can argue with and know that words are harmless - it's our actions which matter.

Yes, of course I want somebody who I deem attractive, but that is so easily said. So often we just toss out the word attractive, ignoring the fact it's entirely subjective. If our barometer for attractive was simply what society as a whole deems it to be then only supermodels would be getting married.

Above all else however, I want somebody who I'm friends with. And with that in mind, I go back to reality. Thank God for bourbon.

19. HorusEye

My girlfriend is my best friend. She's smart, has good values and a solid positive outlook on life. When my defeatist side shows its face, she puts it to shame. When I'm trying to get a point across that nobody seem to get, she already knows what I'm talking about. Sometimes it's a little scary how well she understands me. She has strengths where I'm weak, and vice versa. And I used to have this firm belief that men and women can never understand eachother properly.

When I first met her, I didn't think it was gonna go anywhere. In the beginning I was even on the verge of bailing out a few times, despite how good she looks in a thong. But she was very persistant and not easily scared away. Now I couldn't picture myself being with anyone else but her. Thing is, for me, she became my ideal woman over time, as I got to know her better and began to understand how she affected my life - the ideal woman for me isn't a trinket or a prize that fits onto a shelf, but a person who I feel as one with - I think she just knew this long before I did. I could never feel alone as long as she's in my life, and I get scared to think about where I'd been if I hadn't met her. That's how I know she's ideal for me.

How does this relate to the subject? Well, I'm convinced that the things we think we want and the things we actually need rarely match up. Hell, some guys actually go for girls they think will impress their friends and random strangers on the street, rather than the girl who they'd really feel good being around. Sometimes they're not even aware of that themselves. Maybe that side of things is worth adding to your novel.

20. SilverRam

SilverRam New Member

Attractiveness and housework make up all of a relationship? What about personality, talent, and compatibility?
    Why Slovenian?
    You probably didn't mean for it to come out that way but it did.

21. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

Well I can see a lot of replies so far.... a lot stating the 'attractive'. What an insight! My girlfriend is amazing and ticks alot of these boxes but here is the dream girl:

Average figure (neither skinny or fat), but enough there to have hips and ass but nothing to hot as she might stray.
    Pert boobs (this usually means petite rather than massive things.
    Long eye lashes.
    Intelligence. Passionate about things. Wise and smart. Savvy.
    Laughs at my jokes.
    No hang ups about her looks.
    Doesn't care if her hairs a mess, or what she wears.
    Catty and prepared to fight off other women if they show an interest in me.
    Beautiful smile that engages.
    Cooks and cleans.
    Affectionate.
    Long flowing hair.

Justa few ideas for your character....in a mans opinion.:rolleyes:

22. Norm

Norm New Member

Indeed. Long, crazy hair that still kinda flows is very attractive on a woman. (To me at least.)

23. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If this thread descends into raunchy comments (again), it will be closed.

24. A2theDre

A2theDre Active Member

I don't like this. A guy can't really win these days. If he doesn't date a woman based solely on her looks, he's shallow. However, if he doesn't date a woman because her brains aren't up to the standard he wants, he's an ass.

To answer the OP, however, my ideal girl has the following:

Long dark hair (pref black)
    Shorter than me
    Blue eyes
    Size 8 (don't know what the US equivalent is though)
    An IQ of at least 120
    Enjoys video games and science fiction
    Is a quiet type. Shy, innocent, etc.

That has been my perfect woman for quite some time now. In actual fact, I have a girl like that, except she doesn't enjoy video games and/or science fiction to the extent I would like :(

25. HorusEye

No one is innocent. Especially not the quiet types. :p