Hand size rant

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kevin Teichman, Aug 20, 2018.

1. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

I think all of you is gorgeous. :bigsmile:

I don't actually like my own hands, because my fingers are thin, so my joints really stand out by comparison, making my knuckles look bulbous. I am content with their overall size though.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    ThunderAngel and Cave Troll like this.
  2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Don't worry about it, man. They aren't automatically indicative of your manly prowess. Most people won't pay attention anyway, so you're just griefing yourself here.

For the record, my hands look like albino vulture claws, all spindly and wrinkly and gnarly. Glass wrists. The veins on my forearms bulge all green and protruding - only nurses love them. Maleficient's hands.
    They're often the first thing I notice about myself in pictures. But I can type, I can open jars, I can write and draw and climb, so I shouldn't be too bothered. :)

3. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I have big hands. There used to be a 'swan's neck' hanging on my left side from the broken fingers - but I don't play sport any longer - and I think that has kind of healed.

Actually, I have a short neck, the actual neck - though - even as I always imagined myself having a beautiful neck, but apparently not. A physio guy told me he thought I'd broken my neck, it's so stiff, he said,but I think I'd remember about breaking my neck. I don't remember a neck incident.

As for men with little fingers and feet and stuff, I don't know so much about them, probably they brush off my thighs in crowds and bar-type situations, those little fellows, or ladies sometimes. I pick them up, place them on the counter. I don't mind if they're not really girls, I'm generous like that.

I suppose my grossest feature is my belly. If I breathe out before a mirror - it becomes the size of an armchair or a space hopper. Then I breathe in, lie back on the bed and worry about this condition - Which is my actual chest measurement? - kind of thing. That's when I rush to the bathroom scales. Sixteen stone, I'm fine. At seventeen stone I have to worry a little more. Sixteen presently, what with having a job, y'know.

T_L_K, OurJud and Cave Troll like this.
  4. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor

What is so interesting is that I have a good friend named Ian who actually sounds like a woman when he talks, but the guy is so big and masculine that he is quite intimidating.

I sound a little more masculine than he does, but I 'look' as womanly as he sounds, lol; oh such delicious irony!

5. Kevin Teichman

Kevin Teichman Active Member

Yeah you’re right, I see and hear self-confidence as being the key more than anything else. I like to think I’m confident.

And yes I am a frequent shopper in the Asian market lol. I dated a Vietnamese woman for three months or so earlier this year. It crashed in the end, but I got what I wanted I guess. I’m one of those guys who have a “thing” for Asian women, and yes quite often they are much shorter. I had a major crush on my Chinese auditing professor back in the spring, but unfortunately she’s married.

And yes I am straight. Straight with bisexual tendencies.

6. Kevin Teichman

Stones eh? I must ask, have you ever been to Wales? I think the flag, the Welsh language, and the 500 year old tea houses are totally cool! Robert Plant is a huge fan of Wales also, particularly Snowdonia. And one of his songs was inspired by a Welsh cottage, (Bron Yur Stomp). Okay getting a little off-topic lol.

I would say in all of my handsize complaining, my one saving grace is hand strength. I have closed the captains of crush 2.5, something most men can’t do without training.

It’s something I’m just going to have to live with. I don’t think Elon Musk, Robert Plant, and other successful people looked to petty things (e.g. hand size) as to why they can’t succeed.

7. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

So, bisexual :p

Iain Aschendale and KaTrian like this.
  8. Kevin Teichman

Well, almost. In feet-related things yes, dating and beyond, eh likely no.

9. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

I can understand the infuriation to some degree, because in comparison to my friends I have almost child-sized hands, but then I have to remind myself I'm also 5'1" and basically all of my friends are bigger/taller than me... (honestly thought, what I'd give to be only a handful inches taller, say 5'5"/5'6" because being basically a tall dwarf by Middle Earth standards can sometimes be annoying)

so yeah, either way, whoever becomes my partner is more than likely to be taller than me anyway... just a given...

unfortunately, I do have quite a flippant attitude sometimes, so the whole short-and-angry stereotype does sometimes happen, even though I don't intend for it to.

flawed personality and matwoolf like this.
  10. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

@Kevin Teichman

Hand transplants are getting cheaper, especially out east.

11. Nariac

Nariac Contributor Contributor

Oh, that's a weird coincidence. So do I. :)

12. Xander17

Xander17 Hermit Archetype Supporter Contributor

I'm 6'1". Spent decades unconsciously walking around with a hunched back, eye-line just in front of my feet. Years later becoming aware the hunched back was a reflection of my low self-esteem, unconsciously ashamed of my numerous imperfections - aspects of myself I was ashamed of, not happy with, or that which caused me problems...this also included unfavourable feedback from others. Hunching over was an attempt to not stand out, didn't want anyone to notice me and all the things I was ashamed of.

Been sorting my self-condemnation out for about two decades, or as I prefer to call it, sorting my shit out, for there were various other issues to deal with.

I'm tall but skinny, and have no manly muscles, but now I fully accept myself, warts and all, and I love myself. For over a decade, I now unintentionally walk straight and tall and actually like my lean frame. I'm working on a fitter body, but have no desire to bulk up with bulging muscles.

I've learnt that reality is imperfect, life is imperfect, and I am imperfect, but when I love and accept myself, these imperfections don't cause me to recoil in shame, or any other expression of self-depreciation. I lovingly accept what I have, who I am and I fix and develop what I choose to, motivated by a positive attitude, and am secure in myself that I don't have to feel inferior to others, and the unfavourable opinions of others are no longer my concern.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  13. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Hmm, I'm 5'9", which used to be average, but somehow recently all the men have gotten much taller than me. Wife is 5'5" though, which is about perfect (she thinks she's too tall, I think she's just right). There's a saying in Japanese that a short woman with a much taller male partner looks like a cicada clinging to a tree...

My hands are, well, hands. A Colt 1911 fits perfectly in them, but a Beretta M9 feels a little thick for comfort due to the double-stack magazine. They aren't terribly strong at the moment since there isn't much call for that in teaching, but well, yeah. My feet are between 8-9 US (26/27cm) which isn't on the "I'm a badass cuz big foots" thing" but is on the "Yes, we do have shoes in your size in Japan," which is nice. Should lose some weight, but when I was back to America last week I felt downright skinny, my target weight is only a double-digit loss (in pounds), not triple....

There's room for improvement, and some things I should be more worried about than I am, but I'm close enough to the middle of the bell curve in most things that I don't get too worried about it. That's really the key point though, I've had male friends who were closer to five feet than six who ignored that fact and never came across as "the short guy," known women who were overweight and confident who weren't "the fat chick," etc. As long as you aren't stunningly off the baseline, your attitude is going to make much more of a difference in everyday life than your physical attributes.

Shenanigator and matwoolf like this.
  14. matwoolf

At 5'9 you must have faced many challenges, folks calling you the 'short-ass syndrome,' and such? How did you manage with such ditsy feet? Did you fall over shooting your gun? Do you run to the cubicle? Often I enjoy the high view over at my urinal, only the cold slap of porcelain on my flesh can be irritating, and bruising. Long-drop they used to call it, the hang-man.

Moon, Cave Troll and Iain Aschendale like this.
  15. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I give myself 20$ for betting @matwoolf would be first to go to the genitals.

Cave Troll and matwoolf like this.
  16. matwoolf

I've been trying for weeks, worm dick

Moon, Cave Troll and 123456789 like this.
  17. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    It's rough, I'll admit. The cold tiles brushing against the midsection as I lift the head to clear the lip of the pisser can cause a dangerous shrinkage, but unless he gets down below the 5'4" I'm usually okay, after that I just need to count on carefully regulated hydraulic pressure to keep both the floor and the ceiling dry....

18. Xander17

Underlining the aspects I think are the issues worth exploring.
    So, why is this...why be miserable of or feel humiliated?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Cave Troll likes this.
  19. Kevin Teichman

Because I can’t be as big as I’d like for one, and short people are at a disadvantage. Which is why people say “He managed to make it in the NFL and he’s only 5’7” or referring to something that does not require physical abilities, “Tom Cruise is only 5 ft whatever, look at what he’s become. See? There are successful short people.”

It seems being a short male is something that must be overcome. Which is why the height of short people is mentioned when they’re talked about and praised. Would this mean men of average height and taller, on average, are better across the board?

It seems the best males in anything are at least average height (5’10”). There are always exceptions (Jeff Bezos, Nick Saban, Mark Wahlberg, Prince, and others) but they are extraordinary. They are not average or slightly above average in talent in their respective fields. They are geniuses. They are phenoms.

Cave Troll likes this.
  20. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Well, now. That is a shame.

21. mashers

Why, how tall are you? :rofl:

22. Xander17

@Kevin Teichman
    This is related to elements in your response.

Two blokes go to a comedy club to watch a new comedian. Comedians, of course, are folks who make people laugh. During the set, one bloke laughed nearly all the way through, while the other never laughed. How can this be if Comedians make people laugh?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  23. The Dapper Hooligan

Too tall, apparently. :(

24. mashers

Well I said I like guys who are shorter than me, and you don't know my height :rofl:

25. The Dapper Hooligan

Well, I'm 6'5", so unless you're secretly Yao Ming, chances are I'm not going to make a good little spoon.