Handwriting vs. Typing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by gavtheevilgenius, Oct 8, 2006.

?

Method of writing?

1. Pen and paper

7 vote(s)
    8.4%
  2. Typing

34 vote(s)
    41.0%
  3. Depends on what I am writing

9 vote(s)
    10.8%
  4. Other?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Both (depending on convenience, etc)

33 vote(s)
    39.8%
  1. Nezriel

Nezriel New Member

Definitely on the computer. And why?:

Because it doesn't cramp my hands and I can do it faster. If I were in the position where a computer wasn't available, I would surely write.

2. Anliya

Anliya New Member

Both! Mostly the computer because I can go back, tear the entire thing apart, and rearrange the bits and pieces if I need to. But I jot down any thoughts and new ideas on paper when I don't have a computer around and keep them all in some sort of file.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I don't outline. I have an idea in my head, and I begin writing scenes. But I do all my writing on the computer, because my handriting is illegible. I might jot down an idea on the back of one of the business cards I always have in my wallet, but that is it.

Any other notes or reminders, I put on the computer.

4. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

I don't outline per se, but since I do all my writing on the computer (my hands don't work fast enough at pencil and paper to keep up with my head), when I do need to do a bit of outlining toward the end of a story, I do that on the computer as well. Then I can simply delete each part of the outline as I write it, and know how much left I have to do.

5. Scribe Rewan

Scribe Rewan New Member

Same as Cogito and Tehuti88, I work from my head. But I do everything on a computer, partly because at least on a computer I can vaguely keep up with the speed I'm thinking, so I dont have to worry about forgetting the end of a sentence before I get to it!

6. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

I use a computer for outlining and writing. I get more done because it doesn't hurt my hands.

7. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I use both - primarily because I get flashes of inspiration when I'm sitting at the back of a bus or some other such place - I don't have a lap top or anything, and my desk is littered with hastily scribbled notes on the back of shopping dockets. :)

I don't write outlines because my stories are often in a constant state of metamorphosis. :p
    Generally, I'll write the scenes that are at the forefront of my mind, then use the computer to connect the dots and edit.

8. Milady

Milady Active Member

I see I'm not the only one who gets the dreaded writer's cramp!

Like most of the others, I prefer to write everything, even outlines and notes, on the computer.

9. Nucky

Nucky New Member

I write on paper first because it is easier for me. It is better because I like to touch my ideas and have the graphite smudges on my fingers. I also like to doodle while I write and for that reason, I prefer pencil and paper to the keyboard.

Also, it bothers me to have flat ands.
    It makes no sense, but to me it does.

After I finish writing, I type my story on the 'puter.
    I still don't like flat ands.

10. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Always on paper for me, I just hate having random files dotted around i'll probs end up not even looking at. Where as if it is written down, I can't help but look back at them, as I take a notepad everywhere I go and take a bag with me.

11. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I do both.

If i'm writing at school then I usually use pencil and paper, but if i'm at home then i'll usually use my laptop.

12. Trollhammaren

Trollhammaren New Member

Both. I like writing things outside when inspiration isn't as 'forced' as it is on the computer, but with a computer it's far easier.

13. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Everything is by hand and then worked out on the computer...the first chapter or so, is written by hand too..I am just more creative that why...and yes, my hand kills me, but I work through it as best I can...:)

14. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

I don't need to do an outline most of the time, and I always write on the computer - it's less exhausting, can be easily edited and I can somewhat keep up with my thought as I type.

15. Writergrrl

Writergrrl New Member

I actually started on an outline today for the first time. I'm writing it out now, but will probably end up putting it on the computer at some point.

16. I find a whiteboard useful. I can map out plot details, make flow charts of events, jot down notes and prompts and those hasty morning lines.

17. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

I do everything with pen and paper. I only use the computer to transcribe, edit and revise.

18. garza33

garza33 Active Member

I've never used outlines. That's time wasted that should be spent writing. When I write a piece I start at the beginning and write until I get to the end.

In the old days I used pencil and notebook in the field then transferred it to paper with typewriter. Today I do all my writing on a computer. I use Notepad if I'm on a Windows machine or Vi if I'm on a Linux machine. For formatting, spell check, word count, and such, I copy the text into Atlantis if I'm in Windows or Open Office in Linux. The only Microsoft programmes I use regularly are Notepad and Freecell. I have Wordpad but rarely use it. I tried Windows Office, didn't like it, and dumped the whole thing.

I make sure to have a pocket notebook, two ball point pens, and a mechanical pencil in my shirt pocket at all times. You never know.

19. all_my_hues

all_my_hues New Member

A whiteboard! I never thought of that.
    I personally love the act of writing, and I'll usually jot down story ideas in my journal, and over time add more detail to them. When I'm actually ready to start on a story, I outline on paper, but type the story itself on a computer.

If I'm bored in class (;] ), however, I jot down plots and notes and dialogue in my notebook.

20. Scribe Rewan

Scribe Rewan New Member

A white board sounds useful.... My mum didn't like the one time i tried outlining- 30 or so post it notes with plot points coverign my wall....

21. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

Do you prefer to write on paper or type? Personally, I feel like typing allows me to covey my ideas at a faster pace.

22. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Since I don't have a laptop, sometimes when I am places, like waiting for my daughter to finish her ballet classes, I will write in a spiral notebook, but overall I do the vast bulk of my writing via wordprocessing.

I am not as effective with screen edits as I am with paper edits, so every story or novel gets at least one full printout and hand edit (red pen and all).

Terry

23. Last_Cyt

Last_Cyt New Member

I tend to use the computer for my writing. But when i cannot use a computer, i just write in whatever notebook i have handy at the time. I carry a notebook with me everywhere.

24. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Me too. I HATE that red pen! It is my "little darling" killer. LOL

25. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

It depends. I love to handwrite and that's how I did everything before I bought my laptop back in January. The only problem was that I was using a million sticky notes. 'Don't forget to bring this back up' 'Mention this here' 'Add this' 'Make sure I do this' I have about 100 sticky notes for one of my stories which was about 175 handwritten pages until I decided that I didn't like the plot and wanted to make some changes (which changed the story so much that a red pen couldn't fix anything).

I still like to handwrite, it's a bit more convenient until I want to add, fix, or change anything. Then I love my computer. I think I can also type faster than I write. Times New Roman is a bit neater than my handwriting too. =D