Handwriting vs. Typing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by gavtheevilgenius, Oct 8, 2006.

?

Method of writing?

1. Pen and paper

7 vote(s)
    8.4%
  2. Typing

34 vote(s)
    41.0%
  3. Depends on what I am writing

9 vote(s)
    10.8%
  4. Other?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Both (depending on convenience, etc)

33 vote(s)
    39.8%
  1. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

prefer the paper, i think mainly because my computer has a problem at the moment but ive always felt i write better on paper because i never finish a story on the computer. too many distractions.

2. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

I prefer to write at least the first draft on paper. I think I write better when I have time between a thought, and it's expression on paper.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

My handwriting is unreadable, even by me. Computer it is!

4. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Typing dramatically increases the chances of my work getting submitted. So I vote computer.

5. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I really prefer writing on paper. I think more gets done when I'm doing it by hand. When it's on the computer, I can work on but then it disappears. If I have a book or a binder, there is something I can see and touch. It also makes it easier to write anywhere. Sure, there is always a laptop, but a journal or spiral notebook is even more mobile, not to mention lighter.

Sure, I don't work as fast, but I think that makes the writing that much better because the ideas simmer in your head longer. Other than fixing errors, there isn't necessarily as much revising. Plus, you can edit and revise as you type it up.

6. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I type faster than I write. Plus, my hand doesn't get tired after a while. So, computer.

7. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

I'm unable to do the raw creative work on a word processor. I've tried, it just doesn't work.

Composition book and pen for me.

8. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Computer. I revise my work so many times, I would get cramp in my hand if I did it on paper.

9. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

I can't express myself fast enough on a paper, thus I get bored writing on paper. Plus, I might lose it int he kind of room I live in. :p So all hands to the computer.

10. Kalaith

Kalaith New Member

My handwriting is pretty poor (okay replace pretty poor with terrible), I can type much faster on the PC..

I still do all my writing by hand, the PC I find to distracting, easy access to the internet and all the other little things I have on it, it can be a few hours later before I realise Ive distracted myself.

11. clarethere

clarethere New Member

I can't do without either of them. I have to type up my writing, doing it by hand would hurt far too much, but when I'm thinking up ideas and doing notes it has to be done on paper, with a blue Bic biro too. It's pretentious but doing the notes by hand helps me think so much better - otherwise I just stare at the screen.

12. Gladiatus

Gladiatus New Member

My handwriting is AWFUL, i mean realllllllllllly bad! Therefore PC :p

13. Jade

Jade Active Member

Computer. I find it to hard to fit in all my additions and make legible edits.

Plus I like being able to do a word count and keep myself on target. :p

14. penhobby

penhobby New Member

I'm with you all the way on this. Computer for me too.
    Hmm I wonder if I could even survive without my lap top for a day?

15. CobaltLion

CobaltLion New Member

I used to do a large portion of my writing in a notebook, but after losing my third one (and most of a chapter in one of them) I switched to doing using computers. I can edit a bit faster with the flagging systems used in Word as well.

16. ZionsRodeVos

ZionsRodeVos New Member

I do all my writing on the computer. For me it just seems faster and then anytime I want to do a word count, spell check, and/or grammar check it is already in the computer. I would have too many crossed out or erased words and rewrites if I did my stories on paper.

17. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

Computer. My hands are too slow to keep up with my head, a backspace key is much faster than an eraser, and when you regularly write stories over a hundred chapters long, it's just a lot more prudent that way. :redface: Probably saves money too. And trees.

I'd like to write on paper, but it's just too tedious. Not to mention that, since I post my writing to the Web, I'd just have to type it up later anyway!

18. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

I have to type mine up too, and when I do my daily typing is when the first "clean-up" happens.

19. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i do both and was disappointed to see you didn't have that option for your poll, as i suspect i'm not the only one who has no preference...

20. alias

alias New Member

My hand writing is elaborate and I take much pride in that. I don't want to ruin it by having to keep up with my head.

21. ParanormalWriter

ParanormalWriter New Member

I like the feel of a pen in my hand, but the merits of a computer have to win out. I can't get things down fast enough with pen and paper. Also harder to go back and make changes on paper, since space is limited. Also, when writing on a pad, I'm fully aware that I'm going to have to come back and redo all of this on a computer at some point. That's just too much time lost that I could be using to write something new.

22. Pithe

Pithe New Member

I can get it down faster typing, but on the computer there's too much temptation to go back and change things right away, which is a huge problem for me. If I'm writing on paper it's easier for me to just keep going and not erase things, so I actually go faster.

23. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

Before I got used to computers (yes, lol, there was a time), I used to jot everything down into notebooks. I have notebooks upon notebooks of my writing, but then I got used to the concept of a computer and Microsoft Word, and ever since then that's what I've used. Every once and a while when I'm feeling fried by my computer screen, I'll break away with a notebook and a pen and go to another room, and just write down that way. But, for me, it's as if what I write on paper, never seems to flow as nicely as what ends up on my screen.

24. Sugar and Salt

Sugar and Salt New Member

Computer. I get cramps in my hands way too easily, and I can't even read my own handwriting. :rolleyes: So I'm sorta limited to my good 'ol PC.

When I was younger, however, I always used to write in a notebook. Back then I could read my own writing. I still do sometimes; but mainly on long, long car trips and when I have no PC available.

25. Member 5848

Member 5848 Guest

I'd rather write, my handwriting probibly is better on this font anyway! I don't really care if I have to copy it on the computer as long as I always start and finish my story on paper.