Handwriting vs. Typing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by gavtheevilgenius, Oct 8, 2006.

?

Method of writing?

1. Pen and paper

7 vote(s)
    8.4%
  2. Typing

34 vote(s)
    41.0%
  3. Depends on what I am writing

9 vote(s)
    10.8%
  4. Other?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Both (depending on convenience, etc)

33 vote(s)
    39.8%
  1. LoaDyron

LoaDyron Contributor Contributor

PC of course.:supertongue: Unless I had of a sudden an idea for a specific scene on the story, then I use my cellphone notes.

Cave Troll likes this.
  2. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

My handwriting can't keep up with my thoughts when I'm writing, so usually computer. ETA: Except for song lyrics, poetry, or journaling. Those are usually by hand.

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    For general writing I use a computer.
    For notes something that looks like
    handwriting, though I know no one
    else can decipher my notes. They are
    like some mashup of mystery code
    to keep the masses from being able
    to understand the behind the scenes
    frame work. :)

4. Intangible Girl

Intangible Girl Senior Member

I used to write exclusively by typing. My thoughts flowed directly from my brain to my hands, or so it seemed. As I got older and dropped some of my more romantic notions about writing (I can only write when hit by the beautiful blue bolt of pure Inspiration!!) I relaxed my stance. But it was the carpal tunnel that made me switch to voice-to-text and do more of my notes on paper.

Changing to writing with my voice was HARD. I'm not much of a talker, so it felt really unnatural to express my ideas that way. I'm still no faster using my voice than I would be typing. (I think). But my wrists thank me daily. :)

5. AmsterdamAssassin

AmsterdamAssassin Active Member

I prefer the tactile experience of typing on manual typewriters for drafting stories/scenes, then I copy the typewritten pages on my computer and edit them while I do so.

[​IMG]

Intangible Girl and J.T. Woody like this.
  6. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

extra points for the tabby

7. Stammis

Stammis Banned

I've found that writing on paper helps me brainstorm and is especially useful at the drafting stage. However, writing on paper strains my hand, especially my thumb (probably because I'm holding the pen too tightly) but it's not a problem when I write in cursive. What is a problem is that I cannot read what I've written...

I want to study different styles so that I can learn from them but I'm not sure where to begin. Are there any resources I can use? My writing doesn't have to be pretty, it's not calligraphy I'm after, but a style that allows me to write without lifting the pen and I can read it.

Any suggestions?

8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I don’t have an answer to your question, but I did want to mention that using a fountain pen can help with hand strain because you don’t have to put any pressure on the paper when you write.

9. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Teacher: "You never learned cursive?"

Bart Simpson: "Well, I know hell, damn, and son-of-a...."

10. Stammis

Stammis Banned

That might be an idea, I'll try it! Thanks.

11. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I hate long hand... takes me three tries to write each sentence, so too many crossouts.

Shenanigator likes this.
  12. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

My cursive is illegible. I mean, it could be legible if I took the time, but then by the time I get the first thought on paper, I'm on thought 4,727 with little to no indications on page to mark the cognitive leapfrogging in between.

Shenanigator likes this.
  13. Rancid_Old_Git

Rancid_Old_Git New Member

A fountain pen is nice, I use one quite often, I particularly like the Lamy ones with a triangle shaped body, very comfortable and easy.
    For notes though I use a mechanical pencil. A decent one - anything from £5 to whatever you want to spend - is just as nice as a fountain pen and you can rub out your mistakes.

Cave Troll likes this.
  14. RobinLC

RobinLC Active Member

This! I love my fountain pens. Use a fine nib so it's easy to read.

Steerpike likes this.
  15. Hublocker

Hublocker Active Member

I have a friend who does. Then when he transcribes with a keyboard, he edits as he goes. He has a huge volume of writing done and one self published book of stories and another on the way, plays, novels, you name it.

Steerpike likes this.
  16. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

I just ordered myself a nice, refillable leather journal and a pack of fountain pens. I've been struggling with writers block and I love to write manually so I'm hoping having nice supplies to do it will help.
    Have you tried just using your own regular writing, but linking some letters so it flows more smoothly? I find when I am writing fast I tend to link certain letters- "L"s with whatever letter comes after, same with "d" and "g" and "y". And my final "s"s in words tend to look like the cursive "s".
    If you really break down cursive, you just might find that some of the letters actually come naturally to you. I'm no expert, but I suspect it was designed that way- not to obstruct the writing process, but to smooth it. Find which letters you like best and incorporate them into your usual letters in a mash-up that works best for you.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Shenanigator and Stammis like this.
  17. RobinLC

RobinLC Active Member

I agree. My cursive writing tends to be a mix of print and cursive. I tend to make the first letter printed and the following letters in cursive. I'd give you an example but apparently it won't upload an image.

18. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I like writing with pen and paper because it helps me work through my thoughts as I write (i.e. crossing things out, annotating, sticky noting, etc.). Plus, I can write where ever I am and not have to rely on an electronic device that could die as I'm writing, lose my work (its happened before with a research paper I was working on... computer crashed), get stolen, freeze, or slow (my current computer is now slowing to the point where I'm super annoyed).

On the other hand (lol), I write so much my hand cramps and my knuckles ache. I am FORCED to typing because my hand hurts so much just holding a writing utensil. I think I unconsciously grip the utensil tighter when i'm so focused, and have to consciously force myself to loosen my grip.... which pulls me out of my thought process.
    Another thing I hate is having to type up what I've already handwritten. I lose interest. Its like (in my mind) I've already finished it... so there is no reason to focus on it anymore. It becomes so tedious just typing it up that I've actually scrapped finished stories just so I wouldn't have to type them up. I've lost notebooks with finished stories in them because its "no longer important." ...... like now, I'm trying to find a collection of 3 completed notebooks and its killing me that i cant find them. I've even called my mother and asked her to look in boxes in the attic for me!

Tea@3 likes this.
  19. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

How do you feel about writing on a screen?

Personally I used to date it so, so much but I’ve grown a little more used to it. When it comes to reading I HATE screens!

The convenience of writing in a screen has draw backs. If I use pen and paper I tend to write more and don’t get caught up in spur if the moment ‘editing’. Plus, when I’m writing I like to doodle little maps, figures and scenes which makes the writing feel more alive.

What positives and negatives have you found in each medium?

jannert likes this.
  20. Dr. Jerry

Dr. Jerry New Member

For me speed and neatness would be the main difference between the two. I do much more typing than long hand and can type faster. If I try to write too quickly with a pen, which I usually do, then it comes out messy but I have never had great penmanship to begin with.

My hand, fingers, and wrist would also get sore if I wrote with a pen for too long whereas I could type for hours without becoming uncomfortable. With practice and repetition writing long hand that might go away.

It also seems more convenient for me to keep my writing stored on a computer where I can save, copy, and edit it with ease. Unfortunately no doodling though.

jannert and badgerjelly like this.
  21. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

I’ve actually tried to combine doodles and writing on my iPad. It is possible on Procreate, but mu battery doesn’t last long on that program AND I’ve never tried to transfer text from Procreate file to basic word-based programs ... the difference would then be portability, a simple exercise book is much lighter than a tablet+protective cover.

My issue is I cross mediums a lot. I like to write different things (non-fiction included), enjoy sketching and drawing, and love maps, diagrams, charts and tables.

Note: My handwriting is pretty messy too! I do love the sensation of writing with a pen too and the feel and touch if a page. As mu draughtsman abilities improve hopefully my writing will too :)

22. RobinLC

RobinLC Active Member

My problem is that the internet is right there with all my social media pings going off. So when I really need to focus I take my trusty fine nib fountain pen and paper and find a quiet place to write.

23. MissBadWolf

MissBadWolf Senior Member

I did not read all 31 pages of this thread but I think that now I prefer typing than handwriting because of several reasons. One typing something up is easier to read than my messy handwriting. Two it is easy to edit.

24. LoaDyron

LoaDyron Contributor Contributor

I said both. It's true that I usually don't write pen and paper anymore, but I will try even if it is just yo wrote an idea down. Not because it is outdated that method, mostly nowadays is impossible to live without technology. So of course, as you can imagine, I write on my laptop.

Cave Troll likes this.
  25. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I find handwriting very difficult, even for short things these days. I mean, I mess up writing notes on birthday and Christmas cards, and end up crossing things out because I've formed the letters wrongly, or missed a word. My brain thinks faster than my hand these days.

I was never able to do creative writing by hand, so 'typing' is definitely the medium I use for that. I'm actually pretty fast. I learned touch typing back in high school on manual typewriters, but I was slow (around 40 wpm) because I HATED correcting mistakes. What a palaver that used to be. Now it's a skoosh, with a delete button, copy/paste, etc. When writing my novel I got much faster with the typing, and I'm up to around 75 wpm, which I would have killed for back in high school.

BUT I do scribble notes by hand in notebooks all the time.

I don't carry a portable internet device around with me (no SmartPhone, and an iPad requires WiFi, which isn't available out and about). I do carry a notebook and pen, though, and if I get a story idea or a bit of dialogue comes to me, I can quickly scribble it down. 'Scribble' being the correct word here.

I do think it's scary when I hear talk about how teachers might stop teaching handwriting in schools because everybody uses a 'device' these days. So ...if the device fails, you've had it? You will no longer be able to write? I think that's putting too much faith in the infallibility of technology, to be honest.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Cave Troll likes this.