Handwriting vs. Typing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by gavtheevilgenius, Oct 8, 2006.

?

Method of writing?

1. Pen and paper

7 vote(s)
    8.4%
  2. Typing

34 vote(s)
    41.0%
  3. Depends on what I am writing

9 vote(s)
    10.8%
  4. Other?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Both (depending on convenience, etc)

33 vote(s)
    39.8%
  1. Carpenter_writer

Carpenter_writer New Member

I was for a while, but found the transfer of text tedious. Now I just type it up, but I DO miss the convenience of a pen and paper for editting notes, catching a quick jot, etc.

2. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

I use both, I have a notebok that has lots of beginnings and ideas and first drafts, alonw tih lots of the same thigns in my school notboooks :p but I also use th computer alot, generally my more final drafts and completled stories are on the computer. but I probably use them about equally

3. Eli

Eli New Member

Of course, staring at a PC for hours just gives me a headache.

Also, this is a pretty thinly veiled sales pitch really, I don't know if this board has any rules against advertising but it's not normally a polite or acceptable thing to do, unless it's a specific forum for that purpose.

4. perylousdemon

perylousdemon New Member

It all depends on my mood and my location at the time. In general, I prefer to handwrite my stuff and then type it. That way, if something happens to one copy or the other, I've got an extra one lying around. Even on the computer, I save my writing in three separate spots (hard drive, flash drive, portable hard drive). I'm paranoid. Haha.

5. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

I started writing my novel on paper first before I put it on a computer mainly because I didn't have a computer at the time, but when I did I still went back to paper first. That's the more traditional way, so I think that all of us prefer it here.

6. ConnorMack

ConnorMack New Member

You bet I do! I love writing short stories in notebooks, or notes for bigger stories. It's always neat to flip through a journal froma while ago and see your ideas written down in your own handwriting instead of some fancy font.

7. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful New Member

Typing is definitely time saving. I carry a little black notebook and pen in my purse though. I use it at work, while I'm on break or stuck in a waiting room or, somehow, riding in a car rather than driving it.

8. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

I still use a note book to write down story Ideas, poems, and dreams. The note book is also usefull because I can keep notes on writing as I go.

It helps with continuity, I can write all day then leave notes about where I am. That way the next time I write I do not have to try to read and catch up with where I am. I also like the feel of a notebook as a way of flipping through memories. I enjoy that tactile sense.

9. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

When I am at school. Because they fear us students at school.
    I think my school takes studying to the extreme. My principal is always coming and asking if we are doing homework or asking is that homework. So I write in a notebook much safer.
    But computer has become my main writing source.

10. Last1Left

Last1Left Active Member

Notebooks are the best for outlining. Nothing can beat the flexibility of a blank page and a pen. But for everything else... eh, not so much.

11. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Nelson DeMille does

since he doesn't know how to type....

12. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

Oh yeah I also use a notebook alot because I can't exactly have a computer in school and it's way less obvious that I'm not actually doing schoolwork, I have a whole section in my notebook just for writing :D

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I only use a pen and paper if there is absolutely nothing else available.

You haven't seen my handwriting, or you wouldn't ask. Even I have trouble reading it. Seriously. I look at my grocery list in the store and puzzle over exactly that that scribble was.

14. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I use pen and paper all the time, for a variety of reasons - though, mostly because it was the first method of writing I learned (obviously) and it has become ingrained, or natural, to favour the pen over the keyboard for first thoughts/drafts.

The only thing I need to do is remember to keep the random bits of paper that have things hastily scribbled on it, as I often forget what I've written down (on the back of the bus, on a shopping docket) and accidently throw it away (because I also forget to take notepads with me all the time) :rolleyes:

15. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I bought a caligraphy pen yesterday, and I plan to use it for regular every day writing once I get the hand of it.

16. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

I prefer writing my first drafts longhand, using the transcription to hard-drive as an initial review. I also carry a sturdy, though small, notebook everywhere I go. As for pens, I'm not so bothered what kind they are as long as the ink's black.

17. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

I'd like to write by hand but my hand just can't keep up with my brain. Plus, erasing is just no substitute for backspace. :redface:

I keep meaning to write by hand when the computer isn't available (because I'm not at home or the power is out, whatever), but never really get around to it. It's just too daunting. I suppose if I were to be without the computer for an extended period, I could do it, but until then it's just too tedious (especially considering that I'd still have to type it up afterward).

18. Jack

Jack New Member

I would have to say 80% of my writing is done by electronics (Computers) and the other 20% by hand per day.

I have nice writing in all, but it’s the year 2009. Technology has evolved quite significantly over the years and therefore its easier to type then to write by hand. Plus... Typing is way faster then hand writing. I still write stuff on paper, but not as much as before.

19. BG_Hambone

BG_Hambone New Member

Somewhere beyond happiness and sadness, a place to
    Yes, it is easier, but when you're sitting at a desk with a pen in your hand, crafting your next creation, dont you feel some connection to great storytellers like Shakespeare and (to some extent) Homer, who had to, at one point or another, actually sit down and write their greatest works by hand?
    I do, and I assume it's like a golfer playing the Old Course at St. Andrews (considered the birthplace of golf), you just get a connection to history by doing the same things those immortal names once did.

...or maybe I am just a tad delusional. :D

20. Dcoin

Dcoin New Member

I can't remember the last time I used a pen/pencil to write anything other than a phone number.

21. fantasywriter

fantasywriter New Member

I always write my stories by hand, and I'm sure that a lot of you know how long my stories are . . . They're actually novellas. But yes, I write them all in my notebook and then type them up when they're finished. My parents don't like it when I'm on the computer too much, so that's the only option I really have. I'm sure I'm the only one, though. :(

22. Jack

Jack New Member

I don't think you are the only one... There are many people who are not allowed on/using their computers for long periods of time. I guess it really depends on what you prefer the most (Hand writing or typing). Hand writing would be easier for scratching out unwanted ideas and to see what you've previous wrote, improvements, kind of like a timeline and perhaps other stuff. But on the other hand, typing is quick and great for writing in Microsoft documents (Or any other forms of documents). You can easily check for SPAG, etc. There will always be pros and cons for these types of questions.

23. Aristocrazy

Aristocrazy New Member

if my write by hand you mean type by hand then why yes, I do write by hand

24. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

Not for stories, but sometimes for poetry. It feels more organic that way.

25. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sure, i do it all the time... in fact, probably 80-90% of my work is done first on my requisite pastel lined ampads, with a must-use fat, medium point ballpoint with blue ink... then i refine and revise it as i type it onto the computer...