Happy birthday Tesla!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jazzabel, Jul 10, 2013.

1. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

[MENTION=55095]jmhoffer[/MENTION]: you probably just need a makeover. Tesla was an impeccable dresser and disinterested in women. Two sure ways to get the ladies to fall head over heels. We women are simple creatures, deep down.

[MENTION=19031]minstrel[/MENTION]: Tesla did what he needed to do to get the funding he believed would help him bring the gift of free and clean power to the world. Yes he ended up bs- ing some of his investors, but that was because they would have pulled out if they knew he is working on a non-profit technology. He was cheated and ostracised by Edison and his influential friends, based on financial agendas, so he lived in a bit of a dog-eat-dog world. I am proud of Tesla for having the balls to do what he did, in order to get as far as he did :)

He was extremely capable, and I can't imagine criticising his achievement in any way, just because he didn't do more. His work that related to x-rays, radio and tv was a side thing, his obsession was wireless power, free to the entire planet. He was physiologically tapped into the Earth's electromagnetic field, it seems from his visions and extreme hypersensitivity. As a scientist, I wonder whether he was actually higher evolved mentally, and it's a pity he had nobody to pass his genes to. In his life's work, he prioritised. The techniques eventually utilised by SETI were his night-time hobby, as he monitored the skies for signs of extra terrestrials. A pretty major invention to be used just or fun. Besides, Marconi stole Tesla's ideas and developed them, so the society profited anyway. The telling thing for me is that almost a century later, world governments are still using ideas and technology Tesla conceptualised.

His brain was too big for one man and one lifetime. But he is a treasure of this planet, and I think with pain in my heart, how beautiful this world would be if Tesla's values prevailed over those of his enemies.

2. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

You aren't hanging around the right women then. Find nerdy women. :p

I'm with Jazz on this one. Being unattainable is also universally attractive. I really don't know why.

3. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Superstar scientist!
    Great inspiration too. Happy late birthday!

Apparently Mirko 'CroCop' Filipovic isn't the only cool Croatian out there.

4. Justin Ladobruk

Justin Ladobruk Active Member

Nerdy women don't like climbing mountains and taking Krav Maga lessons.

5. KaTrian

I've met a few. Unfortunately they live on the other side of the pond.

6. jazzabel

[MENTION=53403]KaTrian[/MENTION]: Tesla is Serbian, also he is American through citizenship and he spent most of his adult life in New York. Sadly, Croatians are trying to claim him, because of their new state. But Tesla was born in Serbian Krajina part of Austro-hungarian empire. He was a son of a Serbian orthodox priest. If he ever actually lived in the Croatian state, it would've been during WWII, and he'd probably die in a concentration camp along with the rest of Teslas. After Croatians committed that genocide, there wasn't a single Tesla left.

Sorry to be a downer, but it would have been important to him, as he always emphasised his Serbian background.

7. TerraIncognita

You'd be surprised. Just because someone is super smart doesn't mean they aren't also into sports or being active.

8. Justin Ladobruk

Justin Ladobruk Active Member

You're right. That makes them a lesbian!

I should note that my best friend is a lesbian that I had a crush on years back due to the fact that she is smart and athletic.

FML.

9. KaTrian

Oh, shoot, somehow I remembered he was Serbo-Croatian. Thanks for correcting me!

10. jazzabel

[MENTION=53403]KaTrian[/MENTION]: No problem at all, it's a relatively common misconception. :)

11. KaTrian

This is just horrible though :(

Haha. My brother actually asked me back when I was a teen -- in all seriousness -- if I was gay. A part of me really wanted to eff with him and lie that I was.

12. jazzabel

[MENTION=53403]KaTrian[/MENTION]: I know. But our history is made from such struggles. The Nobel price winning novel "Bridge Over Drina" talks about the period of Ottoman rule. It's one of the most powerful books you can find.

Serbs are a tragic and brave nation. We never accept to be conquered so we pay a huge price every time some empire decides to have a go. But once the empire falls (there've been a few) we get the credit and our land back and it's been like that in the Balkans for a thousand years now. Serbs have some Viking blood, that's what makes us so hard, I think.

13. TerraIncognita

I probably would have... I have a bit of a mischievous streak. :p I come by it honestly. My mom once told someone she owned a pie company because the brand name was the same as our last name. They believed her. She corrected them but oh man it was funny.

Back on topic.. Tesla is one of the greatest geeks who ever lived.

14. KaTrian

As a Finn I can sort of relate to that because Sweden and Russia played ping-pong with Finland for hundreds of years until 1917.

This actually prompted me to read more about Serbia and its history. Thanks :) Bridge Over Drina sounds interesting... maybe I'll use my bookstore discount coupon for that...

[MENTION=18047]TerraIncognita[/MENTION]: Your Mom is awesome :D Maybe I should've, though. Would've put an over-protective big brother at ease.

15. TerraIncognita

Yes she is. lol Haha there is always that. :p

16. jazzabel

[MENTION=53403]KaTrian[/MENTION]: I know! But it's so wonderful to see how you guys managed to resolve it and not go back to the old hostilities. We tried, during Yugoslavia, but world geo-politics weren't kind to us. We're in shit because Balkans are the main passage route between east and west, so it isn't always our neighbours that bother us. Every major empire in the world, since Rome, tried to take over the Balkans. We just make peace/chase away one lot, the next one comes, sometimes from thousands of kilometres away. It's really annoying and it never ends.

Tesla actually invented his massive shield that he hoped could protect entire countries, hoping to protect Serbia from further attempts at conquest.

"Bridge over Drina" is so beautifully written, I really hope you enjoy it :)

17. KaTrian

[MENTION=35110]jazzabel[/MENTION]:
    That is so sad. The crises seem so vast it's difficult to grasp what is and has been going on down there. This film, Shot Through the Heart actually portrays Serbs in a rather unkind, harrowing light. That film really moved me, though, because it pitted two best friends and competitive sharpshooters against each other, one fighting for Army of Republika Srpska, one for Army of the Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
    Anyway, I started reading about this Tesla's "superweapon that would put an end to all war." Intriguing stuff :eek:

18. jazzabel

What happened in the 1990s Balkan war is a continuation of what happened there in the WWII. Even the players are roughly the same.
    There's a decent documentary, it's American, and it tries to more-or less faithfully explore what happened. It's called "Yugoslavia: the avoidable war". You can find it on youtube.

19. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I am assuming that you are serbian and that is why this is so important to you? Tesla should be celebrated for his achievements, not his nationality. And it all happened in U.S anyway;)

20. jazzabel

[MENTION=35652]123456789[/MENTION]: If you read my comment and you still don't understand why, I don't think I can explain better. And seriously, we don't have talk about that at all, it was not a reason why I originally put up the funny YouTube video.

21. Michael O

Michael O Member

Edison was Tesla's bitter rival and his attempt to discredit Tesla, the man who invented the light bulb and lit the night, showed there was something missing in his soul.

Topsy was an African Elephant, a beast of burden who lived in chains and helped build amusements parks in New Jersey. Owners attempted to poison Topsy with cyanide-laced carrots for killing a man who fed him a lit cigar. But the cyanide failed to kill him and in stepped Edison. He would use Topsy to prove how dangerous AC current was. Topsy was led in chains to stand on thick metal electrodes and many thousands of volts of AC current passed through Topsy's body. He stiffened and stood for about ten seconds then collapsed in smoke as blue arcs jumped across his smouldering body. Thousands watched the big event. Edison isn't alone. Damn gruesome, you can watch the video, google Topsy.

International Paper donated thousands of acres in Tennessee for an elephant reserve. Most have been rescued from circuses and they now live as they would in the wild. No visitors are allowed but the site has cameras for those who wish to view. Amazing creatures, gentle giants who live in matriarchal family groups and intelligent in ways we don't understand.

Lawrence Anthony (1950-2012), the "Elephant Whisperer," shared a special connection with them. If you would like to see something truly amazing watch what the elephants do when they react to his death. SETI? Intelligent life is right here with us and we can't even see it. How little we realize and appreciate nature and all that's involved.

Way down south where bananas grow,
    A grasshopper stepped on an elephant's toe.
    The elephant cried,
    "Why don't you pick on someone your own size!"