Hardest Part to Write?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by HellOnEarth, Apr 10, 2007.

1. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

Disco: Why be a member of a site where you are rude towards its members and believe they create useless threads? :)

2. MarcG

MarcG New Member

Dialogue, dialogue, dialogue. I couldn't write a conversation for the life of me.

3. mollyburton

mollyburton New Member

Keiran. Shut up, you're embarrassing yourself.

My big flaw is lack of focus. I tend to drift off topic and fill my pages up with useless things that are irrelevant.

4. Frost

Frost Active Member

Apologies, apologies. So now, instead being arrogant, your hypocritical. Greater of two evils?

Then why on earth would you post in it?

You admit your a dick head, that's good. Now you can clear off, because there is no place for you here.

5. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

yea, i tend to do that all the time, going on and on and on about things that you don't need. then i get bored as i have realised i doesn't sound very good and start a new thing. :p

and please, we need not argue people. if someone i annoying you, ignore them instead of rising to the bait.

Heather

6. dushechka

dushechka New Member

*ahem*

I'll admit, it seemed a few comments were... over the top, but I'm going to assume they were never intended to be that way.

I've noticed in a lot of my writing, it's very dreary and lacks any colour whatsoever. I hate descriptions, so I don't use them, and in doing that, it creates this... senseless ramble on of words that sometimes even I can't understand.

7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Wow things have gone wild around here...

Anyways, back to topic.

Another flaw, or more rather, annoying trend, is that I want everything to be perfect.
    Before I finnish somthing there is a huge chance I'd just scrap it due to the writting not being as good as I hoped. I critise everything to the point of de-motevating myself, and find faults with everything.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Please, folks. I must insist we show respect for one another.

If you think a post is offensive or combative, use the Report Post icon. Responding to it in kind only escalates the situation.

disco_artist, if you think a thread is pointless, then walk away from it. Snide comments are not helpful, and do not belong on this site. Frankly, I see no basis for your original comment:
    but I chose to let it pass without comment. However, you have continued to nudge it along. Consider this a gentle reminder to show your best manners.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Lemex, I can definitely relate to that one. I have had a number of story ideas over the years that sounded good in my head, but when I first started to put them to paper, looked like crap. I think that at least some of them could have been pretty good if I had stuck with them and kept hammering out the dents, but instead I got disgusted and discouraged, and discarded them.

10. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

you remind me of my dad, Cog. :p

11. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

I have to agree with whoever said they have a problem with dialogue. I very rarely use dialogue because I just can't write it. Though, I suppose that's a good excuse to practice it.

12. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

People, can we please post on the subject on hand and stop posting off-topic. This is about flaws in your writing and sharing it with others in this thread, nothing else.

So please keep the arguments out of this, off-topic posts will be deleted from here on in.

13. Montag

Montag New Member

When I want to write, I cant find anything to write about. When I have something to write about, I cant be bothered... :(

Also I get carried away with commas and 'and's so that some sentences end up like half a page long. Its easily fixed when I notice it though.

14. -NM-

-NM- Active Member

What is it for you?

For me it's coming up with names for everything - places, characters, chapters, even the story itself..hate it :mad:

When it comes to character names it's not TOO hard as i just tend to find names with a meaning similar to something about the character, but when it comes to just making things up like place names i find myself either straying into heavy stereotypes or just plain gibberish :-S

15. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

The most difficult part for me is finising what I start before moving on to something else. I often jump back and forth between three or four projects. They get done eventually but it is annoying that I'm constantly jumping in between them.

16. -NM-

-NM- Active Member

Yeah i know what you mean. I've got tons of ideas that i want to get started with, but for the sake of each one i am holding back until i finish each thing individually, otherwise each one will suffer from lack of focus.

17. Cicero

Cicero Banned

Starting.

18. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

i find that staying committed to one single project is irritating. with all those ideas swirling in you head it gets crowded

19. Raffles

Raffles New Member

I love thinking up names with meanings, but usually they only mean something to me.

For instance: I needed a place name (fictional) so because my cats name was Raffles (who just died recently) and because he was named after Sir Stamford Raffles who founded Singpore, I chose 'Stamford'

It's also a co-incidence that he died on my birthday, the day before his own.

20. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Actually, names and places are something I really enjoy coming up with. The only problem is sometimes when I get 'stuck', otherwise there is no stopping to me writing. I just need time and low stress levels.

21. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

For me, it would be writing for long periods of time. I can write fairly well in thirty-minute and sometimes hour-long intervals, but after that, it starts to slip away. I guess that would be because I always edit as I write. That's just what works for me; I've tried to just write it out and edit later, but I can't do it.

22. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

Getting to it. I don't have a problem with the actual writing. Once I'm in the 'groove', I'm sound. After I've written an initial draft (scene/chapter/paragraph), I take a break and come back to review it. It's the preparation that gets to me. I might walk around for a week (or more)with it doing sumersaults in my head. I'll do character sketches and sit looking at the blank paper, visualising the storyboard. Then it comes out with a frenzied burst. I can only work on one project at a time (novel-wise). I've found that keeping at it hones inner discipline, deminishing the lazy git lurking inside me:)

23. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

When I break my brain crafting a beautiful passage, only to discover that it disrupts the pacing, flow, or tone and it has to be cut.

24. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Just like me! :) Really, that's exactly how it goes for me.

25. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

There you go. Great minds...and all that;)