1. Suffering-is-Beauty

Suffering-is-Beauty New Member

Has anyone ever?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Suffering-is-Beauty, Apr 4, 2013.

So just curious as I'm currently dealing with it. Has anyone ever written a book and then published it, whether self or with an agent, only to realise that you really hate your book. I guess what I'm saying is that once it gets into the publics hand you stop thinking its any good even though it's only gotten good reviews.

Mabye I'm being over critical, or mabye I've read it so many times during rewrites and edits that I just hate it. I don't know. People keep asking me how the second book is coming, but i can't seem to finish it. I don't really care about its reviews or any money i made off of it. To me its become an inadequate story and I just can't seem to continue.

2. WhenIt'sDark

WhenIt'sDark New Member

When I was about 12 years old I wrote a book with one of my friends. It ended up getting published by one of those agencies that looks for books written by children. At the time I didn't really realize it but the story is horrible. It makes absolutely no sense and it's extremely unrealistic. But oh well... it was fun!

I think you're being too critical of yourself. You can't really compare your story to mine because if you got published your story must have been great. You may not like your book anymore but the point is that you learned from it. Because you may think it is horrible, but you're now able to improve when writing your next book. Writing seems to be something you're passionate about and that's what matters.

3. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

Long ago, I read a quote from a highly regarded author (who's so well known I can't think of his name right now!) who said something to the effect, "Every time you publish a new book you think, 'This is it. This is the time they'll figure out you can't write and your books are sht This is the time they'll figure out what a fake you are. And that feeling never completely goes away."

4. Xatron

Xatron New Member

Stephanie Meyers. I guess she must hate every single thing she has written from her kindergarten essays to any book she got published.