1. MoonWriter67

MoonWriter67 New Member

Has anyone here ever been shot?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by MoonWriter67, Jan 10, 2012.

I know its probably unlikely, but I need to know how it feels (so I can vividly describe the feeling). It's for a piece of writing I'm doing.

2. Anarchist_Apple84

Anarchist_Apple84 New Member

Thankfully no, I haven't. I'm sure if you browsed on google you'd find some experiences though.

This could be a good start, gave it a quick glimpse and it seemed to have some genuine experiences. http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=80164

3. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

My gunshot wound was a simple through and through shot to the leg. No bones or arteries were involved so a chest wound would differ very much. The sensation was like being hit with a hammer on the outside of my leg, (That was the exit wound) I didn't even feel the impact, it was the exit that I felt, small caliber, no big deal. I cleaned, dressed it and finished mowing the yard. I know that's not much help, maybe someone here has survived a large caliber and can fill you in.

2 people like this.
  4. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

I actually did not know I had been hit until after. I took some shot from a shotgun at long range, so I was also lucky. I have seen patients react in a variety of ways, from being in no pain (like I was) to screaming in pain.

5. Anarchist_Apple84

That may be the single most manly thing I've ever heard. Felipe, you're my new hero! :D lol

6. hoggyboy

hoggyboy New Member

:eek:

as if that wouldnt have hurt lol! i wouldve been rolling around crying haha

7. Deleth

Deleth New Member

No I've never been shot and Felipe is awesome.

\I would have been shot but then I took an arrow to the knee

8. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

If the shot is non-fatal, you have permission to shoot me, just the once. Not even joking. I kind of need to know how it feels as well.

While everyone else is all "Woah, he's so manly," I'm thinking, "Holy shit, you got shot while you were mowing the yard?"

Quoted for truth.

9. Anarchist_Apple84

Hah yeah, I didn't miss that I was just joking around. Also, my priorities would be calling the police, I'd just forget the damn lawn!

10. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

It was the biggest freak accident that ever happened to me. Hurricane Rita dropped a huge tree on my storage shed and crushed it. Once we removed the tree and the shop itself, I retrieved the contents that were salvageable and picked up what I could. I then mowed there. I had ammunition stored in there and somehow managed to run over a 22 shell. Now, what are these odds? The blade hit it right on the rim which was necessary to make it fire. It then cleared the deck of the mower and I just happened to step forward into that precise trajectory.

My neighbor was in the backyard and said he heard it all real clear..ppppppppp.POW! "OW! Shit!"

I looked at the outside of my right lower leg as that's where i felt it and saw blood. I went into the house and pulled up my pants leg then saw blood on the inside as well. That's when I realized what happened. My wife was freaking out about the sterility of the bullet that had been laying in the dirt for weeks. I told her the bullet got hot enough to cook off any nasties. She kept ranting for me to go to the hospital but it was a clean through wound, no bones or arteries hit as I said. I stopped the bleeding and told her, "Davy Crockett wouldn't have even stopped splitting wood." for some reason, this pissed her off even more. I dressed it and finished mowing.. with one hand over my crotch.

Sorry it wasn't a more macho story, but it's the truth.

11. Protar

Protar Active Member

See there you had the perfect opportunity to regale us with a tale of ninjas and robot assassins but instead you tell us the truth. Shame on Felipe.

12. hoggyboy

hoggyboy New Member

i dont think saying the truth is a bad thing protar

13. Protar

Protar Active Member

I always forget that people can't hear sarcasm on the web :p. Anyway, to contribute more to this thread than witticisms, no I have not been shot, however I've heard that it's a very dull pain, like an extremely powerful punch.

14. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Felipe may be the only person in history who managed to shoot himself with a lawn mower! Wow!

15. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

I once bumped into my own ass then excused myself to me, but that is another story for another time.

16. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

My friend got grazed by a bullet once. He had entered a nearby wooded area that was apparently private property to obtain some action figures he had left there. He described it to me as a burning sensation through his finger, and it was stinging like holy hell.

To this day I wonder, who the hell would fire actual bullets at a kid? I can understand blank shots to scare the bejeesus out of them (my friend was a highschooler when this happened), but actual bullets? Even if the person wasn't trying to hit them??

Then again, the friend may have been dramatizing the whole thing and the shooter actually was firing blank shots.

Still, I suspect getting a graze from a bullet would leave a burning sensation there for a while.

17. hoggyboy

hoggyboy New Member

holy hell that is ridiculous...cant you sue (ie your friend suing) for crazy stuff like that?

18. Link the Writer

It was a long time ago. The friend simply never went back to the woods again.

19. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Haha, now that I know you went back to mowing right after--I have to know the full story.

Edit: Ignore this; I should have finished reading the thread before I commented.

20. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Thanks for making me spit coffee all over my monitor Felipe.

21. Link the Writer

He's the master of making people laugh! 8D