1. undefined17

undefined17 New Member

Has anyone read one of Sonya Sones' work?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by undefined17, Feb 8, 2010.

If you haven't, here's one piece:

WE SAID WE'D STILL BE FRIENDS, BUT
    Whenever Dylan sees me
    he pretends he doesn't notice
    and he tosses both his arms
    around the nearest pretty girl.

Whenever I see Dylan
    I kneel down to tie my shoelace
    or start searching through my backpack
    like I've lost my favorite pen.

When we can't avoid each other
    Dylan acts so glad to see me--
    only know he calls me Sophie.
    I'm not Sapphire anymore.

I mean, is that really considered poem? It seems like just a draft from a diary. I'm kind of jealous because it has a lot of good reviews. I could write like that, it seems easy. It doesn't have that much detail but it had a lot of good reviews. Teens loved it. I just don't get how it's considered as a POEM. :mad:

2. lavendershy

lavendershy New Member

Poetry does not necessarily have to have rhyme and rhythm. This is free verse, not a conventional poem. I don't think it's the best written, and I think it could have a good bit more description, but that can definitely be considered a poem. I understand your frustration and mild jealousy, but I suggest you borrow Good Poems, an anthology put together by Garrison Keiler, from your local library and read through it. It will help broaden your horizons and your definition of poetry. Poetry, in its most intrinsic form, is merely language that is significantly more intense than prose, that says more in a smaller space.

Cheers,
    lavendershy

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I looked her up and it seems like she writes novels in verse. And it seems like the novels are from the point of view of young teens and are also marketed towards young teens. That may explain why the poems are so mediocre and why they tend to read like diaries. Honestly, I hadn't heard of her until a few minutes ago, so I don't really know what to make of her.