1. trevorD

trevorD Senior Member

Has anyone used fiverr for beta reads?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by trevorD, Apr 27, 2023.

I have nothing to do with the site so don't harsh up on me.

I used one of their beta readers for my manuscript and got a lot of solid feedback for not a lot of money. I guess I looked at it like her comments would be the same criticisms i'd be reading in the feedback sections on Amazon, so I took all of her observations and made minor tweeks here and there to settle them. One or two comments really helped me go back and sort out my ending, which i truly needed. When I was done, I felt way better about my work. I sent it away for round two just to get another set of eyes on it.

These guys are quick, they're cheap, and they're pretty good at what they do. It was relatively pain free overall.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Bear in mind that fiverr is a market place not a service provider so good service from one provider doesn’t mean good service from all ( the same applies to bad service)

perhaps call out the actual editor you used

petra4 likes this.
  3. trevorD

trevorD Senior Member

True, however, I don't think the one woman is there anymore. I'll let you know how the second guy does. For those that have no other options to turn to, it's a pretty solid resource to explore. All the beta readers have reviews from users and you can kick the tires first by exchanging DMs with the candidates before you engage with them in a transaction. I selected a guy the second time around that was a bit younger because I wanted someone in my expected demographic. Per other users, he had a reputation for tough love, which was what I was looking for. To each his own, but I thought this might help others entering the editing stage of their first manuscript.

4. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I have used Fiverr twice for the same project. One was more detailed than the other but both people i used gave great feedback and i was able to go back to targeted areas of my WIP to revise.

I think i will use the detailed one for my next project because she pointed out specific chapters (page numbers) whereas the other just gave a broad review ("in chapter 3....")

5. Theren

Theren New Member

I've never liked the idea of paid betas myself because I always wonder how honest the feedback is actually going to be. However, I understand why people might rely on that, since it can be hard to find betas and/or good crit partners.

Set2Stun likes this.
  6. trevorD

trevorD Senior Member

It is hard and you don't know if your non-paid beta is going to tell you straight up what they thought and whether they'd know what to be on the lookout for. The paid ones aren't perfect either, however. Take these examples of feedback..

Me: Dan Jones was a hardworking father of three who enjoyed video games.
    Beta Feedback: I tend to hate characters that have children.

Me:Martin walked lazily down the dusty road.
    Beta: Nobody walks down a dusty road. It's complete craziness that someone would do that.

Me: He stooped to examine the carcass in the weeds. It was a dead cat.
    Beta: This could put off cat lovers like me.

Me: The sun was going down.
    Beta: There's nothing I hate more than suns that go down.

After around 6 pages of reading comments like these, you're like ok. She needs her prozac dose increased. How much of it is helpful? You pick and choose what you can use.

Last edited: May 8, 2023
  7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

A good rule of thumb with betas whether you are paying h them or not is not to make changes based on the feedback of a single person

if several betas pick up the same thing you may need to look at it

i mentioned on another thread my beta reader who was adamant that I had to change all references to Indians to “ First Nation people” and that I was nasty racist for not already doing so

problem being that the Indians in that book were from India

8. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

It seems pretty obvious that as far as that reader is concerned, anyone who isn't mainlining the kool-aid is a nasty racist.

After looking at fiver, someone like that makes me leary of using the service. If I wanted someone to spew ideology at me, I would turn on the mainstream media.

9. big soft moose

I didn’t actually get that muppet from fiver, personally I don’t pay for betas. If I want to use them I generally either exchange time via the collaboration forum here or I get them from my mailing list ( people who’ve bought other books and signed up to get the newsletter etc)

Most of the time though I skip the beta phase and go straight to a professional editor

I did at one point offer paid beta reading myself but I stopped doing it when I realised what a time sink it was to give good crit … if you charge £100 but it takes ten hours then you are working for less than minimum wage

if I charged what my time is actually worth it wouldn’t be a good deal for authors since they could get an editor for that money

Catrin Lewis and w. bogart like this.
  10. w. bogart

I use the story ninjas as my editors. They edited "Operation Pineapple Express" a book I highly recommend.

11. ShannonH

ShannonH Senior Member Contest Winner 2023

I had a lot of success finding good Beta readers for my first novel on here, Twitter, (specifically a group where you can look for Beta readers) and the Writer's Block group on Discord.

Not saying there's anything wrong with paying for the service, but it's if you're discerning, you can find excellent ones willing to do it because they enjoy it.

12. trevorD

trevorD Senior Member

I wrote this scene where a couple of rural rednecks kidnap my main character and my paid beta got all huffy about me being disrespectful to people from the South. I had several characters from different racial backgrounds and every other comment made it sound like it was a token gesture, I hadn't done enough, every other thing was disrespectful, etc. Again, you take their comments with a grain of salt, but I thought it was funny how she couldn't keep her politics out of it.

Set2Stun and Catrin Lewis like this.
  13. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Not to divert your thread, but last night I read an unsettling crit of my WIP, written by an old friend from high school. Jewish herself, she objected to the "fakeness" of the name I'd given to an Israeli character, saying it couldn't be real because "nobody is called Cohen, it's a job description, not a name." She went into a lot of detail about it. I felt like I'd been shot into an alternate universe. Here I'd named the character after some people of that name whom I actually knew . . . whom I would have thought she knew as well . . . And here she's saying I'm being being ethnically/religiously insensitive, or at least culturally tone-deaf?

It's left me shaken.

Set2Stun likes this.
  14. big soft moose

She’s also full of shit cohen is one of the most common Jewish names. according to the Israeli bureau of statistics it is the most common surname in Israel by a significant margin

number 2 is Levine which also derives from a religious job the levites being the ones who handled the blood which the cohanim were not allowed to touch

I’d suggest not using this person as a beta reader in future

Last edited: May 10, 2023
    Thundair, Catrin Lewis and w. bogart like this.
  15. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

She also told me I shouldn't have another Jewish character call someone a "goy." "That's worse than shit or fuck." To call someone a Gentile? I thought of telling her being rude is part of that character's personality (In the first novel he publicly and snarkily confronts my hero with the rumor that he'd knocked up my heroine, at a time when she was only his (my hero's) employee and not yet his girlfriend). But then I got worried, oh, no, have I created some kind of stereotypical character? And if I said I'd had Jewish friends and associates like this in real life, would she tell me that was the same crap as "Some of my best friends are . . . [fill in the blank]"?

She did me one favor connected with this: I'd had the Israeli's full name as Firstname ben Cohen. On doing more research, I see it should be Firstname Ben-Cohen. Which is a name that definitely exists.

Last edited: May 11, 2023
  16. big soft moose

It is pretty rude, but its also pretty common - in my twenties I dated a Jewish girl for a while, the reason we didn't last was that her parents weren't down with her seeing a goy...a position her father made very clear to me on more than one occasion

i think we can reasonably conclude that your friend is an idiot and ought to be removed from your beta list

Catrin Lewis and Set2Stun like this.
  17. trevorD

trevorD Senior Member

I second that motion.

18. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

I use Fiverr a lot … for book covers, final edit and trailers, and I’m satisfied with the disciplines mentioned, but the beta readers were too general for me. As if they had only skimmed through it and made outlandish suggestions … like making it a series. While I thought they would be looking for holes in my plot. After several tries with different ones, I went to Critique Circle and found a willing exchange. The caveat being you need to discuss your expectations before you commit to the exchange. I spent a good ten hours on one miserable book marking each paragraph with suggestion sans SPAG. His return to me was a paragraph about how I couldn't use past perfect for someone reflecting on their childhood.

Last edited: May 12, 2023
  19. Hunchback

Hunchback New Member

I've never used a Beta reader. When you put it out there to complete strangers, how do you feel about someone stealing your ideas or story? There would be a paper trail of course so not hard to prove it is your material, but if someone took the ideas/premise and published it (not hard for a short story) before you could, the only recourse would be a legal one. How does one really protect themselves against IP theft? Just curious to hear different views.

20. w. bogart

If you are that worried about the issue, then copyright the work before letting people read it. But that might cause problems with traditional publishing. Beta readers are there for the feedback to help you polish your work.
    You think people don't get ideas from exisiting works? Often their idea is simply I could do a better job with the idea or theme. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it for short stories, a novel maybe. But then if I were that concerned I would spend the money and consult a copyright lawyer.

21. big soft moose

Most writers have more ideas than they can cope with as it is… the whole concept of idea theft is something that worries new writers but is in reality a non issue

22. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

In Hebrew is it pronounced Co-heen? I've always thought it was a Jewish name (well, at least since I saw the movie Pi by Aronovsky).