1. soxfan

soxfan New Member

A Cool New Book Idea

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by soxfan, Jul 18, 2010.

I have a great new idea for a new story. It is sort of inspired by a new movie called Inception. Here is what I have so far. Please please PLEASE ctitique and give all the suggestions you can!!!

The Powerful Mind

Characters

Blake: Dark haired (short), muscular, handsome, daring, clever
    Elizabeth (Liz): Tough girl, short dark tied up hair, short
    Ethan: Smart, nerdy, dirty blonde (wavy), tall thin, genius
    Max: A thinker, brown hair (short), muscular,

A group of people discover a new technology that puts them asleep and puts them into a dream state. In their dreams they can literally find out anything they want. The only catch is that the ideas don’t come to them that easy. Each idea they want to know is given to them in their dream in a state that isn’t solved. It is up to them to solve the puzzles and figure out the answers to all the questions in life.
    Of course there are problems with this technology. The longer you stay in this dream state, the better chance of you not waking up. These dreams can kill you. If you stay in the dreams too long, whatever happens in the dreams happen to your real life body. These people will have to choose to risk their lives, or find out life’s mysteries.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

3. mattattack007

mattattack007 New Member

It does sound a lot like the movie Inception, and there's no problem with that. Take this idea and roll with, see how it comes out.

4. soxfan

soxfan New Member

Oh ok. Thanks a bunch! Sorry I didn't look around to much first!

5. Robin O'Nell

Robin O'Nell New Member

I think this idea has great potential, but you need to think through it more before you start writing. I usually have pages on my characters before I even begin the book. All of your characters have been "done before" so if I were you, I'd make them more unique. From your description, Blake seems too perfect, you need character flaws, and lots of them to make your story interesting. In just about every romance novel I've read, there's a character who is exactly like Blake, so put in something else about his character that makes him unique. (although I wouldn't make him reckless and rash, or misunderstood, because those are cliche). As for Ethan, he's the classic nerd character, at least change his appearance so he isn't the typical nerdy book character. I like Max, he sounds pretty original, I think it would be a nice twist if you made him talk a lot, because it contrasts with him being a 'thinker'. For Liz, you could make her a super tough girl, and be good at everything you could find in gym class, but then have her be incredibly not smart. Each of your male characters is clever (Blake), smart/genius (Ethan), or thinker (Max), I think that there are too many incredibly smart people in your idea, it could prove complicating unless you plan on having arguments about who is right among them.
    As for your plot idea, I think it sounds original, but then again I would look around to make sure no one's done it already. Make sure to have your characters develop throughout the book, their personalities and realationships between each other, for example Max and Liz could be brother and sister, but are torn apart by something that happens in the dream state. Consider if the dream state technology is legal or not, because your story doesn't have to mainly take place while dreaming, you could have something else going on like the government chasing them down. How do the characters meet? Who choses what path? What kind of puzzles must they solve? Answer these questions, think up your own, develop your plot and characters, write an outline, and I think you could do really well with this idea.

Best of Luck!

6. MissBelle

MissBelle New Member

I dont follow new movies that come out, so I dont know this movie. ( I hate the smell of pop corn. Like it makes me want to puke. SO I have not been in a movie theater in about 15 years.)

it sounds interesting. It sounds like you have the setting down pretty well. I think you should develop the specific conflicts more. If I were you I would write out a more detailed plot line and then try writing a few pages.

Cant wait to read it. I love the idea.

7. soxfan

soxfan New Member

Thanks for the support! I have started writing the story and finished the opening chapter, which is relatively short, but meaningful. It includes how every person has questions about life and how Blake Price loves thinking about the answers. It also explains how Blake finds an article on how your mind may hold every answer to every question, and we just don't know it. It goes on to explain how it may be possible to find these answers deep within dreams, when your mind is most vulnerable.