1. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Have You Ever Bought a Writing Course?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Andrae Smith, Jan 10, 2023.

Hi, everyone!

I'm looking into online writing classes and was wondering if anyone here has ever bought one. Doesn't matter if they were live or self-paced, 90-minute masterclasses or 9-week courses.

If so, I have a few specific questions to which I'd appreciate your honest answers:

1. What they were and if you personally felt like they were any good.
    2. What were you looking for when you decided to get it? (What were you hoping to work on or get out of a course?)
    3. What made you choose the one(s) you did?
    4. What do you feel you got out of it? (Did it live up to your expectations? Why or why not?)

I'm not looking to endorse any courses. I'm just looking to see what else people have bought and how it went for them. It's been a while since I paid for one, myself (outside of university). :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for any responses!

2. Andrae Smith

I take it, the silence means no. ha ha!

3. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

I have not bought any writing courses, though I did go to university for a few months (I got sick, so couldn't complete it at the time) studying English.

1. English basic level introductory university course. Very good, very informative. Life changing, even. Though my memory often fails me, I still remember some things and still have my course material.

2. I was looking to expand my English skills and become a better writer. And also to meet likeminded people who shared my interest in English.

3. It was the only extensive course in my area.

4. I got some friends, experiences, and knowledge. It certainly lived up to my expectations. Though it was a bit heavy on politics, which I did not care for as I just wanted to master English.

Hope this helps you, Andrae!

Andrae Smith likes this.
  4. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

I did Building Great Sentences and How to Write Best-selling Fiction on Wondrium. I liked them both, but I think some discrimination is necessary, of course.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  5. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Never any courses, but I have bought a lot of books and watched a lot of YouTube videos on the topic.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  6. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Aside from college electives?
    I took a Writers Digest course on how to write a Query Letter.
    • It was over zoom and there were over 100 attendees. I thought the information was good.... But i didnt feel like it was a class. I felt like it had the same effect as just watching a YouTube video or a TedTalk. I didnt know what i was expecting... But i felt like i didnt gain anything writing wise. I feel like CLASSES should have the opportunity for dialogue and the opportunity to apply the skills being taught.

Andrae Smith, Catrin Lewis and Xoic like this.
  7. Andrae Smith

Thank you so much for chiming in! I guess I probably won't be taking the course, but I'm so glad you got what you were looking for! :love: It does help. More than you know!

Madman likes this.
  8. Andrae Smith

OMG I have the Building Great Sentences book. It is one of my all-time faves and has changed my writing forever! I'll have to check out How to Write best-selling Fiction. Thank you SO much!

montecarlo likes this.
  9. Andrae Smith

Thanks so much! Do you follow any particular channels on Youtube?

10. Andrae Smith

Oh! I've heard there classes can be really in formative. I get their magazine and news letter and have been thinking about taking some of there classes. I might be publishing an article with them one of these days.

11. Donnyy

Donnyy New Member

I did not buy any courses, but like many people here, I used free resources on the Internet. The thing is that you cannot say for sure whether the information on the course will be useful or not.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  12. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I was always slightly intrigued by the ads for Neil Gaiman's course but never summoned enough go-get attitude to go and get.

13. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I've done a few online writing courses. I highly recommend checking out Gotham. They are a little pricy, but, for me, it was totally worth the money. There was such a noticeable difference in my writing by the end of it. I went on to get an MFA after the course. Honestly, I don't think I would have gotten into a program and gone onto publishing in some great places if it weren't for the Gotham course. I had such a great instructor. I will say that I googled different instructors and read their stuff to help me decide which course to take.

I also did an online course that was offered by One Story which was pretty fun. And I did another one online with one of my favorite writers, but I can't remember who offered that one. Those two I did after my MFA, but I was excited to take those because of who the instructors were. I think it's a good thing if you admire the work of the teacher. It gives what they're saying a little more weight. I can also get a little starstruck by great writers.

I see these things as an investment in myself. Every writing course I have taken online has been well worth my time and money.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  14. AllisonBlaire

AllisonBlaire New Member

This is interesting. I did a 10 week in person course last year and am now doing another one. I currently need the courses to try and build discipline and confidence. However while I loved the first course, I'm feeling let down by the current one as I don't rust the feedback at all. It's all really positive and it's honestly not all warranted. I mean that about my own writing too, not just the other people's. But I do find it easier to see what is and isn't working about other people's stories than my own. But the feedback from the current teacher is all the same, extremely positive regardless of quality followed by a very simplistic criticism. Then when we workshop, everyone in the class just says nice things and nobody offers any criticism. I'm left sitting there feeling like an asshole, as I have notes for people, that I really think would help but rarely give them as I'm literally the only person ever, who says anything that isn't full on cheerleading. It's frustrating me as constructive criticism is helpful, I want it. I don't trust it when everyone tells me what they liked about my story and says there is nothing bad.

Andrae Smith, Xoic and montecarlo like this.
  15. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

Haven't bought a writing course, but I do have a couple professional editors I work with. The feedback can be bruising to the ego, but it does more than show mistakes.
    They offer suggestions on everything from reader engagement, to plot and character development.

Before buying a course I would suggest getting a couple books. Save the cat writes a novel and the storygrid are both good, and flexible enough that you can build a framework for the story, then pantz within the framework.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  16. Andrae Smith

That's a good point! Thank you

His class on MasterClass is SO good and inspiring! Highly recommend.

Gotham, huh? Wow! I have GOT to check them out! thank you. And congratulations on all of your success. That is so AWESOME.

This is a common issue with so many writing spaces. I find they're either overly critical/super rigid, or they're more like cheerleaders. it's hard to strike a good balance. I'm always wary of spaces where no one says anything bad. It means there's no room to grow.

Thanks everyone for the insight!!! :love:

deadrats likes this.