Have you ever let the fear of controversy stop you from writing?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Link the Writer, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Exactly, which is why I take the "pick your own battles" by heart.

I may or may not write about Omar, but that doesn't mean the basic concept can't exist. I hate to disappoint the mass before I even completed the first chapter of this beautiful guy, but really, I'd do just as well if I had...say...a Russian protagonist that has all the charm and charisma Omar had. I even have his first name: "Vasily". Just gotta find the perfect last name.

Everyone's correct. Don't be afraid to pick your own battles, don't be afraid to write what you say, but I always believe in this and the pick your battles.

As much as I love Omar Baitey, as much as I adore the man, I don't think I want to fight the inevitable ****storm if I got it published.

Basically, all this series boils down to is this: "Some guy not from America has awesome adventures all around the globe."

Omar will still be there, just in the form of Vasily, a Russian.

Again, sorry if I disappointed everyone before I even wrote Chapter One.

If it's of some comfort, I do plan on writing a series set in pre-Civil War America where the main character lives in the Antebellum South on a plantation that has slaves. It's a mystery series.

2. Leah Woods

Leah Woods Active Member

I followed this thread for a while and have to say that I'm disappointed. I was hoping you would write it and prove that a person who doesn't live in country where most people is Muslim can write a Muslim character. Of course you'd have to do a lot of research, but why not try to write it?

Honestly, even if I wrote character that is Muslim, even though huge chunk of population here is Muslim, I'd probably offend someone from other parts of the world. Because we differ in ways of practice. What I'm trying to say is that you could've tried to write few chapters, just to see how his character progresses, because his seems nice :D Just my two cents.

And does he really have to be Russian? There are other nations and countries as well?

3. Controversy is good. It's like my dad tells me, you need to be different if you want to stand out. I wouldn't worry about the Muslim thing. I don't see that getting out of hand, and I wouldn't let it stop me from writing.

4. Allegro Van Kiddo

Allegro Van Kiddo New Member

How strict are the Muslims in your country? Do they dress in western clothes and follow some rules, or are they strict in how they practice the religion. I ask because I've seen both.

I suggest the character be Polish, especially a Gorale, because they're like supermen, extremely bright, and not egotistical.

5. PurpleCandle

PurpleCandle New Member

You have already had 3 or 4 people in this thread sincerely say they want to read your idea. Such a thing is a rarity. You haven't got it down on paper and people here (who are some of the most picky writers I have ever seen) want you to write your story. Such a pity to give it up now.

6. Link the Writer

Well, I'll give it a shot. I'll write about Omar Baitey and see where it gets me. :) He is an awesome dude.

Tell you what, I'll write a chapter and you can read it and tell me what you think. I just got scared at the whole "writers going into hiding because of assassins".

I should probably have a little more faith than I do. :D

I...I won't give up on this. It's foolish to say otherwise. Omar WILL come out and if I must fight myself, then so be it.

Omar is no different than any other character I've created.

It's ironic that I'd say I'd give up when I have a quote from Cogito himself saying to grip my gonads and do it.

It seems the worst enemy is myself. I must fight it. I will win.

7. Leah Woods

Leah Woods Active Member

Well, again it depends from person to person. Some people are very strict, while others just say they are Muslims and go and drink for Ramadan. But no one eats pork :D That's just a huge no no.

For example there are women that are covered, but with their faces and hand visible. Younger women are not expected to be covered, unless they're attending religious school. Woman here were rarely expected to wear burka even when Islam was first introduced here.

Most people don't actually pray five times a day, because it's difficult to take all those breaks from work. Most men attend jumu'ah every Friday, though some do that just to escape from work.

To be honest, it's not that strict, but tradition that comes with Islam is deeply woven inside most of people.

The main difference is that sharia law was never introduced here. Ever since Ottoman empire was here and brought Islam with it, it developed in it's some own form. I heard somewhere that others don't really find us to be real Muslims, but you can't deny people don't believe. They may not act as others, but belief is very strong. We have days off from school during important celebrations and have classes in school (you actually choose if you want to study Islam, Christianity or just history of religions).

And the most interesting fact is that there are mosques in every little village even though there's no schools. So people could pray.

And in the end I'm not sure if I answered your question. :D

Oh and Polish character would be interesting, that's be lovely.

8. Leah Woods

Leah Woods Active Member

I saw the response just now :D I'd love to read it! That'd be great honour.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you to write that chapter and defeat every one of your doubts :D

9. cmcpress

cmcpress New Member

One thing that i think should be pointed out. Muslim or not this character is a "person". Not all Muslims adhere to or agree with every word of the talmud any more than any Christian does the Bible (even the thumpiest ones). Many younger muslims might hold views that would brand them as "Kafeer" in the eyes of a traditionalist - for example i know Muslims who drink and eat bacon, and can reconcile that with their beliefs.

Don't underestimate the human aspect - and also the pressures they may be under in their own community.

One recent film which deals with the subject of Islam (and terrorism) is 4 lions by Chris morris - although a satire it precisely nails that distinction - by showing the contradictions in what the terrorists think Islam and Jihad represents (and exposes their ignorance) by contrasting them with their more peaceful, educated and observant brother.

10. Leah Woods

Leah Woods Active Member

Wholeheartedly agree with you :D And that movie sounds familiar, for some reason.

11. Link the Writer

I think I'm half-way through chapter one. It's quite a short chapter though. Thought I'd speed up how the adventure started.

I feel so much better. Omar is like a dear friend to me. I shouldn't cast him aside.

*hugs Omar*

12. Leah Woods

Leah Woods Active Member

Congrats :D

13. Allegro Van Kiddo

I'm part Polish, so I was just kidding (not really).

Anyway, I thought Bosnia might be as you described. I had a friend who lived in Turkey and he described it much the same, only they have no other group there to class with.

If Link still wanted to do create a Muslim character, then maybe he could be Bosnian and less than strict. It would certainly be a deep character to go back and forth with traditional values, verus activities like drinking. Also, if he's a bit of an Indiana Jones, then how does he deal preserving other cultures and so on.

14. Link the Writer

Interestingly enough, I was inspired by Indiana Jones to do this. :)

15. Allegro Van Kiddo

Ah ha!

I'm not sure what that means...

I mentioned the character of Indy because it would be cool to see a foreign version of the character. I'd like to see a character that's as odd and mysterious as the subjects he pursued.

I love Asian philosophy and would enjoy seeing a Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc adventure character. A guy who has one foot in the west and one in the east and is completely down with being American. I say it because Asians seem like the most ignored American population, and they have a great cultural background too.

16. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

And even in Iran, women are only expected to wear a schal over their hair. The schal has grown smaller and smaller over the years, and for many women it's only a token symbol which doesn't actually hide anything.

Those who'd like to learn more about Islamic culture from an inside perspective could try reading some of Marjane Satrapi's books. She's an Iranian-French comic book writer who's been drawing and criticising some of the religious hypocrisy in Iranian society. It's interesting to note that she's stayed clear of criticising the religious leaders or Islam itself, though.

17. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

I hope you write it and I think it's possible. Anything is really possible with writers. :D

18. JeffS65

JeffS65 New Member

Write it. If it come from within you. It's worth exploring. Be respectful as I'm guessing you would but otherwise, let 'er rip.

19. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Write it, writing about someone who happens to be a muslim is not really controversial.

20. Link the Writer

I meant that I was watching Indiana Jones and thought "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if I wrote a series about an action/adventure hero who was different from Indy?"

That's how this idea came about.

21. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

If the fear of controversy still lingers in the back of your mind, and you need something to fight it off with, then consider this:

"This book will only cause a controversy if it gets widely published and said easily offended group gets to read it. It's a hypothetical luxury-problem!"

22. Link the Writer

I see.

And really, even if someone did create a huff, there's nothing I should worry about. (though the assassins coming after me kinda made my hair raise on end.) Unless I wrote a book dissing Islam (which this clearly isn't), there's nothing to fear.

Well, I don't mean to self-advertise, but I put my thing up. It's in "General Fiction" in the review section.

EDIT: What's a luxury problem??

23. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

Oh, maybe that's just a danish term. It's the kind of problems that come from success and wealth. Not having room for your golf bag in your Ferrari is a luxury-problem. :)

24. Allegro Van Kiddo

Yeah, I know. I was joking at may "Ah ha" because we were think alike and, Ah Ha!

I'd enjoy some more Indy stories, that are serious.

25. sereda008

sereda008 Member

Just do not write anything offensive (and nothing about buddah and such) you should be fine. I believe that this is supposed to be a free world.