1. TheMyst7885

TheMyst7885 Active Member

Having trouble figuring out a bully victim setting.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by TheMyst7885, Aug 29, 2019.

My MC had lived off in the peaceful country side in Brazil with his mother until one day she is murdered by some mysterious being then he ends up sent to a foster school or private or boarding school which is sent under his rich grandfathers name. The MC is sent to a private school, where he gets bullied and then his powers start to show. Which in turn draws the grandfathers attention.

To make the school bullying story more interesting, where would be a good location for the MC to be sent to school? Private school in Rio de Janeiro? Private school in the US like NYC Arizona or Idaho?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  2. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I would pick a setting you know well so you can really bring it to life and include the feel of it accurately. Sure, anyone can do a ton of research, but I think nothing beats knowing the real thing.

3. TheMyst7885

I mean I know more about places in the US but if this is set in an alternate timeline or in the future I could just make up a location in Brazil with a rich international school that pretty much mimics a rich US prep school?

4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Much of Brazil is pretty poor. I've spent a good amount of time in different places there. I have to say I can't imagine a rich prep school there. I think you would have to update readers as to what has happened to change Brazil for a rich prep school to open up there. I don't think I would send a kid to a school in Brazil. I would be curious to see how you help Brazil evolve to the level where this would be possible since you say it's in the future. A lot of poor countries have schools called The American School that can be very costly. Those schools are usually attended by the children of diplomats and such.

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

while much of brazil is extremely poor, there is also wealth in the hands of the rich - there are a number of private schools for the children of those rich

for example http://colband.net.br/ - i don't speak Portuguese but you can see from the pictures that you are not talking about grinding poverty

6. TheMyst7885

The MCs grandfather is a very rich and wealthy Brazilian that helped shape things up nicely but has criminal ties. The son was living somewhere peacefully with his mother in some country side of Brazil or the US. So after she's gone I don't know if it would make more sense for the son to be sent to a school in the US or that American school in Brazil you mentioned since his grandfather is loaded. The bullying situation would be kinda like the bully Flash that Peter Parker meets at school only much worse lol. And the kids are all rich kids with wealthy parents.

I have other potential ways for the story to go, maybe Brazilian is just too complex and with poverty and violence might make it hard for some rich prep school with a bully setting? I could make the MC Chinese or a half Chinese and have it that he was sent to a rich private, prep or public school in China or US where he was confronted with the bully.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019