Hell over high water

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Gloom Kitty, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Reverend Pem grasped the American's out stretched hand. "Hello, I'm Mordecai Pem." As he was about to sit, Pem straightened up again. "Oh Ms. Bequem, I'm so glad you decided to rejoin us."

2. Darkthought

Darkthought Active Member

Leon reached out and gave the reverend a healthy handshake. "Um...Brown. Arlington Brown. Good to meet ya Father."

Leon quickly stood as a lady, and older one, came to the table to take a seat. "Evenin' ma'am," he said politely, waiting for her to take a seat before he sat back down himself.

3. Cobra517

Cobra517 New Member

"Ms. Bequem!" Mouse said, barely able to contain the excitement in her voice. She hugged the older woman as she sat down at the table once more. Mouse was sure that more than a few of the other guests were staring at her as she blatantly showed affection for the woman, but she didn't care. They could think what they wanted of her.

4. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

The Reverend shook his head. "I'm not a priest. I'm a reverend. I can get married, have children and do all sorts of non-priestly things. By the way, call me Modercai."

5. Bick

Bick New Member

Elizabeth hugged her as she sat down, and she smiled, bending low, and hugging her back. She could feel herself calming down all ready.

She looked at the young Mister Brown. He quite polite.

"Well, aren't you polite." she said, trying to ignore the embarrassed feeling that corrupted her, "What brings you here Mister Brown?"

She grabbed her wineglass that still remained in it's place, and put the rest of it down in one swallow.

6. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Noticing the American sit down, Cain extended his hand. "The name's Cain Shields. Pleasure to meet you."

7. Darkthought

Darkthought Active Member

"Fair enough Mister Mordecai," said Leon as he laid back in his chair.

"Well, aren't you polite," Ms. Bequem said. "What brings you here Mister Brown?"

Leon shook his head. He still was not used to being called Brown. It seemed to catch him off guard a little every time someone said it. "Well ma'am. I just...uh..came across the invitation. Just like the rest of ya I suspect."

Cain extended his hand. "The name's Cain Shields. Pleasure to meet you."

Leon grasped his hand firmly. "How do ya do partner?"

8. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Pem chuckled. "Please", he said," ... just Mordecai."

9. Cobra517

Cobra517 New Member

Mouse looked over at the reverend, wanting to speak to him, but he was talking to one of the other men. She looked down at her napkin again.

She wanted to ask Reverend Pem if she was really going to Hell because she'd never gone to church before. That's what her dad had always said. She could still hear his voice.

You think you're going to Heaven? After what the preachers in town say? That people like you and me, people that don't go to church, are already damned to Hell?

Mouse didn't want to believe that, didn't want to believe God would turn His back on anyone just because they didn't attend church. She looked back at the reverend again. His conversation with the other man had ended and now Reverend Pem sat quietly, looking as if he were listening to his own thoughts instead of the conversation of the table.

"Excuse me, reverend?" Mouse asked shyly.

He turned his head slightly and gazed at her with kind eyes. "Yes, my child?"

"Do you think that God forgives people even if they don't go to church?"

10. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Pem reached over and patted Mouse's hand. "My child yes, I can honestly say church has very little to do with going to Heaven. Now smile. enjoy that hamburger, and feel free to ask me anything else that's on your mind. So how are you enjoying your first cruise?"

11. Kratos

Kratos New Member

As the others talked, Cain began to feel sick. His vision was blurry and filled with colors, the voices were an incoherent mumble, and he began to gag on his own breath.

"Excuse...me..." muttered Cain as he stumbled out of the dining hall. Leaning over the rail on the side, he retched.

"God..." he moaned, vomiting again. Why did he listen to the little devil? The angel told him not to, and he was too stubborn and stupid to listen. But some part of him wanted more. He had to drink more of that sweet elixir that was alcohol.

He didn't look back at the others; he was ashamed to show his face. Running up the stairs, he turned the corner...and ran straight through a man. Turning around, he saw nothing. But he had definitly seen something! He had ran through the man!

Scared, sick, and ashamed, Cain opened the door to his room, slammed it shut, and retched in the toilet.

12. Cobra517

Cobra517 New Member

"I, well, I'm enjoying it quite nicely. Ms. Bequem, she's taking care of me you know." Mouse said. It wasn't a lie, but still, she felt guilty for concealing what was on her heart. She wanted to tell the reverend the whole truth, wanted to tell him about how she'd run away from home, and wasn't supposed to be here at all.

But his eyes were kind, nonjudgmental, and she decided that perhaps for now it was okay to keep her secret hidden. In time, she thought, she would be able to talk more openly to him.

"Reverend, do you have a family?" She asked.

13. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Pem stared at his wine glass and took a long drink. "Yes, I had one. A wonderful wife and a sweet little girl. The fell ill and ... well they are in a better place now, with the Almighty."

14. Klee

Klee New Member

Clare watched Cain excuse himself and sighed. That man....That man had a problem. She'd seen some of her father's friends make fools of themselves after drinking impossible amounts of alcohol, at least Cain had the good mind to stand and leave before he did anything stupid.

She took a small sip of her own glass of wine and made up her mind to go visit him later.

15. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

"Clare," whispered Pem, "do you think Cain is alright?"

16. Klee

Klee New Member

"In all honesty? No. Maybe later after the alcohol has passed through his system." Clare shook her head a little. "I'll bring him something to eat later and check on him."

17. Cobra517

Cobra517 New Member

"They're with my mom then, I guess." Mouse said, a sad look coming over her face. "She died while giving birth to me. My dad says it was my fault she died."

18. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

"Oh my child, you musn't say that." Pem patted her hand again. "No one can say why the Almighty takes some and leaves others ... but I can say it wasn't your fault. I'm sure she's looking down on you right now happy that you are on this wonerful ship."

19. Kratos

Kratos New Member

After he was finished, Cain wiped his mouth and lay down on his bed. Looking over at the desk next to his bed, he saw an old bible. Grabbing it, he randomly flipped it opened and it landed on Proverbs 20.

30 Those who linger over wine,
    who go to sample bowls of mixed wine.

31 Do not gaze at wine when it is red,
    when it sparkles in the cup,
    when it goes down smoothly!

32 In the end it bites like a snake
    and poisons like a viper.

Cain sighed and threw it on the ground. Everything was reminding him of his problem. "I guess I've lost all chance with Clare now..." he muttered.

20. Cobra517

Cobra517 New Member

"Thank you reverend. Thank you for helping to make me feel better." Mouse was quiet for a moment, then asked, "Do you ever think you'll have another family again?"

21. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

"Oh my child .... who can say what the Almighty has planned for us?" said Reverend as he finished his wine and smiled sadly.

22. Klee

Klee New Member

Clare looked at the American. "Sir, where you the one playing the guitar this afternoon? You should play for us some other time, your song was lovely."

23. Cobra517

Cobra517 New Member

"But you do believe there's a chance, dont you?" She insisted.

The reverend looked as sad as Mouse felt inside, but she needed to know. She needed to know he had hope for his own future. He was a man of God, a man of faith, and how could she herself carry the seeds of hope for a better future in her own heart if he could not?

24. Bick

Bick New Member

She half-listened, half-dazed off as she poked at her Flounder in front of her. These definitely weren't her topics. God... she had abandoned years ago. Family... something she hadn't had for years. She wondered if Elizabeth would become family. She quickly threw the idea from her mind. She'd talk about that later.

"How's that hamburger Elizabeth?" she finally asked.

25. Cobra517

Cobra517 New Member

"Delicious, Ms. Bequem!" Mouse said. Then looking at her new caretaker, she asked, "Do you believe in God?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.