1. Oceanspray 58

Oceanspray 58 New Member

Hello All! New here and to book writing, have a question..

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Oceanspray 58, Jan 24, 2021.

I'm a professional truck driver and I have an active blog in which I post articles here and there. I took an interest in writing a few years back and purchased a program a few years back, but never followed through with it.
    I have finally got serious and made a decision to pursue writing with the goal of becoming an author. I have bought some inexpensive writing courses and in the process of self-teaching myself.

I recently stumbled across a couple of self-publishing online platform promising that one will have a best-seller or at least their book published within 90 days or less following their methods and coaching to the tune of $$$.
    Said that I don't need a writing course. Do some mind mapping, get an outline, write 3 chapters per section etc..

On the other hand, I feel there is so much to learn that I need to start from the basics and work on my grammar, learn how to write well and more before I would even consider writing a book.

I believe and am willing to give one year to just learning as much as I can, practice daily writing, honing my writing skills before I go to writing a book. I am looking to start with non-fiction and try fiction later.

I would greatly appreciate any advice of what would be a better path. Glad to be here as the old saying goes " No Man Is An Island" Thnx and Good Day!

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

top tip don't sign up to those courses... no one can guarantee you'll have a best seller without first seeing the quality of your work... and when they say 'or your money back' they mean breifly being number one in a small category with a free book after they use a bot farm to download a couple of hundred copies

3. Oceanspray 58

Oceanspray 58 New Member

Thank you sir, for the reply and the friendly advice. Yes, I intend to, just needed to hear from more experienced people besides me.
    Once again, thnx.

4. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I'd also suggest entering our short story and flash fiction monthly competitions if you're up for it. No prize except glory and the chance to help you practice writing and developing ideas.