1. Sinora

Sinora New Member

Hello everyone!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sinora, Mar 21, 2007.

Hi!

I'm Siti. I'm a violin teacher and I guess it's understood that I love to write, otherwise I wouldn't be here.:p

I'm from Singapore, and I love word games too.

I write short stories and then chuck them away for molds to grow on :redface: because everytime I finished one, I'd think it sucked.

To date, I've written and posted several fanfictions on a couple of sites and I pity those souls who are unfortunate enough to be snared into reading them!:D

Well... I guess that's me and am looking forward to learning a thing or two about writing from the awesome writers here!

~Siti~

2. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Flattery will get you everywhere. Dig out a couple of your mouldering pieces and give them an airing here, you may be pleasantly surprised. Good luck and welcome to you!

3. Myst

Myst Active Member

Majulah singapura, eh?

I live in the Lion City as well.

4. Sinora

Sinora New Member

Thank you for the welcome, Gannon. Yeah, maybe one day when I have enough courage to stomach the feedback, I'll take out those moldy/mouldy stories and let them see the sun here.:rolleyes: By the way, I write my fanfics using American spelling, although I'm schooled in the British system. (Hence the indecision between mold and mould) Which shall I use on this board?:confused:

Hello Myst. Nice to have a fellow Singaporean here! Anyone else here from the City of Lion?... although I have yet to see a single lion wandering around except those in Mandai Zoo.

5. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

I think British would be most appropriate, but then I am biased!

6. Myst

Myst Active Member

I am not inclined to believe so. I guess we're one of a kind!

Fanfics of what exactly?

7. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Hello there.
    When it comes to spelling I go Canadian. I think its a nice middle ground between American and British spelling.
    Anyways hope you find what you need here, and get a bit more faith in your writing.
    Cheers.

8. Lynx

Lynx New Member

Welcome.

I think British is best for obvious reasons, although I'm sure some American is creeping into my writing every now and then. I'm most ambivalent about the use of s/z in words (such as organisation/organization); even my English teacher messed up on that one a few times.

~Lynx

9. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Welcome to the site.

10. Sinora

Sinora New Member

Hey guys!

Thanks for all the welcome! Iv'e already enjoyed and learned a few things from reading some of the stories here.

Uh...Myst... About the fanfics, I'd rather not say. Mostly fluff and they can get a little embarrassing...So I'd rather not say.

~Siti~

11. Misstikal

Misstikal Banned

Hey there Sinora and welcome to the place where us writers come together and share laughs tears and yer all those other emotions through our beautifully painted words.
    Don't ever doubt what you write for every word ever written down is a master piece and expresses so much.
    Writing comes from the heart and soul no matter what form of writing you do, so never be ashamed of your work nor be afraid to share it and show the world your talents.

12. Sinora

Sinora New Member

Aww... Misstikal, thanks for those words of encouragement. I'm still working up some courage to post something. Someday, I hope.

Oh... and thanks for the welcome! Appreciate it.

~Siti~

13. Misstikal

Misstikal Banned

No probs and you are welcome.
    Look forward to reading some of your work soon

14. ariella

ariella New Member

in a home full of wonderful and loving people I ca
    Hello and welcome to WF
    I apologise for the late welcome, but I do hope you have been enjoying your time here with all of us here at WF and I look forward to seeing you around the board.

Arielle

15. Sinora

Sinora New Member

Thank you for the welcome, ariella. I'm so sorry for this late reply as I haven't been around much lately. Life has a frustrating habit of keeping me away from doing what I like, and that is to be here.

Anyway, thank you again.

~Sinora~

16. ParanormalWriter

ParanormalWriter New Member

Hey, Siti. Don't be discouraged by your old pieces. Every writer thinks what they wrote yesterday sucks. That's why they write more today and plan to keep on writing tomorrow. We're all hoping that eventually we'll create something that sucks a little less. Lol.

P.S. Most of the time, the work you think is really bad, doesn't look as bad to everyone else. It's my theory that writers have a certain prejudice against their own work, because it's theirs. We tend to expect more of ourselves than others expect of us.

17. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

Welcome :)

18. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A belated hello Siti, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

The site has changed quite a bit since you first signed up, so definitely take a fresh tour.

Posting your own work should not be the very first thing you do here. It is really worthwhile to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

19. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Welcome. :)