1. NathanaelWorks

NathanaelWorks New Member

Hello Everyone!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NathanaelWorks, Apr 19, 2011.

Well, I turned 16 today! I asked for a non-fiction book called "Engineering A Compiler" and I'm hoping to open that red gift box on the kitchen table and see it inside. I have to wait till 6:30 though (about 5 more hours).

So. The book is related to computer science, compiler design in fact. It's maybe even one of the most boring areas of programming. Despite the heaps of technical information it might have, I'm still quite excited to see it and jump inside! This book will be my 18th non-fiction, vs my 6 fiction books. Aren't any of you interested in non-fiction? It would be nice to discuss the kind of non-fiction books that you have yourself.

Cheers,
    Ben

2. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Happy birthday!

I like non-fiction, mostly history books but I dip in and out of philosophy books too. I mostly get these out of the library so I can't really remember any of them exactly. :p

3. Frankzilla

Frankzilla New Member

Happy Birthday!

I also am a fan of Non-Fiction, as a history major I read a LOT of it. One of my favorite books of all time is Guns, Germs, and Steel, which is an excellent non-fiction read. I've also read quite a few based on the life of Napoleon. I try to keep a healthy balance of fiction and non-fiction literature, it helps keep things fresh and interesting.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Engineering a Compiler? I'd never heard of this one, and I have quite a few books on compiler design. I'll have to check it out.

I was on a compiler/development tools team for over a decade. I've always been fascinated by languages, both natural and artificial.

5. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Happy Birthday :D

6. NathanaelWorks

Thank you everyone!

@Eunoia
    Philosophy ... ! That's another subject I like. I've been on computer science forums, philosophy forums, and of course, writing forums. I also like math, physics, psychology, history and some economics. Besides my love for learning, I hate (high) school more than anything. What about you?

@Frankzilla
    Yes. I like history too. It just drives me nuts to see other people my age caring so-little about it. That's a problem.

@Cogito
    Interesting! How long have you been programming compilers? I'm completely new to it.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I worked on compilers from the mid 80s to the mid 90s.

8. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I've been lurking on philosophy and history forums. Ah, I'm interested in mostly just the creative/arty/humanities side of things like philosophy and ethics, history, photography, that kind of thing (as well as writing obviously). I'm not really into the science/maths of things, nor computer science, but I know a few people who are so sometimes I have no choice but to listen to them go on about coding etc. :p

9. NathanaelWorks

Ah, I understand that I share a lot of interests here. Cool.