1. JonasDerHeld

JonasDerHeld New Member

Hello from a would-be writer

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JonasDerHeld, Aug 23, 2015.

Hello Everyone,

I'm Jonas. I'm 27 years old and after failing twice to finish my masters in Computer Science I think I'm finally ready to start writing stories instead of source code. I have many things I would like to write about, my only problem is that I don't write. Whenever I try to write something, I feel the strong urge to do something else. I started a blog that has two articles, but I haven't written anything in the last two months.

I hope by getting feedback and interacting with other writers I can overcome my inner resistance and actually become the writer I think I'm supposed to be.

I would like to take the quantity over quality approach to learning. I plan to write something short at least every other day and publish it here for feedback. I read the rules, but I'm still not if that is allowed and if I should start a new thread for every short text or put it all in one thread. It will probably a mixture of fantasy and non-fictional to make the matter even more complicated.

Since I'm German, my English is not perfect. However, I'd prefer to write in English since almost everything I read is English and I've been thinking in English for quite some time. So please forgive my not so perfect grammar and help me improve it.

Now I'm off to reading the great texts here and giving some (hopefully) constructive feedback.

2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Hi Jonas! Welcome to the forum. :) Seeking feedback is definitely a good way to get motivated. If you're indeed planning to post your writing to our Workshop, the requirements for that are:

• You must be registered for 14 days
    • You must make 20 posts forum-wide
    • You must post 2 constructive reviews for each piece of writing you post

You may have already found them in our New Member Quick Start. Here's more info about the workshop: Using the workshop. The basic idea is that you critique (review) two other members' works per one story you post, for example if you want to post two separate excerpts, you have to critique four works in the Workshop. Please start only one thread per excerpt. If you want feedback on multiple excerpts, you have to start separate threads. It is also greatly appreciated if you put effort into your critiques. This way it's also more likely you will receive quality feedback yourself, but what is more, you actually learn to write better the more you critique other people's writing, believe it or not. ;)

Good luck!

-Kat