1. jenna_benna

jenna_benna Member

Hello from Southern California

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jenna_benna, Jan 6, 2013.

Hi there,

I'm Jenna, nice to meet you. :)

I write songs, play them, and sing them (my new album on iTunes, etc.) so I'll definitely be checking out the songwriting section here, because I do very much love a good lyric. The economy of words, the rhythm of the verse, the flow. It speaks to me. I also write short fiction, mainly about the darker things in life but sometimes about the good. Besides a few shorts I'm finishing up I'm also currently working out the details of what looks to be a longer format story but I'm not sure how far I'm going to take that just yet.

It's been a while since I've written more words than a song requires but I've been getting back into the swing of things lately and have a few shorts in the works. There was a time when I was writing like crazy but that time is now a tiny dot in the distance so for all intents and purposes please consider me a beginner. If it takes 25 years to get back up on the horse then by god woman you don't really know how to ride it.

So that's me, I'm here, and from what I can see so far I'm going to like this place. Now if I can keep myself away from it long enough to actually do some writing and not just read about it, well that's a different story altogether, isn't it?

2. AmesWorld

AmesWorld New Member

Welcome! I'm pretty new, but seems like a pretty helpful place to be. So, do tell, what's the title of your album?

3. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Hi and welcome to the forums.

4. jenna_benna

jenna_benna Member

Thank you for the welcome! I don't necessarily want to start off here linking to my music, but if you're really interested you can easily find me on a site called soundcloud under the artist name Jenna F. :)

5. jenna_benna

jenna_benna Member

Thank you Trilby! :)

6. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Welcome to Writing Forums, Jenna!

I hope you find what you're looking for here, whatever your interests in writing.

This forum aims to provide the best workshopping resources on the internet, and to that end we have a few rules which you should familiarise yourself with before you get stuck in. The main section of the site is the Writing Workshop, where members can post their writing in order to receive critique of their work.

However, before we allow members to post their work, they must have met some basic requirements. Firstly, you must have been a member for fourteen days, and have made twenty posts on the forum overall (please note, posts in Word Games do not count towards this). This is so that members, when they post their work, have familiarised themselves with the forums and contributed to them (as well as hopefully learned something for themselves). Secondly, members must provide two constructive reviews of other people's work for each piece of their own that they wish to post. This is because we believe that the focus of workshopping should be equally upon giving reviews as receiving them, as they allow a writer to practice and improve their editing skills, which they can then apply to their own writing.

Beyond the Writing Workshop, you will find that we have extensive forums for discussion of aspects of writing, as well as a community area for general discussion. We also run periodic short story and poetry contests, which are good for challenging yourself and expanding your skills.

If you have any questions or problems, then the moderators (myself, Cogito, Lemex and Dante Dases) should be your first port of call. Any technical problems with the site itself should be directed to Daniel, the site administrator and owner. I would recommend you have a look over the rules so that you know what to expect, and what is expected. But aside from that, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Banzai

7. AmesWorld

AmesWorld New Member

Excellent music Jenna. I don't use a word like “excellent” unless I mean it. I'm a picky music listener, and I'd listen to your music. I know you're not here to self-promo; I enjoy music a lot and was just curious. Curiosity satisfied... we'll just talk writing now :)

8. jenna_benna

jenna_benna Member

Thanks AmesWorld, I appreciate that! So now yes, let's definitely talk about writing. :) Oh, and hey, I used to live in Seattle-ish too. Snohomish to be exact. I often find myself wishing I were back.

9. AmesWorld

AmesWorld New Member

That's awesome; I live in Kitsap County— just a short ferry ride from Seattle. A long while ago I used to live in Southern California and not so long ago in Central California. I love the Pacific Northwest... the song "America" by Marcy Playground sums it up for me pretty well, "...yes I always wanna be Right here"

10. jenna_benna

jenna_benna Member

Oh, very cool. :) I lived there for a little over 5 years for a video game job I had in Redmond. It was the first place I'd ever lived where I truly formed a deep appreciation for the beauty of nature. Just absolutely magnificent and awe inspiring, every day. Mt. Rainier peeking through the clouds, Mt. Baker, Stevens Pass, Deception Falls, Pikes Place, going to Uwajimaya in Seattle, Snoqualmie snow, my god I guess I miss it up there more than I'd thought. :)

11. AmesWorld

AmesWorld New Member

Small world! I had been involved with the video game industry for many years. I've probably seen you around GDC. Tho I don't go anymore, I prefer to stay around home. Plus I've moved more into long distance learning and motion graphics/video production.

I do agree, lovely area up here. However I must admit, California has a gorgeous coast. That's the main thing I miss... coastal sunsets and the smell of atomized ocean water. The Puget Sound doesn't have any significant wave action so there is seldom that “feel” of coastal air.

12. jenna_benna

jenna_benna Member

Oh yeah? Super cool and small world indeed. :) I'm sort of moving on myself after so many years but I still dabble in it now and then.

I hear you, and I wish I could say I'm near the water myself but Palm Springs is a desert oasis; beautiful and lovely, but no where near the ocean, and I do so love the ocean.

So what kind of things do you write or like to write (sometimes different things entirely, haha)?

13. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

Hiya Jenna, fellow songwriter here. I used to live in SoCal as well -- Ventura.

I'll dig you up on Soundcloud. I've got a couple of songs there myself.

Welcome here. :)

14. AmesWorld

AmesWorld New Member

Many, many, years ago I used to write short fiction stories, but only had one published by a small literary magazine. Also I would write a non-fiction article now and again for a manufacturing trade magazine. I dabbled in lyrics and poetry a small bit; just for myself.

Life distracted me, however, and it's been a long while now since I've written anything outside of emails and SMS/IMs. My plan is to start with the basics ... study grammar, structure, style.

As for genre; I'm pretty eclectic. I lean toward sci-fi, fantasy, and horror. However I have a drama in my head which I think could be a novel. Or maybe short story.

15. jenna_benna

jenna_benna Member

Hey, cool, thanks for the welcome. Send me a message on Soundcloud if you like and I'll check out your stuff as well. :)

16. jenna_benna

jenna_benna Member

Nice. Well I look forward to talking about writing with you and reading what you come up with now that you're getting back in. :)