1. cometalii

cometalii New Member

Hello! I'm new here.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cometalii, Oct 20, 2013.

Hey everyone,

My name is Hellen and I would like to write well in English. I'm not an English native-speaker, though, I understand most things perfectly. I don't have problems speaking either, well, sometimes, English is confusing and way more complex than my native tongue. I was writing my professor an email yesterday and took me 2 hrs to write it. I couldn't figure get the sentence right. Something was wrong and I didn't know why. I was trying to ask her about this dance performance. I wanted to know if it was okay to go to the one I picked (sent her the link). The sentence went like this:

"I'm also looking for dance performances for this weekend. I found one, but I would like to know whether "name of the dance group" is okay. " --> that "is okay" sounded weird to me. Then, I tried with the "would"

""I'm also looking for dance performances for this weekend. I found one, but I wanted to check with you first to see whether "name of the dance group" WOULD be okay -- that WOULD, I didn't know if it was correct. would be okay? will be okay? is okay? I'm just confused. At least when I speak, these little things can be hidden if I make the effort, but not in writing.

I'm in college and I do use the writing center a lot, however, all tutors though are good writers, they haven't been able to help me much except for correcting. I've been to private lessons and went through 4 different tutors, it wasn't a good experience, and they are extremely expensive. I'm only a student, I do work but I have bills to pay. $100/hr for him to use this thing "dropbox" wasn't too nice of a deal. I was looking for someone who can tell me why and how about things, not to correct my paper and send it back to me through the net and claiming spending 3 hrs on a 3-paged college essay about gun control. I have a 10 pages technical writing economics paper to turn in for Wednesday, and I've only written the introduction. I got stuck on the structures. I looked and looked everywhere only, and there's a lot of information, but not my specific one of my question.

Anyway, sorry for the long post...see, even posting long posts is wrong...everything should be precise and to the point....my ramblingsss.... sorry, I'm too frustrated! I will be using the site for resources. and maybe even find a specific room for questions.

Thank you!

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

welcome to the forums, hellen!

i mentor many aspiring writers whose first language is not english, so until you've fulfilled the site requirements for having work critiqued, feel free to email me for help with any problems/questions...

in re that sentence, either 'is okay' or 'would be okay' are perfectly okay... ;)

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com