Tags:
  1. Bookish_Introvert

Bookish_Introvert Member

Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bookish_Introvert, May 27, 2015.

Hi, I'm new to the forums. I've been writing basically my whole life, but I don't have real experience as a published author. Part of that is because I had to drop out of high school, and I haven't been able to start on my GED or go to college just yet. Although, honestly, I don't think it is absolutely necessary to have a degree in writing to be a good author. I do think it probably helps, though :-D"
    Anyway, I write YA, fantasy, romance, drama original fiction and I occasionally write fanfiction for practice and for fun. I did grow up writing fanfiction because when I was younger I got into a rut with my writing. I didn't what to write or how to make it interesting, and I feel like fanfiction was just the right amount of difficult to help me learn to write better and I found it very inspiring. I draw a lot of my inspiration from my own life experiences, from comic books, or superhero movies or cartoons. Not so much from books, so I guess that is something different about me. I don't know. The novel I'm currently working on is a YA urban-fantasy novel and I look forward to sharing it with you all.

2. Mordred85

Mordred85 Active Member

Welcome to the forum!

I don't consider myself to be the most avid reader, but regardless of having a degree or not, it's extremely beneficial to read books. Not just books, but anything you can find. Well written articles on blogs or web-sites that cater to things you like as well. I truly believe that it will improve your grammar and vocabulary. I have a foggy memory of high-school, but I know it wasn't exactly my favorite place either. Taking GED courses was hard for me, especially mathematics. Don't feel limited to what you can do. One thing I currently do is I pick a news web-site and read at least one article a day. It helps me immensely.
    Of course, you're not obligated to do anything I mentioned, but that's just my opinion.

Also, urban-fantasy is a popular genre nowadays. It's always in demand. As far as writing fan-fiction, a lot of people like to start there before attempting anything else. It's perfectly normal to gain experience that way. Writing is supposed to be fun! I like reading some comic-books too, but you should try reading some urban-fantasy novels just to see what's out there.

Glad to see more new members. I'm very interested in reading your work in the near-future.

3. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Welcome, Bookish_Introvert!

There are a lot of people around here who has some kind of degree in CW, but there are also a lot who has never taken a single lesson on the subject (like me, for example). I'm sure you'll fit right in!

Here's a link to the New Member Guide, by the way. It will walk you through the forum's rules and other useful stuff.

Have fun!

4. The Mad Regent

The Mad Regent Senior Member

Hi! Welcome to the forum. :)

I recently joined myself. You shouldn't worry about not having a degree in Creative Writing or English Language. I don't have one, either.

I'm looking forward to reading your stuff!