Tags:
  1. LittleTwistedMe

LittleTwistedMe Member

Hello,

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LittleTwistedMe, Jun 26, 2018.

So, the basics huh? I guess... I'm female and I'm married. I live in the United States.

I'm here because I'm trying to get back into writing. I started writing as a child. I began working on first novel at nineteen. It wasn't very good but it was my first attempt at a longer piece of fiction. It felt good to write back then. I deeply miss that feeling.

I've written a large amount of short stories and a handful of several novels. However, I've never been utterly thrilled about my work. In my teens a certain cliche sunk into me and never really left... It followed me into college where my professors gladly offered me good grades but I still couldn't shake the phrase.

"Diamond in the rough."

Through out the years I made attempts to post my work on forums such as this and I still couldn't shake that damn statement. Soon, I found myself among people who offered nothing more than negativity and contempt. Why? Oh, I'm not sure. Maybe, my style of writing wasn't something they enjoyed? Perhaps, I showed too much enthusiasm that was mistaken for arrogance? I wasn't given much constructive criticism. It was either dissenting remarks or nothing at all.

Whatever is what, I found myself full of back talk and questions. I was shaken and my confidence suffered. I would start a piece and trash it then start again and trash it. I wrote less and less until I stopped all together.

Friends and family offered me compliments but they were the kind of candy coated obligatory hugs that don't really help. Don't get me wrong I appreciated it but realistically only one of them had grounds to say anything as no one else had read a single word of my work.

So, here I am dipping my foot into the proverbial pool once again. I'm trying to fight off the back talk and just have fun with it. I know I'm not a good writer but I also know I'm not terrible either. I'm starting off slow with some short horror stories.

My husband tells me that I need to find what felt good about writing again. I agree with him. However, I've never subscribed to the concept of writing for oneself like he does.

2. MikeyC

MikeyC Active Member

Welcome, the community here is great. I hope you enjoy your stay.

I write to entertain, as a hobby, and to get all these damn ideas out of my head! Sounds like you should just . . . . . . write ;-)

Rgds

LittleTwistedMe likes this.
  3. LittleTwistedMe

LittleTwistedMe Member

Thanks MikeyC! I'm already enjoying the vibe here. It seems so much different from the other writing forums I was involved in. Also, yeah my husband keeps telling me that too. "Just write, dork." I finally took his advice and wrote a piece a few days ago. It felt... Good.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Welcome. I too have trouble with where to fit my writing in. I'm learning a lot here. Posting small excerpts for plot development, etc, should be okay. Look around and absorb as much as you can before posting. I would have waited a little longer, in hindsight. Get to know some of us characters, there's cool stuff to get into.

5. LittleTwistedMe

LittleTwistedMe Member

Thanks Some Guy, I'm sort of well... Okay, I'll be honest. I'm devouring this forum. However, I am impatient to post my own work. Still, I'm obeying the rules. I'm enjoying the works and people here.

Edited to add, Ack, let me clarify. I am impatient but I love the concept. It means that there's a better chance for when I do post something that it does get a review.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  6. Some Guy

I paid for the shortcut, but I have to say it would have been better to wait. I would have paid double, they don't ask for much here. Critique anything you can. Hang out in Creative Writing, and try not to be consumed by The Lounge - I failed, it's awesome!

On a side note, if you want to barf 1k excerpts at each other, for discussion purpose in PM, I'm good with that. I feel the need to bounce stuff around before putting it on the block.

7. LittleTwistedMe

LittleTwistedMe Member

Um, I'd call myself a starving artist but ah I don't think I'm good enough to call myself an "artist." Heheh. Although, I may toss a few dollars their way when I can. I think I posted a few times in the Lounge but I'll try not to get sucked in. I make no promises. Mwahaha.

I'm all for the splattering of words. Go for it sometime. Although, you may find that my name is so very true...

8. Some Guy

well you've seen my worst - gak! Was just 'posed to be a dare thing, thought it would get banned! I pulled it. There's plenty o' splattery stuff in proper context. MC is intimidated with himself for good reason. They all love each other crazy so of course they go wild, but guys have conflicts about sex, too.

9. Zerotonin

Zerotonin Serotonin machine broke

Welcome to the forums!

If you don't mind me asking, what genre do you tend to find yourself in most? I'm always curious to know with new members.

Some Guy is definitely right about giving yourself time to see how the forum ticks. Some critics will give you a gushing review but provide little tweaks, while some will tear your story to shreds (in a constructive way, I promise), all in the name to help you progress as a writer. And then there are the dozens of others who are somewhere in the middle, so you'll always have people to give you critiques and help.

If you have any questions, always feel free to reach out!

10. LittleTwistedMe

LittleTwistedMe Member

Hello Zerotonin, love the name, by the way, thanks for the welcome.
    The easiest genre for me to write is erotica. However, some people see it as taboo. I believe there's a fine line between telling a story to enlighten, engage, drive passion and telling a quick fap fodder story with little skill needed. That being said, my real desire is Horror and thrillers.

I'm fine with little tweaks and boosts in confidence. I'm also fine with a piece being torn apart or a mixed review as long as it's constructive. I really do like the concept of having to critique other people's work before posting my own. It means that there is a better chance of my stuff being read and reviewed. I do want to grow and learn. I've taken English courses and they haven't really helped. Sure, I learned a few new tricks but nothing substantial. Not to say that my professors lacked the skill or that I didn't pay attention...

I do have questions. Specifically pertaining to allowable content. If I chose to share any of my erotic works I want to make sure that I'm not breaking any rules. I want to shock with my horror pieces, not my erotica. Heh. Although, some of my horror pieces can get quite graphic...

I have already given a handful of reviews on other people's work but I find myself trying to maintain a balance. I know what it's like to be faced with harsh reality and that's not the type of review I want to give. I'm not an egocentric person so I wouldn't want a review to reflect arrogance either. Still, I do want to help. The last thing I would want to do is offend someone.

11. Some Guy

My 'Mischief' experiment was not banned for content. I would say few limits, but my lesson is presentation in context. If I had provided background for the excerpt, it would be raw but states of mind can change context drasticly. I myself avoid specific age in a scene, rape, intentional discomfort, dangerous behavior, implications of child sex. I keep to consentual behavior, and try to show permission 'take my', 'hold my', put...'.

12. LittleTwistedMe

LittleTwistedMe Member

I thought a few things would be common sense... Rape/Incest/Any involvement of a minor/Beastiality/Certain bodily fluids/Anything that wasn't consensual.
    What I'm more concerned about pertains to consensual non-consent, such as abduction stories. Certain fetishes... And where we can talk about things of this nature. I may be breaking the rules by even mentioning the subject here. I don't want to do that... If it's going to cause any distress I'd rather avoid the subject altogether.

13. Some Guy

Body fluids as part of typical consentual activity have been posted before. Abduction is a good question, a note to Wreybies for a clear limit is advisable. My take is reference to a past activity from victim point of view is fair, ongoing activity or perpetration not so much. Fetishes are sometimes posted here. @Cave Troll has a story with fetish activity, so he may be well informed. It is required to include an advisory in the post title, there are clear rules for that. Erotica may only be posted in 'erotica' forums, obviously. Mention in 'erotica' discussion is fine. Look around in the posts and you'll get a vibe for how it's treated. Always feel free to ask questions.
    I'm fine with trading excerpts in PM for honest discussion without judgement.

Cave Troll likes this.
  14. LittleTwistedMe

LittleTwistedMe Member

Thanks Some Guy. Um, I was talking about er ah other bodily fluids. I don't generally write about those. I'll have to message the Wreybies, when I find them heh, about abduction. When I write about it the main character is not a victim. It's like the phrase, "It hurts but feels so good." However, with social media and consent being a major hot topic I want to avoid upsetting anyone. I knew about the advisory so that's not the issue. It's more about gray areas, or what could be considered gray. I've looked around the posts but haven't really found a feel for how people relate to the topic. Unless it's reserved specifically for the erotica section?

I know you're open to trading excerpts and I appreciate that. Thank you.

15. Some Guy

Yeah, I've become fairly objective. I meant poke around the 'erotica' posts specificly.

16. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    What about me and my Fetish knowledge? :p

17. LittleTwistedMe

LittleTwistedMe Member

Apparently, I won't scare you. XD

18. LittleTwistedMe

LittleTwistedMe Member

You know when you meet someone new and you sort of have to feel them out to see just how vanilla they are? You don't want to freak them out and you don't want to out yourself at the same time? Yeah, that's what I'm doing in the erotica section of the forum...

19. Some Guy

Didn't one of yours have instruments?

20. Cave Troll

Gonna take a bit to scare me. ;)
    I play with pointy things IRL, so
    I usually scare others. :p

21. LittleTwistedMe

LittleTwistedMe Member

Ditto. I also teach others how to use those pointy things and ah well... Let's just say I'm experienced. See name for reference.

Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  22. Cave Troll

I has no one to play pointy things with. :superfrown:
    No one in the local scene is into that,
    they are all about the impact play and wax.
    (Plus they are all married/coupled up so...
    best avoid anything awkward.)

23. LittleTwistedMe

LittleTwistedMe Member

And there I go running to PM you. Not that I am ashamed, I'm just trying to keep a little anonymity. It is a mostly vanilla forum...