1. miss sunhine

miss sunhine New Member

Help for making a strong lead for a Psychological Thriller?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by miss sunhine, Apr 14, 2012.

So I'm trying to work on my characters and now starting a Psychological Thriller. I always give flaws, mixed personality and a relevant backstory to the plot if I need too. Are there any other things I can do to create a good strong MC for this type of Genre which is very character focused?

(sorry if vague or don't make sense I have a rotten cold and can't think straight.)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Have you studied psychology, or at least researched a disorder you wish to write about? Case studies would be helpful.

3. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

Characters are developed through the eyes of other characters, their own thoughts, dialog or actions. You can portray a strong visual image in the eyes of other characters or you can portray a strong psychological character via the adversity they overcome, mental and/or physical.

4. miss sunhine

miss sunhine New Member

Cogito - Thanks for your answer. Yes I've studied Psychology for quite a while, but was actually asking for tips on character creating not fitting this character to an illness. Her Mental Health declines throughout the book, very slowly. But a Psychological Thriller doesn't have to include a mental Illness.
    superpsycho - thanks, well she's seen in different ways through the novel but I'll make sure I do what you say.

5. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

Don't worry about what "I" say, it's what you think works for the story line. All I can do is, maybe if I'm lucky, point you in the right direction in things you might consider.