1. Sham

Sham New Member

Help! Fuyuki's First Mission?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Sham, May 1, 2011.

Hello! I'm writing a novel in 2nd person (Interactive Narrator) and I need a bit of an idea. It revolves around the fact of a little kid(Around the age of 12-14, named Fuyuki Ethan Blade) meeting a strange person (Master Wohgo) in his small villiage in Russia. Master Wohgo teleports Fuyuki into a strange guild where eventually he will learn magic(Called the Omegan Words) I'm having trouble, though, creating Fuyuki's first mission. I want it to be exciting and him teaming up with people from the 'guild' and eventually having a close life-and-death call. Can anyone give me any ideas?

2. Wasp

Wasp New Member

I don't like those types of novels. Or wait, what? I don't understand what you mean. Furuaki or whatever is the MC?

Anyways, maybe he can catch a magical dog or something?

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Saving friends who got kidnapped by evil forces?

Stopping an overlord from taking your protag's people's freedoms away? (Think Sauron from LOTR)

Stopping someone who is going to unleash a biohazard disease, or some other equivalent, that will devastate life as they know it?

Or do you mean something simpler...(the above ideas could be an overall mission throughout the story, obviously not in one go, but these are more one-time missions)

Saving an animal
    Stopping a bully
    Helping a kid in an abusive situation
    Catching corruption and exposing it

Also, remember age 12-14 is not a little kid. A kid sure, but not a little kid. Make sure you don't fall into the trap of making kid protags unrealistically childish; 12-year-old girls playing with dolls all the time, that kind of thing.

4. Sham

Sham New Member

Fuyuki is the Mc and the story-teller.

5. teacherayala

teacherayala New Member

First I would figure out what the Omegan words are. They sound like conjuring words--capable of creating matter or at the very least reforming it. I would say that if you are using Japanese names, consider adding some spirits into the mix as nature spirits are usually odd, colorful characters that are also somewhat dangerous to mess with. Also, it's necessary for him to undergo training because the Omegan words themselves are dangerous if they are not used correctly. A slight mispronunciation or writing of them could result in disaster. Also, there should be rules about exactly WHAT can be created, and perhaps some consequences for using them, such as you can't create something unless one of the elements is there and unless you can offer some of your own personal energy to the process. In terms of his close call, it could perhaps be while he is in training, and he has to think fast in order to rescue a friend, so he uses his magic before he is ready.

6. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe New Member

I think I know where you are trying to go with this one Sham.

For a first quest, it needs to have a few attributes in order to create a balance within your story as a whole.

1) Keep it simple
    - This shouldn't be too complex. It needs to introduce the character and the reader into this world without overbearing details. Something like retrieving a vial of spiritual liquid from a hidden lake or inscribing his names on an ancient ruin.

2) Teach a lesson
    - Normally, characters like these make mistakes on their first go (unless they prove to be some kind of savant). Simply put, the MC needs to get into some kind of trouble. The best way to learn is to make mistakes.

3) Leave nothing left behind
    - A first mission and a simple mission should be something that is easily resolved. Unless you intend to use this mission to expose something later on (IE the mystic liquid from the example earlier can be used to summon forbidden magic) then tie up all loose ends.

4) Enjoy victory or seek punishment
    - At the conclusion of the mission, the MC needs to be rewarded and/or punished for their efforts. Whether it be a sing of their praise or a knock at their ego, something has to be said at the end that will wrap everything up into a nice little package so that the characters can move on from this one and dive straight into the next one.

7. Sham

Sham New Member

Thanks a lot everyone! I never thought about this. As for the 'words', yes, one slip up can result in the end of the world, and there is really no limit to what can be created. But the words take ultimate power and stamina, so say you wanted to destroy the world? You would perish before you had the chance to do any real damage. I'm up to where Fuyuki is teleported by Master Wohgo into a room with a bed, a door, and a sink. He takes the leg of the bed and smashes the handle off the door, then unlocking it. He then runs down an eerie hallway, and I was hoping he finds a half-ancient, half-high tech place, like there would be a bunch of old statues and stone covering them, but there are all high tech computers around.

8. Sham

Sham New Member

To be honest, the Omegan words were based on the Divine words, created by the settlers of Egypt. I took divine and replaced it with the Greek Omega. :D

9. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

I'm more curious about the character's ethnicity to be honest. That japanese name seems like it's coming out of nowhere. Especially considering the rest of his name... and the fact that they are in Russia.

10. Sham

Sham New Member

That factors into the story; he has an interesting family.

11. Irontrousers

Irontrousers New Member

Please don't name your protagonist Fuyuki Ethan Blade. I implore you, don't do it.