1. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

Help Me Create a Fictional Gadget!

Discussion in 'Research' started by tristan.n, Jan 11, 2011.

Okay, my characters have traveled from a forest that had minimal technology to a crime-stricken city where the technology is advanced, but not over-the-top chrome and touch pads everywhere and such. The characters are staying at an inn and they need to use a phone type of device to get in touch with someone they're trying to find. I don't want them to use a telephone, because it's more of a fantasy story, and I think adding a phone would kind of take away from the idea of a fictional world. I also don't want them to use telepathy or anything because they're not that cool. lol

One of the characters is a girl who loves gadgets and little pieces of portable technology, but I can't think of a communication gadget that isn't a walkie talkie or a wristwatch that she can talk into. So I need help thinking of something neat but not over-the-top that is either portable or that the characters find in their room at the inn. Any suggestions?

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

do you watch Torchwood they use hands free kit ear pieces ?

3. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

A drum, which when hit, causes a corresponding drum in another part of the world to resonate with the same frequencies.

A large shell, which when talked into, causes the sound to transfer to another shell.

A book, which when written in, causes the text to appear in another book.

A really, really fast creature which carries messages between people, like a homing pigeon, but smarter.

A divining rod which causes synchronous events to happen to the person you concentrate on. For example, if you hold the rod and concentrate on the other person, things that remind them of you will start to pop up around them. Then, when they know someone is trying to contact them, they throw leaves on the ground or something similar, and through the patterns they form, the message is relayed.

4. Belgoran

Belgoran New Member

A pair of gloves, used for sign language.

When a person answers wearing a corresponding set, it causes your own hands make the necessary signs, vice versa.

5. Allegro Van Kiddo

Allegro Van Kiddo New Member

All great ideas!

If you want to have some fun, call it something like Sir Melvin's Communicatalator. You have a brand name with an old time science name.

6. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

Thanks for the ideas! :) I'll test a few out and see which one fits in best (or maybe that'll even jump start my creative juices, too)!

7. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

I think I would have a cup attached to a piece of string....

like a kids home made phone.

The characters could wonder how long the piece of string is as it travels off into the distance.

Yeah, that ones for free. I'll charge next time.

8. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

Where's the "like" button on this thing?

9. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

In addition to personal communications devices, here are some ideas for you.

There was a real world, light-speed communications tool that may be of use to you. The catch it that, though fast in transmission, it has a very low bit-rate and was a bit slow at the nodes.

There were series of towers, where operators would read the signal coming from one tower, and reproduce it through shutters/arms or flashing lights to the next tower. You will want to look up "semaphore line" or "optical telegraph".

For short distance communication, look to radio tech. Keeping it pre-vacuum tube would let you control the tech if you want. If they have radios, then they could easily have wire recorders. Record something onto the wire, speed it up and broadcast it for high-bit rate transmission. On the other end, it's recorded again, slowed down, and either listened to (for voice) or decoded (for data).

-Frank

10. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Or "The clacks" if you are a Discworld fan.

Really you need to decide what sort of technology the place has. Is it steampunk? Is it realistic? Is it futuristic? Is it fantasy?

11. 8-cell

8-cell New Member

I think you can easily be creative with this one. Entire discussions could be recorded. Maybe someone steals a book and uses it to his or her advantage.

Very interesting idea.

12. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

These remind me of the D&D games I would play with friends in college. :)

My character made two bags that were linked. One person could put something in the bag. The other person could be on the other side of the world and pull the item out of his bag.

13. bubblegirl101

bubblegirl101 New Member

how about some animals relay messages or you could have the character send up a flag or something to signify that they need help? just some ideas i thought offhand. good luck with your fantasy story.:)