Help me with this problem, please.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Morgan Elizabeth Waites, May 17, 2012.

1. Afion

Afion New Member

I've read books like this, where the writer tries to keep the reader in the dark about the real gender of the 'man'. The problem is, it's been done so many times before, I generally work it out halfway into the book, so the shock isn't very shocking

2. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

I agree with cogito on this.
    You know there were a few women who fought with Nelson disguised as men, and also in the army? You could have her/him a returned hero from Waterloo who is going to get a medal or something--obviously, if the secret is discovered that won't come about. Lots to lose there. There have also been cases of women marrying women who didn't become suspicious that the marriage wasn't consummated because they didn't know the facts of life.
    BTW, not all women have breasts that are difficult to disguise. Not if they have well developed muscle and are 34AA (like me). Just think of some women field athletes.

3. There_She_Goes

There_She_Goes Member

Here's what I think:

a) If it's comedy, go for it! Shock the readers! Drop the "God, he's actually a woman" -bomb, 'cause comedy is allowed to be a bit exaggerated and "off-the-off", if you could say that... It only makes comedies lovable when things happen without the reader being prepared for them. What about a quick-witted conversation that shocks both the other mc and the readers? Perhaps a tumultuous monologue :D?
    b) Even if it's drama, I don't see any reason to avoid the mc's true identity being a secret. As long as you don't come clean at ones, it's only exciting to have something crucial unveiling as the story goes on.