1. rainy849

rainy849 New Member

Short Story Help: Naming a crime case

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by rainy849, Jul 31, 2008.

So you know how some crime cases get named like "The Beauty Killer" of "The After-School Strangler"? (Heartsick - Chelsea Cain) I'm writing a short story involving mysterious kidnappings across the state of Michigan for my creative writing class, and I want to come up with a name for the case. Any suggestions?

Thanks! :)

2. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Have you thought about how the victims will be chosen, and if there will be some special method or trademark connected to the kidnappings? That would make it easier to find a suitable name.

3. rainy849

rainy849 New Member

The victims are kids between ages 8 and 12, and not all of them are necessarily murdered.

4. Ungood

Ungood New Member

"Child Robbers"

Hows that work for you?

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If you are naming a story, I suggest leaving the final selection of a title until the rest of the story has been completed. By then a title may demand its selection. :)

Meanwhile, you can stick with a working title. It is easily changed later.

The same is true to a lesser degree for the nickname given to a criminal or gang by the the media or the public. I say "to a lesser degree" because there may be indirect references that creep into dialogue or narration, in addition to the easily-replaced literal name.

6. wackerob

wackerob Banned

how about unresolved kidnappings or mysterious dissappearances. Maybe even the cat and mouse kidnappings.:):)

7. illuminati

illuminati New Member

Rainy849, titles like "The Beauty Killer" and "The After-School Strangler" are associated to the killer. Usually it's based on the way the killer offs his victims. So if he strangles ladies at a train station, he'll likely be called "The Station Strangler" or something to that effect.

There must be some sort of link in the kidnappings in order for the police to determine that it's a Serial crime. If the kids are between 8 and 12, you could call your character, "The Cradle Snatcher" or something to that effect.

Imagine that: "You better behave or The Cradle Snatcher will get ya!"

Dum dum daaaaaa!