1. Holo

Holo New Member

Help naming fictional resistance group

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Holo, Aug 2, 2012.

In my story there is a paranormal moderator group known as the Paranormal Affairs Syndicate that keeps track of and regulates the supernatural community. They were meant to keep peace between humans and supernaturals but it has turned into a system that oppresses the supernaturals. The supernaturals consist of werewolves, spirits (inter dimensional beings that include ghosts, fae, spirits, demons) and magicians. The magicians have it best but they are still oppressed in a way. There are nobles who are wealthy magicians, state magicians who basically work for the government in exchange for housing and other necessities, but cannot have a life of their own, and the lesser magicians who are free from the government's control. Unfortunately, they are also restricted from most spell books and resources and usually live in poverty if they cannot make a living off of their magic.
    Werewolves get it the worst because they are the only non-human supernatural entity that originates from this world. There are factions of renegade packs in the north that fight with the Syndicate, but the rest living amongst humans must abide by the rules of the assimilation program. Werewolves are not given second chances after slip ups, so they are dealt with in a very strict fashion.
    There is a resistance group not in the north who are not allied with the renegade packs. The renegades take hostages and kill innocent people. This group is non violent and mostly steals from nobles and intercepts trains carrying cargo for the syndicate and distributes resources to the supernatural community (notably werewolves and lesser magicians). But the problem is I need a name for them. I toyed with the Black Knights but decided against it. Does anyone have any suggestions for names for this organization. (As a side note, they keep their identities a secret because the Syndicate would stamp them out if they knew who they were).

2. luna claire

luna claire Member

I think it depends on how you want this group viewed. Practical or romanticized. If you want to give them a symbolic, magical name then I suggest researching mythology, folklore and superstition. Luna, Artemis, Selene and Diana are all names of Roman and Greek goddesses of the moon. Maat was the Egyptian goddess of justice and Thoth was the god of the moon, and was later associated with magic and wisdom. Circe was a sorceress. I'm not really good at naming things, so I appologize ahead of time. For example: The Children of Thoth.
    On the more functional, practical side you could give them a military-like name, or mix the two. Example: the Sylph Cell. Or the Allied Resistance of Supernatural Oppression and then use the initials, ARSO or AROSO. You could also go for a simplistic name, just a title like the Liberators, Benefactors, or Phantoms. I appologize again for the awful examples. My suggestion boils down to figuring out how this resistance is viewed by others or how they want others to view them and then go from there. Hopefully it helps a little and I wish you good luck! :) I like the idea for the story.

3. Holo

Holo New Member

I actually kind of like The Phantoms. Because they are elusive and represent those who are treated like they are invisible. Do you think this is too cliche or cheesy? Does anyone have anymore suggestions?

4. Lemontine13

Lemontine13 New Member

I suggest a tongue-in-cheek statement against the name of the Paranormal Affairs Sydicate. The anacronym of that would be PAS (PASS), so they could cheekily make something with the anachronym FAIL, either something like "Fighters Against Injustice for Lycanthropes" or something seemingly innocent to any PAS supporters such as "Fridge And Igloo Lovers" (or something ridiculous like that) but meaningful to its members because of the anacronym.

Hope that helps :)